• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Yahoo Games Deems Sonic and Assassin's Creed As "Old, Boring Fracnchises"

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Where’s their *bleeping* headquarters.....Lord Vain is not amused......and has a fully charged Shinra Tensei with their name on it!

Assassin’s Creed: Eh, I wouldn’t know much…..but Blood Shadow is an Assassin, so he respects a game series about Assassin’s…..still never really played it though.

Sonic: Generations was full of remade stages of both classic and more recent areas…..sure the game was rather short for me…..but it was still awesmazing. Don’t even get me started on what I’ve heard regarding a Sonic Game on Wii U…..just crazy stuff, that sounds interesting because you want to know how the hell something like that could even work.

In the end, Yahoo can take their negativity and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine…….End of Line.

Last edited:

Hanyou

didn't build that
I don't give a damn about Assassin's Creed as I've never played one of the games and don't care to, but Sonic Generations was one of the best games I played this year. I'd put it fourth, just behind Portal 2, Skyward Sword, and Super Mario 3D Land.

I don't think they know what they're talking about.

Ganondork

goo
Hmmm, they didn't really bash Assassin's Creed quite like how I expected. They aren't saying it's the same thing over and over again, they're saying Revelations was a bit too much of the same - which is very much incorrect. It's a fact that it received the lowest score out of the console games, but the fact is that it was still one of the better Assassin's Creed games. Many people just expect there to be killing throughout every cutscene and mission, but they're usually disappointed.

Assassin's Creed is more than what it seems. It's not just the story of two Assassins fighting to protect the Creed and stop the Templars' evil ideology. It's a story of Desmond's journey to stop the end of the world - a fate the People Who Came Before met. And the fact is, Ezio and Altair understand this. They understand that they aren't going to be the ones to change the world - it's Desmond's job to do it. And that just makes the story even better.

HylianHero said:
but they all look the same to me.

I don't think I could ever disagree more. Assassin's Creed introduces extremely different concepts every game, while still using old ones. Take the Borgia Towers for example. In Revelations, they became the Templar Dens and you had to defend them instead of just having them forever without any conflict. The Den Defense was also very hard, and added a new style of gameplay to Assassin's Creed; defending the dens.

Combat has also greatly improved. Just the kill streak alone gives it a much smoother feel. It was no longer the blocky attacks; it became weaving through great crowds, killing as you went. As combat changed, so did enemies. From the simple Damascus guards to the towering Janissaries, there's a huge change in enemies. We've seen differences between Altair and Ezio as well. Altair is smaller and requires more defensive, whereas Ezio is larger and can easily take the offensive.

And now, we've even seen Desmond's past. Desmond's Journey was an interesting side part that gave us an insight on his life. Desmond has really evolved from a character that few fans really liked. You have to like him after awhile; he was born an Assassin and just wanted to live a new life.

And Desmond isn't the only one that I began to like later on in the series; Altair also became a great character in my eyes. I didn't really like him in the first game, but Revelations changed everything. I don't think I've ever felt so bad for a character in my life. Altair truly had a hard life. His best friend was murdered, his wife killed, his youngest son sentenced to death - and was told his own father ordered it - and had to make his son leave Masyaf so Altair could hide the Apple. From there, he died alone. Such a sad ending for such a great character.

And Assassin's Creed his also manifested itself in multiple forms of media. It has a few videos - Lineage and Embers - a book for every game, and I believe there's a comic for the game. Few games have had such success to be able to do this. Assassin's Creed is by far one of the best series' out there right now. And I could easily go on.

Fact is, Assassin's Creed has not grown old. The music is getting better and better, as is the story and gameplay. Assassin's Creed is like fine wine - it gets better with age.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Whoever wrote that article most likely ain't a gamer and is probably ******** as well. Why? Because Call of Duty wasn't on that list. I in no way see how Assassin's Creed is "aging" when no one is providing us with the same type of game. Assassin's Creed is one of a kind. The first one had it's flaws and the second improved on them. One to two was a great leap. And again, I wouldn't call Brotherhood a major release. Revelations was the next major release. If you truly enjoy something why would you b*tch about having more and learning more of the story? Especially when it's not as broken as Call of Duty. Sonic on the other hand....I never understood why people say he's been sucking when only three games sucked. Sonic has been doing really well lately and as long as Sega is understanding the series then I want more.

Last edited:

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I don't think I could ever disagree more. Assassin's Creed introduces extremely different concepts every game, while still using old ones. Take the Borgia Towers for example. In Revelations, they became the Templar Dens and you had to defend them instead of just having them forever without any conflict. The Den Defense was also very hard, and added a new style of gameplay to Assassin's Creed; defending the dens.

I said that that was all I could tell by looking at it, I wasn't trying to deem it the same, it just looked like it.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I never pay attention to what Yahoo Games talks about anyways. It's usually just useless garbage that doesn't even matter and most of their writers don't know what's good anymore. Every time I see an article on it, I skip it and just laugh.

The problem with Sonic is that the franchise has just steered so off course that it hardly resembles what started on the Sega Master System. Critics have a fun time bashing these experiments such as Sonic Unleashed. In addition, even more traditional installments such as Colors and Generations are bashed because they're "worse" than the older games. time to take off those rose tinted glasses. This should be taken with a grain of salt, however, for critics have taken a similar stance on 2D Mario games. Seem most demand for a title to absolutely push a system to its limit nowadays.

As for Assassin's Creed, the series appears to be a technical marvel. It's a shame as I've never played any of the games in the series but honestly do intend to. The graphics, gameplay, and soundtrack appear to be top notch. Personally, I am also biased towards this franchise for I perceive only the most intelligent of gamers to enter the action-adventure genre. The only problem with Assassin's Creed, however, is that it's become an annual franchise and soon may truly become as stale as Call of Duty and rely on relatively minor changes to lure the most faithful. Only time will tell. However, Nintendo has gotten away with Mario, Zelda, and Metroid for over 25 years. Only time will tell whether or not Ubisoft will bring the franchise to ruin.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really can't disagree more. Especially with Sonic. Colors and Generations have received nothing but praise from the fans, and I'm pretty sure Assassin's Creed still has strong support despite the fact that the last two games were a bit of a letdown compared to what they were supposed to be (although their reasoning makes a slight bit of sense). This gives me another reason to not care for Yahoo Games. I've never agreed with their thoughts on things and have noticed a few graphics whores among them, which is one thing I can't stand, especially in a "professional" gamer. But, whatever. I know what they're saying isn't true, so why should I care?

I don't think they know what they're talking about.

They never have. They're worse than GameSpot with their SS review when it comes to understanding things.

Last edited:

LnktheWolf

The Sacred Wolf of Legend
I don't agree at all with this. I haven't played some of the more recent sonic games, but they look great. Assassin's Creed is a great franchise, the first with Altair had good gameplay and a great story. the second one improved on the gameplay a lot, and the story was good but not quite as good. Brotherhood had great gameplay, but not the greatest story. The last one improved on the gameplay from Brotherhood, but in all honesty was a story-filler with a way to end the great Ezio Auditore and allaborated on Altair's story (making him one of my favorite characters from any game series) but did great on it's own story as well.

only two sonic games really stank as black knight was great ecspecialy(srry about spelling) in story ascpect as for colors and generations ive pllayed colors and it was great but havent played the other one though. as for ac went about three levels then gave it to my brother who lost it that day it was decent for me but i cant critisize or praise for not playng enough of it which what yahoo di theyre good with news abd browsin but no games

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom