• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie in the Works

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'll believe it when I see it. It's a rumor we've heard before. Not only that, but last time word was leaked by a Legend of Zelda adaptation was in production Nintendo canceled the project. If there really is a Zelda movie in the works then my one hope is that Nintendo isn't involved in its production at all.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I'll believe it when I see it. It's a rumor we've heard before. Not only that, but last time word was leaked by a Legend of Zelda adaptation was in production Nintendo canceled the project. If there really is a Zelda movie in the works then my one hope is that Nintendo isn't involved in its production at all.
Nintendo is doing us a solid by preventing the horror of talking link from seeing the light of day

If the goal was to actually bring a good story experience rather than references and gimmicks, they could just cover an aspect of Zelda history that is not compatible with being made into a game, say... the Great Flood in The Wind Waker, where there was no hero. Wouldn't even have to worry about Link talking because he's not even there.

But I wouldn't trust anything good coming out of them doing that cuz that probably wouldn't sell as much as just a general Zelda movie in the vein of Hyrule Warriors plot probably.

Mikey the Moblin

Although thinking about it there is an artistic premise somewhere in here about making a movie focusing entirely on a mute protagonist and still making that protagonist feel real and relatable

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If the goal was to actually bring a good story experience rather than references and gimmicks, they could just cover an aspect of Zelda history that is not compatible with being made into a game, say... the Great Flood in The Wind Waker, where there was no hero. Wouldn't even have to worry about Link talking because he's not even there.

But I wouldn't trust anything good coming out of them doing that cuz that probably wouldn't sell as much as just a general Zelda movie in the vein of Hyrule Warriors plot probably.
I'm all for dropping Link as a character, but the public will expect Link to carry a Zelda movie. It'd be like excluding Mario from the Mario movie.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
People would let ghibli do it
True, but Ghibli works best when doing their own thing. I regard Tales of Earthsea as their weakest film and that was them trying to adapt something. I guess bottom line for me is that Nintendo should remain hands off. I don't need them jamming their filthy hands into a film salad and ruining it the same way Shigeru Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario and Starfox.

Mikey the Moblin

True, but Ghibli works best when doing their own thing. I regard Tales of Earthsea as their weakest film and that was them trying to adapt something. I guess bottom line for me is that Nintendo should remain hands off. I don't need them jamming their filthy hands into a film salad and ruining it the same way Shigeru Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario and Starfox.
That's what I mean tho. Like if ghibli independently decided that the Zelda movie shouldn't have link in it people would let it happen just cuz it's ghibli

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Illumination better keep their GRUBBY HANDS OFF OF THIS SACRED FRANCHISE!!!

We don't need Minions references and butt jokes littering the movie.

You know who SHOULD do the Zelda movie?

STUDIO GHIBLI !!!
Ghibli Zelda.jpg

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I don't think Illumination would work as well with the more serious tone of Zelda games. I'd love to be proven wrong. I guess they'll use Groose as a template for the required comedic relief character.
Nhaha
images.jpeg-283.jpg
People will fawn over it and refuse to criticize it for anything just because ooh ghibli so purdy
Spirited Away and My Neighborhood Totoro had a crap story
images.jpeg-284.jpg

I've never understood the idea that Link must never talk in a movie. It's been part of the conversation ever since the dawn of online Zelda communities. The only reasons I ever hear are "They screwed up CD-i and the cartoon", "Link is a mute" or essentially "that's how it's always been in the games".

Like do people not realize that Link has had several instances of visible dialogue in the series? Yeah sure they could screw it up but Link is also not just one person and, if a movie were to be made, then it's likely it would be set in its own universe just like the Mario movie. If it sucks it basically doesn't matter because it can be easily disregarded.

I'm not super hyped over the idea of Illumination being in charge of the film. I think they were a good match for Mario, and the Mario film turned out pretty well. Zelda though? It has a completely different vibe from anything Illumination normally does. That being said, I'd still be willing to see how it pans out. A lot of "bad ideas on paper" have ended up creating good things in the past so who knows. If we get a bad movie it still won't impact the games either way.

Last edited:

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
If Illumination was making Zelda as rumored, the voice of Link would most likely be Seth Rogan; much to the dismay of everyone.

As for the Voice Actor for Link, if I was doing the casting? Johnny Yong Bosch if we were making Link a bit more a goof in this story.
But if the movie called for a more serious yet youthful voice? Victor Joseph Mignogna.
And for a more stoic and soft spoken voice actor? Sam Witwer would easily pull off a character that speaks only when nessessary, plus if we need a scene where Link has some rage unleashed; well... we know that Sam has the vocals for it to come off as Link going full ham in a scene where the violence becomes personal.

But in all honesty, we all know what Link's voice actor would be, HANDS DOWN.
Morgan Freeman.
Obviously joking with the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom