• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie in the Works

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
I mean, maybe in a man with no name sort of way, but that really isn't what Zelda is about.
There is a movie, trying to recall, he hero speaks sparsely, but every line is memorable. That is way to go. I would imagine most of his lines would be directed to Zelda, and maybe a few towards Ganon.

In contrast I eant Ganon to talk a lot, hence I want Idris Elba to be his voice. Idris did a great job as Knuckles in Sonic 2 The Movie.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
There is a movie, trying to recall, he hero speaks sparsely, but every line is memorable. That is way to go. I would imagine most of his lines would be directed to Zelda, and maybe a few towards Ganon.

In contrast I eant Ganon to talk a lot, hence I want Idris Elba to be his voice. Idris did a great job as Knuckles in Sonic 2 The Movie.
For me the issue is that they would absolutely use that as a crutch the same way the Zelda games do: Link never talks, so half of everyone else's dialogue is spent explaining what Link said and thinks.

Link: ...

Other Character: "Oh, you want me to go do this? That's a great idea, Link!"

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
For me the issue is that they would absolutely use that as a crutch the same way the Zelda games do: Link never talks, so half of everyone else's dialogue is spent explaining what Link said and thinks.

Link: ...

Other Character: "Oh, you want me to go do this? That's a great idea, Link!"
Unless it is established Link is mute, then he could do something like sign language like the girl in A Quiet Place.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Actually, come to think of it, I would rather not have a movie but instead another Zelda TV show. Movies last only two hours or 2.5 hours. Not a lot of time for a large over-arching narrative to be told. Zelda usually has a much more rich story to be told in the world you explore, the people you help, and the adventure taking you to fantastical places. So it would make more sense to do this over the course of multiple episodes rather than a movie.

We've had pretty great adaptations of videogames in the form of TV shows in the past couple years.
Arcane
Dragon's Dogma
Castlevania (which is getting a sequel series starring Richter this year :D)

Imagine if we got Frederator (the guys behind Castlevania & the upcoming Castlevania Nocturne) to give us a Zelda TV show.

The real question is of course, regardless of which studio would make this hypothetical TV show, ... should they make an animated adaptation of one of the video games we already have? Basically tell the same story with some poetic licencing to add fluff like what Akira Himekawa did with their manga adaptations?
or
Should we get a new story written in house but approved by Nintendo to be a brand new tale starring a new incarnation of Link or perhaps a tale of an incarnation we already know going on a new quest, such as the Hero of Twilight finally getting the story of the cancelled sequel to Twilight Princess be told?

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Actually, come to think of it, I would rather not have a movie but instead another Zelda TV show. Movies last only two hours or 2.5 hours. Not a lot of time for a large over-arching narrative to be told. Zelda usually has a much more rich story to be told in the world you explore, the people you help, and the adventure taking you to fantastical places. So it would make more sense to do this over the course of multiple episodes rather than a movie.

We've had pretty great adaptations of videogames in the form of TV shows in the past couple years.
Arcane
Dragon's Dogma
Castlevania (which is getting a sequel series starring Richter this year :D)

Imagine if we got Frederator (the guys behind Castlevania & the upcoming Castlevania Nocturne) to give us a Zelda TV show.

The real question is of course, regardless of which studio would make this hypothetical TV show, ... should they make an animated adaptation of one of the video games we already have? Basically tell the same story with some poetic licencing to add fluff like what Akira Himekawa did with their manga adaptations?
or
Should we get a new story written in house but approved by Nintendo to be a brand new tale starring a new incarnation of Link or perhaps a tale of an incarnation we already know going on a new quest, such as the Hero of Twilight finally getting the story of the cancelled sequel to Twilight Princess be told?
I think an animated movie would work best for the more fantastical stuff. A live action TV show runs the risk of looking like Legend of the Seeker. It's a fun show, but not exactly the highest of bars.

I'm not really keen on Nintendo's approval. While I play some of their games I do not respect them as a haven of good storytelling. I think a good Zelda TV series would setup its own characters and storylines and keep Nintendo out of the writing room. Knowing them they'd veto something as basic as giving Ganon any motivation whatsoever.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
I'm not really keen on Nintendo's approval.
The only reason I added the clause of having Nintendo's green light was because when the original author is involved in managing something, it tends to be better. (Metro Last Light for example - Written in house by 4A Studios, presented to Dmitry Glukhovsky, and approved for production).

And then we have examples of something NOT given oversight from the ones who own the series.
(Cat In The Hat is why the Seuss family forbid live-action adaptations and the recent Halo TV show is just a Sci-Fi story with Halo's title duct-taped onto it.)

Something that is created third-party WHILE getting approval by the original party seems to be better received by the collective fanbase in general.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Bowsette, I think a lot of your arguments come from the fact that Nintendo prioritizes gameplay over story. If it was a story-based medium, it would probably be a different story, pun not intended.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The only reason I added the clause of having Nintendo's green light was because when the original author is involved in managing something, it tends to be better. (Metro Last Light for example - Written in house by 4A Studios, presented to Dmitry Glukhovsky, and approved for production).

And then we have examples of something NOT given oversight from the ones who own the series.
(Cat In The Hat is why the Seuss family forbid live-action adaptations and the recent Halo TV show is just a Sci-Fi story with Halo's title duct-taped onto it.)

Something that is created third-party WHILE getting approval by the original party seems to be better received by the collective fanbase in general.
My fear is mostly that Nintendo will only give the okay to the safest, blandest plot presented to them. While stuff like Metro Last Light and Metro Exodus still branched out wildly from the source material while being given the thumbs up, I don't expect Nintendo to okay anything that doesn't fall within a very rigid narrative.

This is the same company that is still embarrassed by Majora's Mask.
Bowsette, I think a lot of your arguments come from the fact that Nintendo prioritizes gameplay over story. If it was a story-based medium, it would probably be a different story, pun not intended.
You can have good gameplay and good story. Nintendo doesn't get a pass on stuff like TotK's bad story just because they "focus on gameplay". Plenty of other developers manage great gameplay without borking their narratives. The storytelling isn't bad because the developers are in a corner developing the gameplay, the story is bad because the writers are writing bad story.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
You can have good gameplay and good story. Nintendo doesn't get a pass on stuff like TotK's bad story just because they "focus on gameplay". Plenty of other developers manage great gameplay without borking their narratives.
I know that, what I'm saying is that if they were to be involved in the creation of a movie or show, then it would likely only be the people that work on the story, so they would have more creative free reign.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I know that, what I'm saying is that if they were to be involved in the creation of a movie or show, then it would likely only be the people that work on the story, so they would have more creative free reign.
And I'm saying I don't want those writers involved with a Zelda TV show, because their track record for compelling narratives is awful. :eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom