• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Zelda Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favorite has to be Majoras Mask because of all the cool effects you can get with the masks. Some didn't even make sense like the stupid bomb mask but it made it fun to try out different things.

Zelda 2 wasn't very good. Maybe I just suck but I hated fighting the armored knights that would block your attack for 4 minutes before you csn kill them. I will say that once I was older and went back to the game, it was more fun than when I was 6 and it was too hard. Plus my game sucked and I had to blow on it for a while before it would start every time so there was that too lol.

Every enemy in Zelda 2 has a weakness. The armored knights you speak of are actually incredibly easy. What you have to do is jump and slash them while you are in the air. You will land a hit and knock them back every time no matter where they have their sheild.

Just a pro tip!

Every enemy in Zelda 2 has a weakness. The armored knights you speak of are actually incredibly easy. What you have to do is jump and slash them while you are in the air. You will land a hit and knock them back every time no matter where they have their sheild.

Just a pro tip!
Ya I just watched a speed run and saw that, but that **** wasn't around in 93 lol
(Hints and videos I mean)

WindFishTacos

"Look at those sideburns...that's true grit!"
All of the Zelda games are good because they are each unique. My favorite would be Link's Awakening because I think it has the best story. It also does well keeping balance between action and puzzles. My least favorite would be the original Legend of Zelda...I really wanted to like it but it is just too difficult. I agree some newer games (in general not just LOZ) are too easy, but man was the original game difficult to figure out where to go or what to do.

karu

Panamaniac
Absolute, with a single doubt in my mind, the best game evah is Majora's Mask!!!!!!! For me the one I liked the least, because I don't hate any Zelda game, was TP, I did enjoy it, it being my first ever Zelda game, but then compared to the rest that I played, TP seems like it tried way to hard to be dark, unlike other titles that feel natural and not pushed towards one direction.

My favorite is Wind Waker. The art style jives so much with me, and I find the quality of the written dialogue to be with no peers.

My least favorite is Zelda II because I'm utter trash at side-scrollers.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
So far, I count 3 people who liked LA the best of any Zelda game. MAKE THAT 4!!! Now check this out, this list is about our favorite Zelda games and least favorite Zelda games, not the best and worst. This list is intentionally subjective and biased as it should be. Link's Awakening is the first Zelda I beat (I had played LoZ and ALttP previously) and it remains my favorite.

I'm not going to rank them though because any way I rate them will be a disservice to all of the games. I will say that LA ties with OoT with my favorite Zelda games. Let's see if I can say something nice about a few of them. Spoilers follow.

Link's Awakening: Humorous and wity, the game has been misunderstood. We all know Hyrule Historia, while THE official canon, was basically slapped together to bring the game universe together in cohesion and is riddled with inconsistancies. One of these inconsistencies, I believe, is the simplistic view that the events of Link's Awakening are a dream. After Link woke the Wind Fish, he found himself alone in the ocean after a shipwreck.

Now, all through the game, Link was told that he was in a dream, everything points to it. Link and the person controlling him know that when they wake the Wind Fish, the island will disappear and the inhabitants will vanish. This made the end of the game sad as we knew that we were leaving the island. In the final moments of the game, however, after we have accepted the loss, Link looks up and sees the Wind Fish in the real world. That was the entire twist of the game! Not only that but if you beat the game without dying, you'll be treated to an alternate ending in which you see that Marin got her wish and grew wings.

So there you have it, Link's Awakening was not SIMPLY a dream. If indeed it was a dream, some of it was material and the adventure at least, was real.

Wind Waker: Best music in the series, hands down. The intro, the Great Sea, Dragon Roost Island...incredible. Also Ganondorf.

Four Swords Adventures: Anyone giving the game a review without having played the multiplayer to completion should be given the same credence as having only played the first level. I have played the game through single player, 2, 3, and 4 players. The game changes depending on how many players you have playing which is an innovative game design. It was a huge departure from previous games and the payoff was worth it if you have 3 friends willing to play beginning to end.

Try this if you have disposable income and 3 friends willing to play. I have put this together and it really works well (though it is quite expensive). I play the game on my old Wii. Connect that Wii to a TV. Connect a Game Boy Connector cable to the first Gamecube controller port. Connect that cable to a Game Boy Player peripheral attached to the bottom of a Gamecube. Connect a Gamecube controller to the first controller port of the Gamecube and insert a Game Boy Player disk into the Gamecube then connect that Gamecube to a second TV.

Repeat this process for the remaining three controller ports in the top of the Wii and you'll be able to skip the tiny Game Boy Advance screen and throw the game onto 5 TV screens! This makes the game easier and more fun to play!

Ocarina of Time: Something random since everything about this game has been discussed a thousand times. Majora's Mask may be more of a horror game but there was nothing in that game anywhere near as disturbing as the Dead Hand.

The Minish Cap: This game was incredible for its technical limitations. The pacing was good, the Piccori were cute, the gimmick became a strong mechanic, and we were introduced to a Vaati who wasn't a mindless beast.

It's a toss up between Majora's mask and Twilight Princess. Both were dark and moody, had so much creativity packed into them, and such deep story lines.

As stated above, a question like this is totally subjective. I love all the Zelda games and have played and beaten them all. If forced to choose I would probably pick Wind Waker. Some people complain about the emptiness of the sea, but for me I found it very relaxing sailing from island to island. I like the art style and I feel like it was the first Zelda game that had a substantial storyline.

I also have a fondness for Zelda 2. It reminds me of my childhood. I understand why people who encountered it later in life may not like it, but I associate nice memories with it.

The only Zelda game I really didn't enjoy very much was Triforce Heroes. I liked the mechanics of the 3 Links, but I didn't like the game was designed around beating levels. For me, Zelda is about a certain amount of freedom to explore the world. You can't do that in Triforce Heroes.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
As stated above, a question like this is totally subjective. I love all the Zelda games and have played and beaten them all. If forced to choose I would probably pick Wind Waker. Some people complain about the emptiness of the sea, but for me I found it very relaxing sailing from island to island. I like the art style and I feel like it was the first Zelda game that had a substantial storyline.

I also have a fondness for Zelda 2. It reminds me of my childhood. I understand why people who encountered it later in life may not like it, but I associate nice memories with it.

The only Zelda game I really didn't enjoy very much was Triforce Heroes. I liked the mechanics of the 3 Links, but I didn't like the game was designed around beating levels. For me, Zelda is about a certain amount of freedom to explore the world. You can't do that in Triforce Heroes.

Since you've beaten every game and liked them all, I'm wondering what it was that differentiated Triforce Heroes from Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures as far as being designed around individual levels. I haven't beaten TH or FS so I don't think I have a very clear view on what makes the "Mario World" design better in FS or FSA better than TH.

Alrighty. I have unpopular opinions in regards to these games and where they rank in my books.
So my favorites are gonna have to be, in no particular order, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. Not that I don't like all the other games. A Link to the Past is such a great game! And so was Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, and basically all the games, but that being said, I do have 2 games that I played through once, didn't care much for them, and haven't played them again.
My least favorites are Phantom Hourglass and Majora's Mask.
There. I said it.

A Link to the Past is my favorite and Phantom Hourglass is my least favorite, still enjoyed it but didn't like the movement with the stylus.

My list (least favorite to favorite):

10. The Adventure of Link
9. The Legend of Zelda
8. Skyward Sword
7. Majora's Mask
6. The Minish Cap
5. Phantom Hourglass
4. Ocarina of Time
3. Twilight Princess
2. A Link to the Past
1. The Wind Waker

Status