• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

7 Years Passed, but Gone?

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Link was sleeping for 7 years in the Temple of Time!

How would you feel if you had seven years taken form you?

Me, given the circumstances...well I'm not sure actually. Surely I would miss many people, memories and experiences that would have been will never be. Then again...that would mean I am the Hero of Time.

Although Link can go back to being a child, those 7 years just aren't lived by the Hero. So no matter what, those 7 years are gone.

Thoughts?

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Link was sleeping for 7 years in the Temple of Time!

How would you feel if you had seven years taken form you?

Me, given the circumstances...well I'm not sure actually. Surely I would miss many people, memories and experiences that would have been will never be. Then again...that would mean I am the Hero of Time.

Although Link can go back to being a child, those 7 years just aren't lived by the Hero. So no matter what, those 7 years are gone.

Thoughts?

Well if I had it done to me exactly as it happened to Link OoT I'd be moderately upset. I'd just be saved seven years of being ridiculed by the kokiri such as Mido (he's such an a**) but then again I'd also be separated from my true love (and ultimately have to say goodbye to her forever). Then there's the fact that I'd be like a kid in an adult's body all alone in an evil world.

However if it had happened to me in my own way (with my own life up to then happening to me) then I'd be very much upset. First I'd miss out on tons of time with my friends (and 7 years would be a lot) and on top of that I'd be unprepared for the adult world. Then there's the fact that I'd probably be even more of a social reject due to the fact that I'd have missed out on so many crucial skills that most people would've learned at the age they are most available to be learned at (like driving).

All in all I'd be upset whether or not I had to save the world or if it happened to me in my own way or as it happened to Link in OoT. However if it happened to me in my own way then it would be much more extreme.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Overall, I'm a little confused to the question as the years aren't gone at all. This is why Zelda sends Link back to his childhood because she is sorry to have ripped him from it. She wants him to have the chance to live what he otherwise had missed. So, in the beginning of those 7 years "missed" we know that he has the experiences of MM.

So, if you're speaking literally of how I'd feel if I were Link, then I personally wouldn't really mind missing them as I got to go back and live the time anyway.

If you're speaking of "in general, if you missed 7 years of your life", then perhaps this should be moved to General Discussion.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Hmmm.

*Looks down on grown-up body*

You let me SLEEP through my most obnoxious years! I didn't have to be an angsty, annoying teenager! I didn't have to deal with the awkwardness of puerty! Thank you!

Nah. Really, I'd be confused, I think. I'm not sure I'd be really sad, as if I missed those years, I really didn't know what I'd missed.

When it comes to other people, I'd probably feel about how I do now regarding my family. I left all my relatives just about 5 years ago when I moved states. Whenever I get photographs of my nieces and nephews, I feel older all the time because, with the time between the photographs, they're growing up into people whose faces I'm recognizing less and less. I haven't been able to go back to my home state to visit...

... If I wind up having to move back there, I know I'm going to get in touch with everybody again and feel like a stranger because of how much of their lives I've missed. I think part of the reason why I don't want to move back is in the awkwardness I know I'd feel seeing folks face to face again.

Hanyou

didn't build that
It's a matter of how old you are.

Link went from a child to nearly an adult in the blink of an eye. I would find that traumatizing, especially given that my friends and family would likely have moved on in that short amount of time. That's exactly what Link faces--many of his friends don't even recognize him, and his relationship to all of the people with whom he'd become familiar had essentially changed.

Having seven years taken from your life is not a good thing.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Overall, I'm a little confused to the question as the years aren't gone at all. This is why Zelda sends Link back to his childhood because she is sorry to have ripped him from it. She wants him to have the chance to live what he otherwise had missed. So, in the beginning of those 7 years "missed" we know that he has the experiences of MM.

So, if you're speaking literally of how I'd feel if I were Link, then I personally wouldn't really mind missing them as I got to go back and live the time anyway.

If you're speaking of "in general, if you missed 7 years of your life", then perhaps this should be moved to General Discussion.

Hmm, I haven't played MM yet, so I didn't that happened. That lightens my feelings toward 7 years being taken hahah!

So, I suppose I'm looking for an answer that is literally as Link right after he becomes an adult, and finds out that no one really recognizes him, cities are gone, people are dead, etc.

I was answering this question without further knowledge about MM, but if you have that knowledge, then that's even better!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
That's the whole point of Zelda sending Link back in time. She wanted him to regain his lost time. It was very selfless and understanding of her.

As for when it first happened to Link? I don't think he was really all the worried about his lost time. According to Aonuma, the first thing on Link's mind was finding Zelda. He was too worried about her safety as well as Hyrule's to be concerned with himself. A hero through and through. <3

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
That's the whole point of Zelda sending Link back in time. She wanted him to regain his lost time. It was very selfless and understanding of her.

As for when it first happened to Link? I don't think he was really all the worried about his lost time. According to Aonuma, the first thing on Link's mind was finding Zelda. He was too worried about her safety as well as Hyrule's to be concerned with himself. A hero through and through. <3

That's so sweet! Yes, a true hero.

All I can think is that "At least he wasn't like Philip J. Fry of Futurama." For non-Futurama fans, the whole premise of the series is that a young man gets accidently cryogenically frozen on New Year's Eve, 1999. The mechanism on the chamber keeps him in stasis for one-thousand years, so he wakes up in "New New York" in the year 3000. His first reaction upon seeing the strange, futuristic cityscape and learning that he's a thousand years removed from his normal life is: "I'm in the future. Everything's changed. My parents...my girlfriend... my boss... they're all dead. WAHOO!!!"

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
Sticking to the actual question at hand,
Depends when those seven years occur.

I wouldn't mind it being in the age group it occurred in the game.
I'd mind it a whole lot more after having children.

Missing out on being there for 7 years of my speculative children's life would be a fate worse than death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom