• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Zelda Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
This is my ranking of all the Zelda games I have played so far. I wouldn't say I disliked any of these - so I don't really consider the games at the bottom as my 'least favorites.'

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Twilight Princess
4. Wind Waker
5. A Link to the Past
6. Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons
7. A Link Between Worlds
8. Link's Awakening
9. The Legend of Zelda

1 Wind Waker
2 Ocarina of Time
3 Spirit Tracks
4 Majora's Mask
5 Twilight Princess
6 Minish Cap
7 Phantom Hourglass
8 A Link to the Past

I'm going to ignore the spin-off and multiplayer games and focus only on the main series.

Favorites:

1. Link's Awakening DX - It's everything a good Zelda game should be, and it stands apart from the rest because of its unique setting and storyline. The DX version only improved on a masterpiece.
2. Wind Waker HD - To me, this game perfected everything that was great about previous 3D Zelda games. Combat, story, exploration, and the ART STYLE. It still holds up beautifully today, and the HD version is even more gorgeous. The additions made to the HD version improve on the few minor gripes I had about the original. To me, WWHD is a quintessentially perfect 3D Zelda.

Least Favorite:
1. Phantom Hourglass - While I did enjoy this game overall, I never really was crazy about the control scheme. It felt loose and just wasn't as fun to play as a traditionally controlled Zelda. Combine this with the awful Temple of the Ocean King, and this just becomes my least favorite Zelda overall in the main series.

I'm playing through all of the games a second time for 100%. I think my favorite 2D Zelda games are the GB/GBC games and A Link Between Worlds. I like nearly all of the 3D ones but particularly Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. I really don't like Zelda II. It's a really well done game in my opinion, but it isn't my style. A little too difficult for me. I also don't like Phantom Hourglass that much either. Stupid Temple of the Ocean King!!!

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Favorite: Majora's Mask.
  • Top reasons: Best 3D dungeon design, most unique, much drama that stays in the background rather than being shoved in your face, time mechanic that extends exploration to time in addition to place.
Least Favorite: Four Swords GBA
  • Top Reasons: Too short, tedious single-player, most forgettable, unfriendly-looking Princess Zelda
disclaimer: I struggle with coming up with good reasons to hate certain Zelda games, cuz the whole series is so friggin' good!

Since you've beaten every game and liked them all, I'm wondering what it was that differentiated Triforce Heroes from Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures as far as being designed around individual levels. I haven't beaten TH or FS so I don't think I have a very clear view on what makes the "Mario World" design better in FS or FSA better than TH.

That's a great point, especially since I would rank FSA as probably in competition for my top spot. I love FSA.
(The original FS I liked, but don't judge by the same measurement - to me it's really an "extra feature" to A Link to the Past)

FSA returns us to the world of Link to the Past, which to me was the quintessential Zelda game as a kid. I got back into Zelda only recently and after years of only having played the first 3 games, so the Ocarina 3D style - which I have learned to love, by the way - is still alien to me in what I think of as "comfort Zelda."

FSA does have levels, but they felt big and there was a good deal of puzzles, and diversity to them. You could go into caves, climb up Death Mountain while rocks fall on you, explore villages, break into the castle while those fat green soldiers try to stop you, etc. It was linear, but there was a sense of progression that riffed on the gameplay of the single-player 2D Zelda games.

When I was a kid, my siblings had to take turns playing Zelda. We'd watch each other play. With FSA my wife and I played together. I felt like I was playing Link to the Past again, but I could share it with another person. So, a lot of it is probably how it fed into my nostalgia.

I think there is a lot to be said for the plotline, too. In FSA there was a storyline that progressed, with a twist (the obvious one, of course, but most of the Zeldas do that) The fashion thing in TriForce Heroes did misfire with me, honestly. It's more fun to sit down and think "Let's save the world!" which FSA provided.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
That really clears things up. I know I still need to beat TriFrorce Heros, but that helps me understand what to expect. You know, the return to ALttP was a big part of what made FSA so good. I hadn't really thought about it but the art style, familiar cues, corresponding locales, and often a we hadn't seen for a while brought a certain nostalgia into the game. I would actually love it Nintendo shameslessly gave a Four Sword makeover to each one of the top-down games. Dude, I think it would work so well with Minish Cap!

Favourite, Skyward Sword. Yes.
Least favourite... that one is harder, IDK, Spirit Tracks, maybe? But to be fair, I haven't finished it yet and I actually kind of like it a little.

Also, just for the record, I haven't played Adventure of Link, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures or Ancient Stone Tablets, though I plan to.

I am also not counting Breath of the Wild or the CD-I games, for obvious reasons.

1. Ocarina of Time: Nostalgia highly factors in on this one, and is close (super close) with number 2.:(
2. Majoras Mask: Loved everything about it, the dark aspect was awesome.:goron:
3. Wind Waker:bow:
4. Twilight Princess:bomb:
5. Minish Cap:ezlo:
6. Skyward Sword:fi:
7. Link Between Worlds:boomerang:
8. Phantom Hourglass:keese:
9. A Link to the Past:bottle:
Played a few more but these are all really close.
Great list, I would say that I love all of those, but to be 100% fair, I often like to say "there is no such thing as a bad The Legend of Zelda game" so there is no point on specifying that I love them, I clearly do :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite is definitely Majora's Mask. Love it to death. I'm honestly surprised at all of the DS title hate. I liked the games a lot, but maybe they deserve a replay.
Don't exactly have a least favorite. They all hold general places in my head, but the only one that may fit the category is Oracle of Ages, for no reason other than that I played through what may be considered a third of the game, and never picked it back up. I guess that makes it my least favorite, but at the same time, no room for judgement. I did the same thing with Minish Cap, and when I finally picked it back up, it was fantastic.

favorite: Ocarina of time- simply because it was a whole new experience
least favorite: Twilight princess, while the graphics were beautiful, the game play was waaaay too easy.

Favorite is definitely Majora's Mask. Love it to death. I'm honestly surprised at all of the DS title hate.
I actually loved the Majora's Mask 3DS version... It felt like it was a lot better than the old one (as expected) although, I am 50/50 on the saving owls, you kinda need them for a portable game, and I can always play ignoring them if I so choose.

I actually loved the Majora's Mask 3DS version... It felt like it was a lot better than the old one (as expected) although, I am 50/50 on the saving owls, you kinda need them for a portable game, and I can always play ignoring them if I so choose.
By DS title, I meant Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.
But I do definitely enjoy the Majora's Mask remake. Many things were greatly improved. There are a few things that I could've done without, like some boss changes, but overall, solid title.

By DS title, I meant Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.
But I do definitely enjoy the Majora's Mask remake. Many things were greatly improved. There are a few things that I could've done without, like some boss changes, but overall, solid title.
Oh, I'm sorry, totally my bad.
I've got this to say, though:
I didn't quite like those games at first (I did like them some, I still sustain there's no bad Legend of Zelda game). But then a friend came over, and said something from an outside point of view while watching me play and chatting with me that made me see the game in a new light (he often does this, he's really smart). After that, I started seeing Phantom Hourglass in a whole new light and now I really like it. Same goes for when I realised all the improvements in Spirit Tracks.
I've got this to say, though, they are fantastic "portable games" in the sense that they are fast and light to play without too many annoyances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom