• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New profile posts

ay welcome to ZD!! always cool to see a new person drop in ^^
Heyo Cthulu! I had a question if you don't mind (Also sorry I didn't check to see if you already made a blog post about this bc the site is mad laggy rn)
Do you happen to know anything or have any tips when it comes to having an easier time with singing? I mean in the sense that like, I'm the only person in my choir who has to drink water before every song bc I get a sore throat, and by the end of it sometimes I get lightheaded from singing too much. I was just curious if that's something I can improve or if my lungs just suck. Or if that's 2 seperate issues. That might be 2 spereate issues now that I think about it.
Reactions: TheGreatCthulhu
TheGreatCthulhu
TheGreatCthulhu
I would suggest making sure you're not singing from your throat, and a great way to train it is changing how you breathe.

If you are, then it never hurts to reassess the fundamentals, making sure your notes are supported by your diaphragm.

First, when you inhale, imagine the air isn't filling your chest cavity, but imagine it or let it fall down into your belly. Done correctly, you should feel your belly button expand out a bit, and your shoulders remain in place. They shouldn't lift, and it should almost feel like air is falling down into your belly.

Second, when exhaling, use your ab muscles to push the air out and get a steady stream of air, and add a note to it.

It should sound a bit fuller and louder.

Now the art comes in manipulating that engine. If you project or feel reverberation in your chest (as you do in talking), that's your chest voice, if you feel it reverberate in the face or head, that's your head voice, and if you feel it in kinda both, but it also feels projected out the front of the face, that's your mixed voice.

Also, I suggest before choir, your voice is nice and warmed up. Some exercises I'd recommend are lip trills, your vowels of "AH" "OH" "EE" and "AY" are as supported and open as you can make them, and practicing arpeggios on each. Also, just depending on the day, it could take a bit before your voice "wakes up" so to speak.

Also, the water habit is a good one! Water is great for the voice, and my favorite singers and vocalists basically chug lukewarm water by the bucketload during a show.

Tea with honey at night, for me at least, helps to relax the throat, a tip I learned from Johan Hegg from Amon Amarth. Sure, he's a death metal singer, but it seems to work, and tea is harmless! Maybe try it out.

:)
Uwu_Oocoo2
Uwu_Oocoo2
Thanks!!! That's really helpful
TheGreatCthulhu
TheGreatCthulhu
No problem! All the best!
  • Haha
Reactions: TheGreatCthulhu
TheGreatCthulhu
TheGreatCthulhu
Accurate.
Echolight
Echolight
I haven't even dared to show them metal THAT heavy PFFFFFFFFT
TheGreatCthulhu
TheGreatCthulhu
But seriously, Cannibal Corpse is a go-to for everyone that claims they "listen to everything."

My face when they give me the aux cord:

5Rihxd.gif
You speak Australian don't you? Do y'all have a word for like, fantastic, amazing, the best, something along those lines?
Jimmu
Jimmu
“Bonza” comes to mind but I’ve never actually used it personally and don’t know many people who do. “Rippa!” Or “You rippa!” is more common and convey that something or someone is fantastic. “Beaut”/“Beauty” or “You Beauty” can be used the same way.

In reality I’d probably most naturally say “sick” or “that’s sick” (with a positive tone) to mean that’s amazing.
Chevywolf:30
Chevywolf:30
Much obliged, partner.
Top Bottom