• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Talks: Should Zelda include multiplayer?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Now I know this is not a Gossip Stone article. But I'm on a mission to let you guys who skip the homepage straight to the forums know about all the great articles your missing, and let us discuss the topic; instead of it being swallowed up by the Disqus comments. I stumbled across this article, and found the authors (plural) replies to the question. Heres a link:
Zelda Dungeon Talks: Should Zelda games include multiplayer?

So what do you guys think. How would you like it to be done? Online or local? And why do you choose online or local?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I found some of the answers surprising. Like all the hate for online... yet allow four sword style multiplayer. Why not use the foursword Multiplay with online... Unless there is no headset chat on the nintendo, cuz if thats the case then okay. I have never played online with the Wii U, and to be honest if you cant chat on the Wii U I find that as a really stupid decision.

I think you could do the four sword approach, I think that would be cool in a 3D console game. I dont think it should be the main quest or anything from it, unless there is a mode to team up and complete dungeons as fast as you can to compete for a time record. I think that the online multiplayer should have its own worlds and dungeons. Like how GTA has its own online world apart from the actual game..... only with not as many people. It should be party based with a max of 4. While this is an ambitious notion, if Zelda is gonna go off and make some kind of online thing, then go big or dont do it at all. I am just fine with the single player game. But if they could find a clever way to make Mutiplayer, and online, go big or go home!

InnerMobius

TLOZ: Sacred Paradox
I wouldn't mind to see a 3D Zelda pull off the Shadow Link battles like in A Link Between Worlds... but in real-time. Maybe have maxed hearts and go for best of 3 rounds or something with all of the items available to you after you beat the game or something.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Oh yes, I've always wanted to see multiplayer, particularly online multiplayer, in the Zelda franchise. The series can cater to both cooperative and competitive multiplayer, though I think cooperative multiplayer would be a little more fleshed out with dungeons that require more than one Link to complete, along the lines of the Four Swords games. Or, the series can take a more traditional multipayer approach and simply spawn more enemies the more people that are playing. Competitive multiplayer could include a sword battle in a small arena or a battle across an empty dungeon like area with all items. This would allow for a greater diversity in strategic play.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I'd prefer to not have online, as I don't want to see a billion Links running around, and I don't want customization, so there's no way around that. If they wanted to make Zelda playable, or maybe someone else who isn't Link or a different version of Link, then I'd be fine with multiplayer, so long as it's completely optional and the game is built around single player, not multiplayer.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
After playing A Link Between Worlds, I always thought it would be a good idea to have a 1 vs 1 online mode where you choose a few items from the game, and go online to test your skills againts another person, there can be king of the hill style lobbies where others can watch the battle before their turn. Hyrule Warriors was the perfect opportunity for this, but online mode wasn't something that happened, so maybe they get the idea for Zelda U...

wingedarcher7

Kono Link da!
I guess an extra online battle mode would be nice, but I really don't see myself going to it very often. I play Zelda games because I love the solo adventure and the engaging story. I like being able to go through it myself and see it the way I want to. I wouldn't want one where I have to rely on others, even if it is like Four Swords. That's just me, an extra little option would be neat but I personally don't care for multiplayer in my Zelda games.

hero_of_hearts

Come at me, broseidon
Yes if they did a game based around it I want to play through the hyrulean civil war. Classes including : goron (strong but slow) zora (swift but weak) hylian (balanced with emphasis on strength) and kokiri (balanced with speed emphasis). battle across the OoT map free for all, capture the triforce (flag), and take the base games. Or maybe we can replace gorons with moblins, zoras with... Octoroks? Maybe? Oh or the old school zoras salt water zoras i think their called, hylians with stalfos and kokiri with deku scrubs. For a dark team and you can unite the forces of Hyrule against these demons for some team deathmatch combat. Emphasis on melee combat for all modes because projectiles will be incredibly weak. Even add maps based on other games overworlds. (OP zora in WW overworld anybody) I could seriously play this for hours. As an optional mode in a single player prominent game yknow four swords is cool... Never played it but Vaati so yeah.

Darn it hero_of_hearts, i was all set to say "no never not ever" and then you had to go and say that. So I'll revise it to "no, never, not ever in a main Zelda game. But spinoffs are okay." Honestly, I'd like to see the mythos used in more ways, like how they took a stab with Hyrule Warriors and it ended up being a critical hit.

I wouldn't mind a competitive Zelda MP, but co-op puzzles have been proven by Portal 2 to be extremely frustrating if you and your partner aren't thinking at the same pace in the same style. You might have already found out that throwing that block through a hoop so that he can catch it and place it on a button would work, meanwhile HE could be thinking, "Hm... well, that block is probably meant for him. Maybe I'm supposed to find my own block, and he's supposed to find his own button".

It would really only work if it was couch co-op because you're going to need some fast communication.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
They did multiplayer for phantom hourglass. It was a pretty neat idea. However, if they wanted a multiplayer game they definitely should do it in a separate game rather than the main quest.

I wouldn't mind a competitive Zelda MP, but co-op puzzles have been proven by Portal 2 to be extremely frustrating if you and your partner aren't thinking at the same pace in the same style. You might have already found out that throwing that block through a hoop so that he can catch it and place it on a button would work, meanwhile HE could be thinking, "Hm... well, that block is probably meant for him. Maybe I'm supposed to find my own block, and he's supposed to find his own button".

It would really only work if it was couch co-op because you're going to need some fast communication.
Also, if your only choices for partners are ham-handed über-casuals, then fighting a boss would be extraordinarily problematic: either your friend is too terrible at it to beat the boss, or the boss is too easy in order to compensate for a bad co-op partner.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
The Multiplayer depends for me. If it is kinda like four swords multiplayer where you can have local would be cool. Online wouldn't be bad if you can have people join at random like dead rising2. Where you could have online people just join.

Now if it was just fun lil minigames that were multiplayer I wouldn't mind. I liked the force collecting multiplayer from phantom hourglass. It was a fun lil mini game to play. I'd also like a link versus link thing. You know how you had the fighting an Ai shadow link through streetpass in ALBW. Be neat to just have two links fight eachother with their weapons of choice.

Other then that I think multiplayer for zelda is very unneccessary but I do like some of what we had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom