• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Thoughts on Skyward Sword Surpassing the Legacy of Ocarina of Time?

Okay personally OOT and MM i think will never again be topped by another zelda game,i absolutely never have gotten tired of either of the games; however, i do like the fact that skyward sword has new possiblities and gameplay annnddd is also bringing back old innovations so i think it will be even with OOT and may possibly surpass but i doubt just because OOT is the first of its kind. It makes me really look foward to the game that has old and new innovations and i believe the game will be one of a kind and really fun to play. I have not been dissapointed a with a zelda game yet and i think this game will be a blast!

Okay personally OOT and MM i think will never again be topped by another zelda game,i absolutely never have gotten tired of either of the games; however, i do like the fact that skyward sword has new possiblities and gameplay annnddd is also bringing back old innovations so i think it will be even with OOT and may possibly surpass but i doubt just because OOT is the first of its kind. It makes me really look foward to the game that has old and new innovations and i believe the game will be one of a kind and really fun to play. I have not been dissapointed a with a zelda game yet and i think this game will be a blast!
Dr. Cox, if you could handle this one...
[video=youtube;WrjwaqZfjIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY[/video]
OoT is NOT, I repeat NOT, the first of it's kind. There were several 3D adventure games that came out before it: "Super Mario 64", "Banjo-Kazooie", "Crash Bandicoot", and there are probably a few more I can't think of. What made OoT good was that it did things well, not first. Who cares what game did what first? That doesn't matter as long as the game is good. However, what does matter is getting your facts straight.

Dr. Cox, if you could handle this one...
[video=youtube;WrjwaqZfjIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY[/video]
OoT is NOT, I repeat NOT, the first of it's kind. There were several 3D adventure games that came out before it: "Super Mario 64", "Banjo-Kazooie", "Crash Bandicoot", and there are probably a few more I can't think of. What made OoT good was that it did things well, not first. Who cares what game did what first? That doesn't matter as long as the game is good. However, what does matter is getting your facts straight.
cleary i was talking the first zelda game with that style and graphics, and dont be a smart@ss because im pretty sure i know what im talking about thank you

Last edited:
Z

Zeldatriforce

In my opinion not many games can surpass ocarina of time maybe in gameplay styles and graphics but other than that ocarina of time is one of the most classic games except for perhaps link to the past while my favorite game is wind waker i still love ocarina of time i cant wait for skyward sword but im not sure it can surpass ocarina of time. Long Live Hyrule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
From what I'm seeing from Skyward Sword is incredible. We've never seen this kind of gameplay in a Zelda game before and I honestly believe that Skyward Sword will top Ocarina of Time. Keep in mind that Ocarina of Time is my favourite Zelda game but everything I'm seeing from Skyward Sword is really impressing me. What little we know of the story intrigues me, the gameplay is what the Wii should've been from the very start, and most importantly it's miraculous art style. Nintendo is making a very smart move with this game as I think it will add an excellent "bang" to end the Wii's life.

What I want to get at now is the upgrading system. This system will make use of all the items that Link will collect and I'm loving it. We've seen small tidbits of "upgrading" in Zelda games in the past (for example, wallets, power bracelets, Swords etc) but nothing like this. It seems that Link can easily venture back up to Skyloft and upgrade any of the items he has depending on what kind of items he collects during his adventure. Many of these items it seems can be found by defeating enemies or using the new dowsing system. I think this will add to the replay factor.

It would be ignorant of me to say to ultimately say that Skyward Sword will beat out Ocarina of Time because they were both games made in completely different gaming eras. Skyward Sword has technology that Ocarina of Time never had so I think it's not fair to totally dismiss Ocarina of Time. Although I believe Skyward Sword will surpass Ocarina of Time doesn't mean that it will. Ocarina of Time has influenced many different games over the years and I think that's huge. Skyward Sword may have the same effect on future Wii U titles but we won't know that for sure until a very long time. All we can do now is speculate

Another important point in the task of surpassing OoT as the greatest Zelda, is to not be an complete Oddball. I know that SS come filled with novelty (which is great), but it must fell like a Zelda game, a Zelda world to its bones! Not only in gameplay but in thematics.

A suposed Cowboy or Samurai themed Zelda game would never be considered the greatest Zelda ever, as perfect its execution may be done.

T

TriforceReviews

honestly i belive that it will surpass oot just because it takes a stndard zelda and give it somthing new and revolutionary just like what oot did way back. it looks to be shaping up to be a incredible plot flawless gameplay and loads of fun mind you that this is my opinion :)

cleary i was talking the first zelda game with that style and graphics, and dont be a smart@ss because im pretty sure i know what im talking about thank you
If you were clear, no mistake would have been made. Forgive me for not adding words you didn't type into your post. You said that it was the first of it's kind, not the first Zelda game of it's kind. If that's what you meant, that's what you should have said.

Z

zbygy9

will it be a better game? i think so.

will it have the impact oot did when it was released? probably not... but you never know.

will it be a better game? i think so.

will it have the impact oot did when it was released? probably not... but you never know.
Yeah, one of the most beloved things about OoT was it's impact, 3D graphics and the core gameplay mechanics that pretty much stuck throughout the series, is it even possible for SS to have as many innovations besides Wii Motion Plus? We'll have to wait and see I guess!

Z

Zeldatriforce

:)Ya i have to agree that the gameplay on skyward sword looks fantastic i also am a cell shaded fan:)

Last edited by a moderator:

demonsxlr8

Join the Dark Slide! :D
For me this Game looks like it will be the best in the series, i loved OoT, but i don't think it was the best Zelda game, maybe for the time it was really innovanting , but since i only played this year, i didn't really recieved that impact. But i am really excited for SS i have never been so damn excited for a Game! I love the art style, the gameplay with the wii motion plus, and... EVERYTHING I'VE SAW. srsly this looks promising.

If you were clear, no mistake would have been made. Forgive me for not adding words you didn't type into your post. You said that it was the first of it's kind, not the first Zelda game of it's kind. If that's what you meant, that's what you should have said.

Well maybe you could assume i was referring to zelda because i dont know, this is a ZELDA forum! And technically i was correct because it WAS the first of its kind when reffering to zelda, idk why you would think i would be talking about other games in a skyward sword topic in a zelda forum. Specially the fact that you said it like a pretty big douchebag is what really bugged me, and dont be so literal and techincal. Zelda forums are to have fun and express the way you feel for the games, if you want to be such a literal douchebag then go for politics!

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I will say ahead of time that I am deeply attached to Ocarina of Time and believe it to be the best game. Ever. However, reading into all the news of Skyward Sword, I must say that I also wonder if SS may surpass the legacy. Ocarina of Time definitely innovative for its time. It used some of the best that 1998 had to offer. SS will be doing this for the Wii.

However, to Skyward Sword's disadvantage, the Wii will soon be 'replaced' by the Wii U (not to say that everyone will throw out their Wii, but that the Wii U will come out shortly after the release). When the new HD graphics come out, and the new Zelda Wii U game that may come out, Skyward Sword may not gain that legacy. The 64 still had a few years left after Ocarina of Time came out.

Of course, I will say that there is more of a Zelda community now that helps SS gain its legacy. For example, now we have ZeldaDungeon, which is where we have the ability to share our excitement, which gets others more excited.

Ocarina of Time will always have a special place in my, and many other's, hearts. It revolutionized the Zelda games, and I'm sure Skyward Sword will do that as well. As far as legacy, I guess we'll have to see what happens. If any game will leave such an impression as Ocarina of Time, I am sure it would be Skyward Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom