• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Wii U Graphics: Should They Go for the Same Graphics As the Tech Demo?

W

WindowsApples

First of all i 80% sure that somebody might have made a post like this but i just want to tell you my thoughts. I think that they should use the graphics from the tech demo to show off the systems capabilities. But i think they shouldn't use upgraded TP graphics. Instead i think it should be updated TP graphics with more vibrate colors instead of TP's dark and gloomy colors. Leave a reply on what you think Zelda Wii U's graphics should be like.

I completely agree. Those tech demo graphics will convince graphic whores that Wii U is the future in terms of power and innovation. To be honest, Nintendo can't bank on the casual crowd anymore, which is fleeing to Angry Birds and smartphones. Nintendo should continue to obviously pursue this audience but to a much lesser extent than with the Wii and DS. In that respect, the Wii U should take a page from the 3DS, which has succeeded in that department. Less casual and more "hardcore" gamers are who brought Nintendo on the gaming map in the first place. Nintendo has been known to change styles drastically from tech demo to actual game but this is one time when a gamble will not pay off. Nintendo needs a realistic approach to Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, and more, and the company needs it now. Time to start the promised revolution.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I completely agree. Those tech demo graphics will convince graphic whores that Wii U is the future in terms of power and innovation. To be honest, Nintendo can't bank on the casual crowd anymore, which is fleeing to Angry Birds and smartphones. Nintendo should continue to obviously pursue this audience but to a much lesser extent than with the Wii and DS. In that respect, the Wii U should take a page from the 3DS, which has succeeded in that department. Less casual and more "hardcore" gamers are who brought Nintendo on the gaming map in the first place. Nintendo has been known to change styles drastically from tech demo to actual game but this is one time when a gamble will not pay off. Nintendo needs a realistic approach to Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, and more, and the company needs it now. Time to start the promised revolution.

Graphics don't make a revolution. Gameplay does. That's why SS was so revolutionary. What I'm saying is games don't have to look realistic in order to bring about drastic change. It's best to use a graphical style that suits the gameplay, not some mainstream gritty style that might not fit the game right.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Might depend for me on what type of game WiiU Zelda will be. If it's another dark, mysterious title like Majora's Mask and, of course, Twilight Princess, then yes, those visuals would be fitting. If it's has a lighter setting, such as Ocarina of Time, then the graphics should be developed to match that lightsomeness. Same will go for a cel-shaded title, though I'm skeptical that they'll use that for the WiiU. Overall I imagine the graphics will be HD and definitely realistic, moreso than TP's, and closer to the demo's style.

Graphics don't make a revolution. Gameplay does. That's why SS was so revolutionary. What I'm saying is games don't have to look realistic in order to bring about drastic change. It's best to use a graphical style that suits the gameplay, not some mainstream gritty style that might not fit the game right.

Yes, but this time around graphics will be key if Nintendo wants to lure the primary audience the Wii U is bound to appeal to. Of course, the gameplay will be the staying factor.

Just because the graphics are more realistic instead of a more cell shaded approach doesn't mean it will attract nor deter hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers know that graphics don't define a game, they just enhance it. It seems that you're just being strongly opinionated towards realistic style graphics and that's completley fine. Also, those "graphic whores" that you talk of, they usually don't play Zelda games, and to an extent Nintendo games anyways. I'm proud to say that Nintendo hasn't conformed to the mainstream ideas of what a "good game" is and they haven't become sell outs like other franchises. They remain true to their loyal fans who appreciate the actual content of the game rather then if it looks "kiddy".

To answer the OP, yes, I do think they will implement the Zelda Wii U tech demo graphics in the next Zelda game. If you ask me, to much hype has already been created for Nintendo to "let down" any of the fans and a realistic approach to Zelda would showcase the new HD capabilities better then that of a catoon-ish look. Also, we're due for a realistic Zelda game. We haven't had one since TP. Even I, a lover of the cell shaded type style, is aching for some OoT + TP graphics.

Just because the graphics are more realistic instead of a more cell shaded approach doesn't mean it will attract nor deter hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers know that graphics don't define a game, they just enhance it. It seems that you're just being strongly opinionated towards realistic style graphics and that's completley fine. Also, those "graphic whores" that you talk of, they usually don't play Zelda games, and to an extent Nintendo games anyways. I'm proud to say that Nintendo hasn't conformed to the mainstream ideas of what a "good game" is and they haven't become sell outs like other franchises. They remain true to their loyal fans who appreciate the actual content of the game rather then if it looks "kiddy".

Graphics don't matter for true gamers but you truly don't realize how many gamers are turned off by more "childish", cell-shaded looks. And yes, many "graphic whores" who now play on the 360 or PS3 have nostalgic childhood experience playing on Nintendo platforms. This would be the perfect time for Nintendo to draw that crowd back in. And no, I'm not strongly biased towards realistic looking games for my favorites include such franchises as Mario, Super smash Bros., and Halo, which are all rather exaggerated and only the latter of which has consciously tried to look realistic in terms of backgrounds. And define "sell out". It's great that Nintendo continues to innovate but maybe the developers should listen more openly to assertive fans next time they begin a Zelda project, a wish that rarely seems fulfilled.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Yes, I want the Zelda Wii U demo graphics. Not as gloomy as TP, but still vibrant and colorful. I would be perfectly fine if Nintendo chose a different style.....just as long as it doesn't depress me like TP did.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I love love to see a zelda with those tech graphics. I Can't wait to see a Zelda game like that also to play it would be amazing! Though with the new modern games i get sick while playing them lol.

If Nintendo can make the Wii-U Zelda game more beautiful and emotional than it was shown in the Tech Demo (which itself is gorgous to look at) then yeah, go for it. It could prove to some gamers that realistic games aren't always brown and dull. But I personally don't care about which graphic style Nintendo may go for as long as the core gameplay is still fun to play with.

You're acting like Nintendo are struggling to stay above water with the way they are making their games right now. They don't need realistic graphics to draw audiences, as proven with Skyward Sword. Sure they might draw more, but that isn't how Nintendo roll. Whether we see realistic graphics or not won't be determined by how well they think sales will be affected.

Strange. I didn't perceive it to be that way. Sure, realistic graphics aren't a necessity but observing the trend Nintendo is shooting towards with the eighth generation, it's quickly beginning to seem that we're going to get a larger quantity of realistic looking games than say, cell-shaded ones. Then again, this could be a Gamecube situation again and Nintendo does the polar opposite of most third parties.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree with what you said. I think that the same or better graphics should be used from the Tech demo and also the same art style. It was already looking more vibrant than TP so I think it would be ok if it looked the same or similar. I really want to see something visually impressive from the Wii U game and I think that using a high polygon count and high detail textures would be the best way to go about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom