• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

NX Discussion and Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Assuming this is true though....

It does make sense
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-k1-processor.html
The Tegra Mobile processors are EXTREMELY powerful. They can run Unreal Engine 4, which makes complete sense considering that Dragon Quest 11 was confirmed for the NX.
This makes a mobile device on par with the XBO and the PS4. Which is quite stunning actually. You will be able to take Breath of the Wild, titles such as FF15 and the Witcher 3 on the go. Or, if you want. You can play it on your TV no problem. Having a handheld console hybrid like this would be truly innovative. People will be able to take all of their high quality modern games on the go. Which gives the NX its selling point and something to make the NX stand out from the other consoles.

This will also combine the 3DS and Wii U development teams, pulling in resources to one console. Which is a good idea, and will keep a steady stream of games to the year to come.

So. This has innovation, power, and I think it is a very good idea. Assuming it is true.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The main thing that I want to know is how much harddrive space the NX will have. Do cartridges even take up that much space on the 3DS?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Alright.... Upon doing a bit more research... I see a lot of legitimacy of these leaks. Especially since more outlets can confirm this with their own sources.

Also, for those concerned about specs of the console

This does a fantastic job of explaining this very thing.
They also speculate that the NX will us the Tegra X2, which is currently unreleased.

This puts the specs that are more powerful than the Wii U. So we have the most powerful handheld gaming device ever made. This handheld will run Breath of the Wild better than the Wii U can, and it can be taken on the go.

I am not sure how modern games such as the Witcher 3 could fair on a console such as this. However, with optimization for a handheld, where you can use smaller polygons and render less things on one time, I believe it could be done. How it will look on a TV, I am not sure. However, Square is indeed putting dragon quest 11 on NX using unreal engine 4, so I think it could be done. A next generation Sonic game will be coming to NX as well. So take that what you will.

I believe that the price point of this hybrid will be around the $250-350 range.

Seeing this. The NX gives me a lot of hope. All Nintendo needs to do is release some fantastic games for the system, and do what they did for the 3DS. Third parties are already planning and releasing games on this device as well.

The reason that this information has been exposed as well. That also has legitimacy. There is an investors meeting tonight in Japan. They are likely going to tell the world about the NX. So this information really came just a day early.

We have seen so many rumors at this point.... It's hard to believe or trust anything.
I really just want this thing to be unveiled. September 15th cannot come fast enough.
Why did you choose specifically the 15th of September?
If the NX price is good enough (something the wiiu failed at imo) ill get both, but i cant leave my wii collection behind.
The WiiU at launch was cheaper than both the PS4 and XB1 at their respective launches. I don't what more you want from Nintendo's console prices. Also remember that Nintendo has stated they want to at least break even on the console hardware for the NX. No more undercutting the hardware price to sell more games.
Alright.... Upon doing a bit more research... I see a lot of legitimacy of these leaks. Especially since more outlets can confirm this with their own sources.
Remember your salt intake with this one. Though this is a decent rumour, it does oppose the previous AMD rumours we have had. I am sure within time one side will be proven correct.

If what you say is correct though it will not be a bad thing as this is a powerful option for Nintendo to go with.

What we do know so far is that no one is complaining about the power of the NX. No one with NX SDKs that is. So this means they are genuinely ok with the power on the NX or Nintendo's NDA specifically prohibits them from complaining about the NX's power till March 2017. Both sides here are equally as plausible.

Nintendo is really making a statement to the world. What you do with a console is more important than how powerful it is. The NX will be powerful for the form factor it will have but even that power is secondary to what the NX is and how people interact with it. Nintendo wants (in my opinion) people to expect more than the same controller and TV screen experiences gamers have had for decades. Ninr=tendo want to provide that more and in doing so get the others (ie Sony and MS) to realise this too. Sony in part has with it's VR release coming soon.

This is the new gaming revolution. It started with touch screen gaming years ago in the iPhone and even before that. Now people are taking gaming and wanting to redefine essentially the definition of gaming. Pokemon Go is doing this as well. And in March 2017, Nintendo will too.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Assuming this is true though....

It does make sense
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-k1-processor.html
The Tegra Mobile processors are EXTREMELY powerful. They can run Unreal Engine 4, which makes complete sense considering that Dragon Quest 11 was confirmed for the NX.
This makes a mobile device on par with the XBO and the PS4. Which is quite stunning actually. You will be able to take Breath of the Wild, titles such as FF15 and the Witcher 3 on the go. Or, if you want. You can play it on your TV no problem. Having a handheld console hybrid like this would be truly innovative. People will be able to take all of their high quality modern games on the go. Which gives the NX its selling point and something to make the NX stand out from the other consoles.

This will also combine the 3DS and Wii U development teams, pulling in resources to one console. Which is a good idea, and will keep a steady stream of games to the year to come.

So. This has innovation, power, and I think it is a very good idea. Assuming it is true.
Every report I've read has the NX given the chipset it's using as weaker than the ps4/xb one when using actual benchmark tests. It'll be somewhere in between the Wii u and the Xbox one in my guess.

Also the X2 thing is just speculation. No evidence for it.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Every report I've read has the NX given the chipset it's using as weaker than the ps4/xb one when using actual benchmark tests. It'll be somewhere in between the Wii u and the Xbox one in my guess.

Also the X2 thing is just speculation. No evidence for it.
It is definitely more powerful than the Wii U. Even if it just uses the X1, then I am still certain that "next" gen games such as Dragon Quest 11 will be able to run on NX. It will just take a little bit more optimization. No only that, but it depends on the Nintendo Operating System as well. Android's OS, which all of the products with Tegras have, is still a complete mess for modern games. Leaving to the fact that they can get more power using a better operating system. Having a better optimized operating system means that they will get more power out of their consoles.

But there is still the fact that we know that third party support is coming for the launch of this console. Sonic 2017 is coming, among other games. These are all games that are on PC XBO and PS4 as well, and having the portability of these titles is a boon. This is important. There is also the fact that with these early 3rd party titles, and the combination of their portable and console development teams coming to develop for a single console, this means there will likely be very little game droughts. Which is very important and gives me a lot of hope for this system.

Mockup of the NX based on information we know now.
Source - Neogaf forums.

wENRMO6.jpg

2D1V37n.jpg

llQ4WiU.jpg

I'm sorry, but this looks stupid. I'm going to buy it for the games, but the design looks awful, in my opinion.

I'll probably warm up to it once it gets closer to release. Right now, it's a hard pill to swallow. Of course, the NX could look different or not even be this.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm sorry, but this looks stupid. I'm going to buy it for the games, but the design looks awful, in my opinion.

I'll probably warm up to it once it gets closer to release. Right now, it's a hard pill to swallow. Of course, the NX could look different or not even be this.
This is not the final design at all. It was only a mockup that Eurogamer.

Oh yeah, and regarding what you said on a different thread(to bring the discussion over here). Power wise, at the very least is more powerful than the Wii U. The Tegra X1 chip, using a terrible operating system for games, can outperform the system. With a new operating system, even with the X1, it could be foreseeable to port next gen games to the console. This is proven by the likes of DQ11 and Sonic 2017.
The speculation is due to an audible cooling fan being heard on the device kit which the X1 doesn't need. That's the only "Evidence" I've seen for it.
There is also the fact that Nintendo never uses commercial processors. They always get their processors custom made for their consoles. So we know for sure that Nintendo isn't using the Commercial X1 chip. Having the X2 being exclusive to the NX would make sense. Especially with how desperate NVidia has been to get their chips in one of the big 3's consoles.

This is not the final design at all. It was only a mockup that Eurogamer.

I never said it was the final design. I said that this design looks awful.

I know about the games that are coming to NX but find it hard to believe that DQ11 will look as good on the NX as it will on PS4, based on these designs. Again, I'm not one to base my opinion of a system based on power alone. Software has a lot to do with how much I enjoy a system. But I can see how some would be disappointed in a system that may not be on par with other current gen consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom