• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie in the Works

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
I don’t know, The Illumination Super Mario movie was a big success. Will Nintendo pass up another chance to make some revenue and perhaps set the stage for Phase II of Nintendoland at Universal: Hyrule (my speculation). Nintendo and Universal are the only competition Disney has, the iron is hot, I say they strike.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
It could be fake, but the fake Zelda posters for a movie did get a major reaction and The Zelda Brand is the true golden goose of Nintendo. It is invitable a film will be made. The success of Mario, and Sonic movies show it can be done. However, Zelda will require greater care, they will not get away with same zany bits and popular music tropes.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Yeah that's the other thing, it would have to have a slightly more serious tone than the Mario movie, and anyting Illumination has made. It could still have a mostly light, goofy tone with some more serious plot points tho, think Wind Waker.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Sites are picking up on this but it doesn't seem like anyone involved from Universal, Illumination, or Nintendo confirmed it. The original source is basically some guys said it in a podcast, lol. It's a rumor until confirmed.

That said, I do think its likely a Zelda movie will eventually happen after the success the Mario movie had. I feel like the series has potential for a movie that could have interesting writing, fantastic visuals, and wonderful music, but I just can't imagine the same art direction as the Mario movie working for Zelda. I'm not even sure if the "pixar" style would go over well, a more hand drawn style might work better.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
How to make a successful Zelda movie: give studio ghibli free rein to make whatever they interpret Zelda to be

People will fawn over it and refuse to criticize it for anything just because ooh ghibli so purdy

The only Zelda game that I believe could be adapted into a movie and somehow be a better piece of media than the game is the original Zelda itself

Jeff Sneider is pretty reliable and he usually doesn't report unless he genuinely hears something, but Universal is making a massive mistake going with Illumination instead of Dreamworks. A Illumination Mario movie works for the fans of Mario, but an Illumination Zelda movie will get destroyed by the community for over-humor, shallow plot, under-developed characters. It will also have to be more focused in its adaptational aims: they'll have to be more specific in what game's story they are telling.
The only Zelda game that I believe could be adapted into a movie and somehow be a better piece of media than the game is the original Zelda itself
The Mario movie borrowed a lot from the early Mario games (focusing on Brooklyn/DK) rather than Galaxy or Sunshine or Odyssey. Maybe they'd start with the Zelda 1/Zelda 2 Hyrule? Kind of like the animated series, except good?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Maybe they'd start with the Zelda 1/Zelda 2 Hyrule?
If I was the writer/director I'd personally favor the first game as it's a bit more of a blank slate and I could incorporate elements of later titles more freely. Zelda 2's Hyrule has more established imagery and culture and that would be harder to adapt tastefully

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom