• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

NX Discussion and Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everything is pretty much on par with the Xbox one and ps4. Cool.
Internal hardware power wise yes. This is important to secure 3rd party ports to the NX. But as we know, Nintendo consoles are less about being powerful and more about being innovative. We do not know exactly how the NX will innovative the console space yet. We have some rumours on this though.
  • Backup data to Nintendo server (most likely My Nintendo)
One would hope this is game save data. I would pay an extra fee for this. This is totally needed. Not to play your saves on others machines, but as a backup just in case your NX data gets currupted and you have to redownload it. People would be ok with this as their saves would be more safe. This does not replace on console saves but it's another layer of protection for them.
  • Support for additional screen.
This does not say much. Technically the gamepad is an additional screen. So we will ahve to wait to see exactly what screens are meant by this.
  • Can handle ports of current-gen games.
Very good. PS5 and XB-next ports might be a little too powerful for the NX though. But that's ok. Nintendo has it's own exclusives. This is good for a different reason. It ensures that the 3rd party developers have the power in the NX to port their games here.
  • x86 architecture.
Good for the reasons mentioned above. Easier for 3rd parties to port their games to the NX. The downside is backwards compatability. I am certain the WiiU games will be played natively on the NX, based on the "WiiU and 3DS development will not be hurt by the NX" statements. Wii on the other hand? I don't know. The Wii on the WiiU VC is just using the Wii mode to play them natively. I am sure the NX can virtualise GC games just fine, it has the power to do so (based on what the dolphin emulator has taught us). Wii games though? I just don't know. It is common practice for Nintendo to only natively play the immediate predecessor's games. But Nintendo is selling (natively played) Wii games on the VC. People would be pissed if those could not be played on the NX. To that end the NX would also have ot support the Wiimote as well as a few of those games require the Wiimote to play. I am aware the Wiimote needs to die, but this does nothing towards that end. There is not many good Wii games that can't be converted to a more traditional input method. I guess even the Metroid Prime Trilogy could be just be remade to use the old GC style controls.
  • Will be able to interact with smartdevice apps.
This is a good thing. I would hope that Miitomo is the first app that gets this treatment. Secondly I want to see MyNintendo accessible on the NX. Heck MyMintendo should be accessible on the WiiU and 3DS. Why it is not, I fail to understand. I think Animal Crossing would work with this amazingly.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
PS5 and XBNext probably won't happen for at least 4 more years. Plus, if it is anything like this gen, the NX, PS4, and XBOne will be supported a full two years after these consoles released. That is, if this rumor is true.

PS5 and XBNext probably won't happen for at least 4 more years. Plus, if it is anything like this gen, the NX, PS4, and XBOne will be supported a full two years after these consoles released. That is, if this rumor is true.
Do you buy into the PS4.5 rumours?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Do you buy into the PS4.5 rumours?
Yes. However, all games made for the PS4.5 will be made to be played for the PS4. There will be very few games I.e. First Party exclusives and VR games that are only to PS4.5. Why would third parties ever want to cut their potential audience by 50 million people? In fact, this means that the PS4 and XBOne Generation have at least 3 years ahead of them, since they are putting a huge update to the console. In this case, Nintendo will be 1-2 years behind before they put out their next console. Which is actually a really good thing since it will be cheaper, more powerful, and have plenty of time to launch more games. It's exactly like the SNES days where SNES blew the Sega Genesis out of the water

Yes. However, all games made for the PS4.5 will be made to be played for the PS4. There will be very few games I.e. First Party exclusives and VR games that are only to PS4.5. Why would third parties ever want to cut their potential audience by 50 million people? In fact, this means that the PS4 and XBOne Generation have at least 3 years ahead of them, since they are putting a huge update to the console. In this case, Nintendo will be 1-2 years behind before they put out their next console. Which is actually a really good thing since it will be cheaper, more powerful, and have plenty of time to launch more games. It's exactly like the SNES days where SNES blew the Sega Genesis out of the water
I just hope it's not like the newer 3DS games. As in games can be played on the PS4 and PS4.5 but if the play experience on the PS4 is bad enough, it might as well be a PS4.5 exclusive.

More rumours:

• The retail name for the NX is unknown to developers (or they are holding back). I’ve asked multiple sources.
  • I know of at least 1 third-party Wii U game that has/have been successfully ported to NX.
  • Amiibo are still supported (if you hadn’t already guessed).
  • Friend codes are still a thing (unfortunately).
  • I don’t know when the NX will be announced. Speculation is this month.
  • There are multiple “gimmicks” with the NX, one is optional.
  • There are physical dev-kits out in the wild, I don’t have access to these.
  • I don’t know the model of the GPU, however there is little doubt (from what I’ve been told) that it an AMD.
  • The NX is capable of outputting 4k. Consensus is upscaling and streaming.
  • DDR4 Memory (between 6GB – 8G:cool:. EDIT: Available to software.
  • EDIT: Just to be clear – Although there are dev-kits out there, I highly doubt that you will get a direct leak from any of the studios that have them.
  • EDIT 2: Apparently friend code wasn’t the correct term. You can only add people you know.”
Sources:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/v...can-output-in-4k-has-multiple-gimmicks-amiibo
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4dl4ka/nx_update_3/

I quote both as the original reddit topic on this has been censored (all the info removed) and locked.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
More rumours:

• The retail name for the NX is unknown to developers (or they are holding back). I’ve asked multiple sources.
  • I know of at least 1 third-party Wii U game that has/have been successfully ported to NX.
  • Amiibo are still supported (if you hadn’t already guessed).
  • Friend codes are still a thing (unfortunately).
  • I don’t know when the NX will be announced. Speculation is this month.
  • There are multiple “gimmicks” with the NX, one is optional.
  • There are physical dev-kits out in the wild, I don’t have access to these.
  • I don’t know the model of the GPU, however there is little doubt (from what I’ve been told) that it an AMD.
  • The NX is capable of outputting 4k. Consensus is upscaling and streaming.
  • DDR4 Memory (between 6GB – 8G:cool:. EDIT: Available to software.
  • EDIT: Just to be clear – Although there are dev-kits out there, I highly doubt that you will get a direct leak from any of the studios that have them.
  • EDIT 2: Apparently friend code wasn’t the correct term. You can only add people you know.”
Sources:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/v...can-output-in-4k-has-multiple-gimmicks-amiibo
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4dl4ka/nx_update_3/

I quote both as the original reddit topic on this has been censored (all the info removed) and locked.
Wow. So the NX appears to be on par in power to the what will likely be the PS4.5. Interesting. Yes, the PS4 has 8 gigs of RAM, but 2-3 gigs of that is used in the Operating System, leaving only 5-6 gigs of actual levy. So having around 8 gigs of ram just for games is actually pretty good, and it's highly competitive as well.

I just hope we can get the NX at a reasonable price....

Wow. So the NX appears to be on par in power to the what will likely be the PS4.5. Interesting. Yes, the PS4 has 8 gigs of RAM, but 2-3 gigs of that is used in the Operating System, leaving only 5-6 gigs of actual levy. So having around 8 gigs of ram just for games is actually pretty good, and it's highly competitive as well.

I just hope we can get the NX at a reasonable price....
8GB total of ram is nice but it's not the be all and end all. As long as there is enough ram to run the OS alongside the game your fine. As in being able to use OS features like game screenshots and Miiverse while the game is running. Standard Ram use can be highly dependant on how optimised the game's code is. We want the games code to be optimised and not lazily written just because there is 6GB to 8GB there to use. What is more important is the amount of V-Ram in the GPU. There has not been much GPU talk except that the NX is rumoured to be AMD and not NVIDIA.

Also why DDR4 and Not DDR5? The only reason I can think is cost or availability of the RAM. Because Apple would have first pick and then probably Dell and co next. The consoles would only get whatever factory manufacturing space is left over at places like Foxconn to make RAM and other console parts. I know it's the same base parts but it's more of them. That more needs fabrication space to be manufactured too.

I do think Nintendo will aim for affordability with the NX, just like they have done with almost every other console Nintendo has released. I think this will be deoendant on how the internal storage is done. I don't think it'll be 32GB SSD max like the WiiU. That would be Nintendo shooting itself in the foot if the NX was only 32GB. The NX has to have more internal storage. If it's SSD that could get pretty expensive in a hurry. 500GB SSD's and larger are not the cheapest thing ever even now. HDD on the other hand is cheap as but suffers from the slower read and write speeds. Faster than optical drive read speeds but still they are no SSD. Putting HDD's in modern consoles does feel like a backwards step but it might be the only way to keep the price down. I'd buy an NX with an internal 500GB HDD. I am very interested in how the NX will do internal storage. Very interested indeed.

Amiibo support on the NX means there has to be a NFC reader somewhere. Probably in the controller still. I would say a newer version of the gamepad.

"You can only add people you know" Know how? That's the question there. I hope it's not just via facebook, twitter and the like as MyNintendo does it. There has to be a better way to do it.

I don't think anyone outside Nintendo knows what the NX will be called. I would not be surprised in the developer trial machines come in generic plain boxes so the hardware can't be seen. I know Apple did this with the new Mac Pros. Pixar received early Mac Pros in generic boxes so they could not see the final outer form of it. Also Nintendo would have every developer with a NX SDk now on a strict NDA. That basically has to be done. That's exactly why no noe is talking officially. This is to be expected though.

I do think upscaling to 4k would require an external gpu possibly? Still I don't see this as a needed feature now. 4K is not a popular thing now, it's still uber niche. 1080p is all that's needed.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
z2dHy2l.png

Apparentely more new rumors. This Emily Rogers person is supposedly a credible person when it comes to leaked info (but don't take my word for it, I'm a skeptic).

• Confirmed dual release on NX and Wii U.
  • Gender option to play as either male or female.
  • Voice acting, Link is excluded.

@Spiritual Mask Salesman As far as I'm aware, she did leak that a new Paper Mario game was coming to Wii U before Color Splash was announced.

A dual release is completely unsurprising. I am curious if Linkle would be the default female character model. I know she's a completely separate character from Link, but Aonuma seems to have taken a liking to her and stated he would like for her to appear in future games. As for voice acting, I'll believe it once I hear it. Zelda has been resistant to adding voice acting for so long that it's hard to believe. That said, it might explain why we have yet to see any NPC footage.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo doing voice acting...for ZELDA? ahahahaah no. we'll get more grunts and hmm HEYS, sure, but not "voice acting".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom