• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Yet Another TotK Timeline Placement Theory

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Resident Evil's lore has been retconned to hell and back and suffers from horrible writing and inconsistencies that requires multiple sources to understand. But you still haven't provided a single example of what this supposed good writing looks like that is going to fix your issue with THIS series. Merely suggesting good writing and listing off a bunch of franchises that have nothing to do with Zelda isn’t telling me that you actually understand what this good writing looks like. If all that matters to you in terms of writing is knowing the chronological order of events and not the actual quality of the work, then you have no right to act like an expert on the subject. I'm done with this thread now.
Okay, bro. I'd also ignore all the other series on that list.

Resident Evil's lore has been retconned to hell and back and suffers from horrible writing and inconsistencies that requires multiple sources to understand. But you still haven't provided a single example of what this supposed good writing looks like that is going to fix your issue with THIS series. Merely suggesting good writing and listing off a bunch of franchises that have nothing to do with Zelda isn’t telling me that you actually understand what this good writing looks like. If all that matters to you in terms of writing is knowing the chronological order of events and not the actual quality of the work, then you have no right to act like an expert on the subject. I'm done with this thread now.
They genuinely think BotW and TotK don't connect to each other because of that timeline pic. Lol I can't take em seriously

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm happy for you and your fanfiction. That's not what people are trying to do here though
My man, you have decided that I feel a particular way about how BotW and TotK fit in with the rest of the series even as I continue to just point at the current official timeline.

1727099075657.jpeg

If you are trying to retcon this into an unrelated "linear" timeline or add some hitherto unseen fourth branch then you are very much writing fanfiction.

My man, you have decided that I feel a particular way about how BotW and TotK fit in with the rest of the series even as I continue to just point at the current official timeline.

View attachment 77774

If you are trying to retcon this into an unrelated "linear" timeline or add some hitherto unseen fourth branch then you are very much writing fanfiction.
You're the one retconning things

You: posts pic of Zelda timeline from Sydney show

Me: "Ok, so BotW and TotK aren't connected to each other? They also aren't connected to the rest of the games?"

You: Nintendo and their crap chronology.

It's not possible for that to be the official timeline, unless YOU are retconning what was already established.

These are facts established in game and out
1. BotW takes place at least 10000 years after any other Zelda game
2. TotK takes place less than 10 years after BotW

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
You're the one retconning things

You: posts pic of Zelda timeline from Sydney show

Me: "Ok, so BotW and TotK aren't connected to each other? They also aren't connected to the rest of the games?"

You: Nintendo and their crap chronology.

It's not possible for that to be the official timeline, unless YOU are retconning what was already established.

These are facts established in game and out
1. BotW takes place at least 10000 years after any other Zelda game
2. TotK takes place less than 10 years after BotW
Oh yeah, lemme get Nintendo on the horn and tell them the official timeline they're showing off at their big Nintendo Live event isn't the official timeline and that I just made the whole thing up. :eyes:

Oh yeah, lemme get Nintendo on the horn and tell them the official timeline they're showing off at their big Nintendo Live event isn't the official timeline and that I just made the whole thing up.
Right, so you are ok with retconning, if this is the correct timeline

Honest question... Why do you comment in these threads about this kind of stuff? You're very contradictory. You dig your heels in and saying there should be no retconning, but yet here you are supporting what would be retconning

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Right, so you are ok with retconning.

Honest question... Why do you comment in these threads about this kind of stuff? You're very contradictory. You dig your heels in and saying there should be no retconning, but yet here you are supporting what would be retconning
I'm not okay with retconning, no? I've repeatedly stated how much the use bothers me in regards to "fixing" the timeline, but I've also repeatedly said that you should work with the canon you have, not the canon you want. Nintendo is the one who gets to update the timeline, so retcons or not it's the canon we have.

Not sure what contradiction you're looking for. I've been very specific throughout the thread. Heck, I can quote myself all through this thread's first three-ish pages if you're unclear on something.

I'm not okay with retconning, no? I've repeatedly stated how much the use bothers me in regards to "fixing" the timeline, but I've also repeatedly said that you should work with the canon you have, not the canon you want. Nintendo is the one who gets to update the timeline, so retcons or not it's the canon we have.
That's the thing you don't seem to understand though. What people in here are doing is going by the canon we have. We were already told by the games and Aonuma/Fujibayashi that BotW takes place at least 10000 years after any other zelda game. Then TotK takes place a handful of years after BotW. Whether as a historical fact or legend, all Zelda games take place in the past of these two games.

It would make no sense for Nintendo to now change their mind and say that these two games are no longer connected to each other, nor are they connected to the rest of the series.

Not sure what contradiction you're looking for. I've been very specific throughout the thread. Heck, I can quote myself all through this thread's first three-ish pages if you're confused.
All you've said is there should be no retcons, work with the canon you have. That's it. It's contradictory because the timeline you posted, would be retconning what was previously established.

You also make it seem like you only go by what's in game to prove any connectivity, yet here you are ignoring it for a timeline shared at a showcase, with no proper context to it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's the thing you don't seem to understand though. What people in here are doing is going by the canon we have. We were already told by the games and Aonuma/Fujibayashi that BotW takes place at least 10000 years after any other zelda game. Then TotK takes place a handful of years after BotW. Whether as a historical fact or legend, all Zelda games take place in the past of these two games.

It would make no sense for Nintendo to now change their mind and say that these two games are no longer connected to each other, nor are they connected to the rest of the series.

All you've said is there should be no retcons, work with the canon you have. That's it. It's contradictory because the timeline you posted, would be retconning what was previously established.

You also make it seem like you only go by what's in game to prove any connectivity, yet here you are ignoring it for a timeline shared at a showcase, with no proper context to it.
The premise of this thread was to make the case for a "linear timeline". To reorganize the chronology into such is not taking the canon we have.

There shouldn't be any retcons made for the sake of convenience, but if Nintendo makes them then that once again becomes the canon we have (which I stated not five posts ago). What proper context would make the updated timeline displayed at Nintendo Live better for you? "This is the updated official Zelda timeline and 9/11 was an inside job?"

That timeline is the current canon.

The premise of this thread was to make the case for a "linear timeline". To reorganize the chronology into such is not taking the canon we have.
Except it is. The document I shared with you yesterday is from Master Works that was released this month. People are going off that canon, to see how the rest of the games fit within BotW/TotK. We're only going by what Nintendo gives us.

There shouldn't be any retcons made for convenience, but if Nintendo makes them then that once again becomes the canon we have (which I stated not five posts ago). What proper context would make the updated timeline displayed at Nintendo Live better for you? "This is the updated official Zelda timeline and 9/11 was an inside job?"
Proper context is needed because as I said, we were already told BotW and TotK connected to each other and the rest of the games. Putting out the timeline that would seemingly retcon that, makes no sense. Especially for a series that ALWAYS connects the games, and provides extra context about how they connect.

Guinea

Much More Than A Soup™
Just chiming in to say that "BotW is at the end of the timeline" could mean multiple things, like: "this game takes place canonically after all the other games, somehow", or "this is a new canon set apart from all the previous games", or "we have no idea how to explain ourselves, we just wanted to make an open-world Zelda"

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Except it is. The document I shared with you yesterday is from Master Works that was released this month. People are going off that canon, to see how the rest of the games fit within BotW/TotK. We're only going by what Nintendo gives us.

Proper context is needed because as I said, we were already told BotW and TotK connected to each other and the rest of the games. Putting out the timeline that would seemingly retcon that, makes no sense. Especially for a series that ALWAYS connects the games, and provides extra context about how they connect.
Nothing in that except contradicts the timeline as it's currently written. It lays out the chronology presented in TotK and BotW and nothing else.

And... are we really at the point in the conversation where you're going to insist that Nintendo, the ultimate arbitor of their own lore, somehow put out an incorrect timeline for the games because it doesn't jive with personal canon? That really is just rejecting the current canon because you find it inconvenient.

Nothing in that except contradicts the timeline as it's currently written. It lays out the chronology presented in TotK and BotW and nothing else.

You're forgetting that the games take place at least 10000 years after any other game. The BotW/TotK chronology includes all the other games either as historical fact or legend. Zelda games have always been made to have their place in the overall chronology of the series. From my pov, the timeline you posted contradicts what's already been said about BotW/TotK

And... are we really at the point in the conversation where you're going to insist that Nintendo, the ultimate arbitor of their own lore, somehow put out an incorrect timeline for the games because it doesn't jive with personal canon? That really is just rejecting the current canon because you find it inconvenient.

I can say the same of you. You rejecting the fact that the Zelda team says these games are all connected.

At this point it's not worth arguing about what is correct, because we both believe what we believe is true.

With that said, why are you here commenting in this thread? Just to derail it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom