• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie in the Works

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
And I'm saying I don't want those writers involved with a Zelda TV show, because their track record for compelling narratives is awful. :eyes:
Twilight Princess would like to have a word with you.

--- --- ---

Obviously the most ideal solution would be to have the writers of the Zelda games with some of the best stories be the ones doing oversight.
  • Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Eiji Aonuma
  • Aya Kyogoku
  • Takayuki Ikkaku
  • Mitsuhiro Takano
  • Hajime Takahashi
  • Yoshiaki Koizumi
  • Naoki Mori
  • Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Get any one or two of the people on this list assigned to help out in writing a Zelda TV show as a co-writer, co-director, co-producer, or even as an editorial liaison from Nintendo to work with the TV show production.
A guiding hand to ensure that what is written or presented in animation does not stretch extremely far outside the bounds of the franchise.

Being a TV show and NOT a videogame, the story can truly take center-stage as it is to be a passive entertainment rather than active entertainment. You don't have to worry about a videogame player getting bored and dropping the controller because the videogame isn't fun or offers gameplay of a different design core than much of the franchise.
The writer takes center stage alongside the animator, not the game designer trying to make sure the mechanics lead to a fun gameplay loop.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

--- --- ---

Obviously the most ideal solution would be to have the writers of the Zelda games with some of the best stories be the ones doing oversight.
  • Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Eiji Aonuma
  • Aya Kyogoku
  • Takayuki Ikkaku
  • Mitsuhiro Takano
  • Hajime Takahashi
  • Yoshiaki Koizumi
  • Naoki Mori
  • Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Get any one or two of the people on this list assigned to help out in writing a Zelda TV show as a co-writer, co-director, co-producer, or even as an editorial liaison from Nintendo to work with the TV show production.
A guiding hand to ensure that what is written or presented in animation does not stretch extremely far outside the bounds of the franchise.

Being a TV show and NOT a videogame, the story can truly take center-stage as it is to be a passive entertainment rather than active entertainment. You don't have to worry about a videogame player getting bored and dropping the controller because the videogame isn't fun or offers gameplay of a different design core than much of the franchise.
The writer takes center stage alongside the animator, not the game designer trying to make sure the mechanics lead to a fun gameplay loop.
I'd probably pull writers from outside. The best Zelda stories I've seen tend to come from the world of fanfiction, not the games themselves. Zelda as a franchise has had 40 years to produce some peak storytelling and they haven't mustered it yet. Zelda's storytelling has remained trapped in 1993 while the rest of the game world has moved on.

Mostly I just don't want Nintendo involved. In an ideal world I wouldn't give them any oversight whatsoever.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
twilight princess was also 17 years ago

but also funny you mention the castlevania series earlier b/c that'd be the route I want to see zelda take for a tv show
specifically taking an early entry that didn't have much story going on and use that as a base for a tv show to expand on it, but also I just want to see that artstyle used for an animated series (the gba LTTP art or the oracles art)

RamboBambiBambo

I just want to see that artstyle used for an animated series (the gba LTTP art or the oracles art)
So basically the animation studio should be the ones that were behind the intro and outro cutscenes to Link's Awakening on the Nintendo Switch?

Honestly?

Hell yeah! Give these guys a bigger budget and lets see what the studio can project.

The news might be fake but with the success of the Mario movie I think its happening anyways regardless of how fake the news is or whatever the source was.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The news might be fake but with the success of the Mario movie I think its happening anyways regardless of how fake the news is or whatever the source was.
Given how financially successful the Mario movie was I can see Nintendo considering a Zelda film. For me it's just an issue of not trusting Nintendo's storytelling credentials. Zelda doesn't really have a good history of compelling writing or characters. I'd like to see Zelda treated the same way something like Castlevania was: give the source material to some good storytellers and then go entirely hands off with it.

Last edited:

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Not convinced there is any truth to the rumor, but giving the property to Illumination first would be kind of brilliant for Nintendo. They can just blame Illumination if it doesn't turn out, then take what they learned from the experience to another studio later down the line. If it turns out even half decent, they will rake in tons of money with low effort. Honestly I don't even know if the IP fits being a movie, I've tried for years trying to figure out a way in my head that it would work realistically in a satisfying manner and the iconography of the series is just such a mess. With each new iconic piece of lore added to the series, a prior one seems to become confusing along side of this. This is rarely an issue in the games because they are constantly a new legend, but to express what makes The Legend of Zelda an icon in a singular way you would have to erase important landmark ideas in the franchise that have constantly been replaced and recontextualized. It's possible, but it would take a team of people with a passion for the series that matches those who worked on The Lord of the Rings trilogy or the Spider-Verse films, and I'm not sure if Nintendo would be able to find those people.

RamboBambiBambo

Given how financially successful the Mario movie was I can see Nintendo considering a Zelda film.
Watch as Nintendo goes full on MCU.

We get a Donkey Kong Spin-Off of the Mario Movie.
Kirby gets his own movie.
Metroid features Samus in a new adventure taking place between the Prime games and Metroid II.
Zelda gets a small TV show.
We've already got Detective Pikachu.
Star Fox gets a movie as well.
F-Zero gets a new TV show.
Mother/Earthbound gets a movie.

Each movie/TV show having subtle hints and references to one another, until the final movie/TV show is released, and in a post-credit scene, Master Hand looms in; confirming a Super Smash Bros. movie!

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Not convinced there is any truth to the rumor, but giving the property to Illumination first would be kind of brilliant for Nintendo. They can just blame Illumination if it doesn't turn out, then take what they learned from the experience to another studio later down the line. If it turns out even half decent, they will rake in tons of money with low effort.
I never thought about it this way, but you have an excellent point. Worst case scenario, they can just sweep it under the rug next to the Zelda cartoon.
Honestly I don't even know if the IP fits being a movie, I've tried for years trying to figure out a way in my head that it would work realistically in a satisfying manner and the iconography of the series is just such a mess. With each new iconic piece of lore added to the series, a prior one seems to become confusing along side of this. This is rarely an issue in the games because they are constantly a new legend, but to express what makes The Legend of Zelda an icon in a singular way you would have to erase important landmark ideas in the franchise that have constantly been replaced and recontextualized. It's possible, but it would take a team of people with a passion for the series that matches those who worked on The Lord of the Rings trilogy or the Spider-Verse films, and I'm not sure if Nintendo would be able to find those people.
I see what you're saying here, but I don't think a Zelda movie would have to line up 100% to every single game to work. For example, another upcoming video game movie, Five Nights at Freddy's, is doing its own thing. From what I've seen in the trailers, they plot is keeping the core elements of the games' lore, but spinning them into a new story. I imagine that's what a Zelda movie would do also. There would be Ganondorf, Zelda, the Triforce, an opening with Link sleeping, but some of the finer points would be unique to the movie.

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
I've been hearing that there will be a Zelda movie real soon from my co worker at work but I am hoping that if it does come it'll be successful like the Mario Bros movie. I bet after Zelda becoming successful I would love to see Link teaming up with Mario and Puss n Boots to beat up Mickey for making garbage Disney movies nowadays.

Make a film adaption of Majora's Mask, or a prequel that follows the story of the Fierce Deity and Majora.

Also, make it 18+ and give it disturbing and horrific themes and scenes to make it a lovecraftian experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom