• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
You actually need a New 3DS in order to play it. Just so you know.

I do know. I own it. But I do see where you are going. If you don't have the NEW one then you still are out of luck. However, If you trade your old one in and get a new one you could. Plus, it might be a worthy investment for the fact that even more great games may require the New one.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'd be interested in playing the original game if I could get my hands on it, but I'm not willing to shell out that much money for it. I'll keep my eyes open if I see any used copies locally or online that I can get for a decent price. Maybe if I play the new release and fall in love with it, I won't mind shelling out a bit extra to play the original. I don't have a New 3DS but perhaps I will pick one up at some point... :)
how much money are you willing to shell out,b/c i randomly bought the game for $50 w/ zero idea what i was getting into
and i can safely say it was worth the price i paid....+tax

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't mind shelling out $50 for it. Where did you find it for that price? I see it going for $85 on Amazon. I haven't seen anything cheaper than $65 for a used copy via GameStop.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I probably wouldn't mind shelling out $50 for it. Where did you find it for that price? I see it going for $85 on Amazon. I haven't seen anything cheaper than $65 for a used copy via GameStop.
egh,thats unfortunate,b/c i actually got it used from gamestop like around this time last year for that price

Last edited:
Advertising for the game at my local EB games.

fTeJo0W.jpg

Also EB games is taking pre-orders for the standard and limited editions

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/xen...paign=xenobladechroniclesx_aug15&utm_term=all

IKmzkSu.jpg

Here is an article where Nintendo said localising a game as huge as Xenoblade Chronicles X will be losing Nintendo money due to the costs involved with translating the masses of text and hiring in other language voice actors.

http://nintendoeverything.com/chris-pranger-of-nintendo-treehouse-elaborates-more-on-localization-woes/

Damn, Gamestop isn't taking preorders for the special edition. :(
They damn well ought to be. So very slack they are.

Sweetness! I just read that Xenoblade Chronicles has just been released on the Wii U Virtual Console in the UK. Can a North American release be far behind?
UK and Australia/New Zealand. I know as I am Australian and I have started playing it on the gamepad. I really hope it comes to the NA region soon too. Everyone deserves to play this masterpiece.

Pro Tip: I've never played the Wii disc, was not lucky enough to get one. The first time I played it was via the VC. Xenoblade Wii looks amazing on the gamepad screen. I would recommend you play it on that. That's what I am doing. $26 very well spent.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
UK and Australia/New Zealand. I know as I am Australian and I have started playing it on the gamepad. I really hope it comes to the NA region soon too. Everyone deserves to play this masterpiece.

Pro Tip: I've never played the Wii disc, was not lucky enough to get one. The first time I played it was via the VC. Xenoblade Wii looks amazing on the gamepad screen. I would recommend you play it on that. That's what I am doing. $26 very well spent.
Great! Also, listen. Xenoblade can be an extremely, extremely complicated game. If you ever need any help with it, do not hesitate to ask about it.

Great! Also, listen. Xenoblade can be an extremely, extremely complicated game. If you ever need any help with it, do not hesitate to ask about it.
Will do and thanks for the offer :)

The combat is pretty straightforward. It's just like World of warcraft. Auto attacks plus instants with cooldowns. The combat feels turn based sort of as you can't really dodge or avoid attacks. You can only block them or reduce your aggro so another party member is attacked instead. The only tricky part is when you have to do combos like unseadying them so they can be toppled so you can do damage to them. But past that not too complicated. The affinities the NPCs have with each other is pretty complicated though. Many many side quests to understand their stories. The screen that shows all their affinities like a web is huge. Will take me a long while to fill that one out.

The ingame help menu explains everything pretty well actually.

I do have one question though. When you have 3 party members and you get the party meter. The one with 3 blocks you can fill up. I know you can revive dead party members with one block of this meter. But can you do anything else with this meter?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Ohohoho.
It may be very simple at first, but it is very much more complicated than you think.
For example, the thing that you missed, tension, will be extremely mandatory as you progress in the game. Tension affects how often you auto-attack, and how much of the party gauge you will fill by result. If your party is doing poorly, you will be fighting an uphill battle. You can encourage your allies however, for normal tension.
The party gauge as well, is extremely important. Yes, you can revive fallen members with a section of the party gauge, however, that is not what you primarily use it. If you fill the whole bar up, it will allow you to use a chain attack. Chain attacks allow each person to use an art in succession. So if you want to, you could do a Break, Topple, Daze combo right there. However, whenever you use an art of the same color in a chain attack(or a characters talent art, which counts as every single color), you will multiply the damage done. So if you use 3 red arts, that last attack will do 3 times the damage. Furthermore, the higher the affinity that you have between the current party members and the higher the tension is, you will have the chances to add on more hits to that chain attack, and make the multiplier go higher. The talent gauge is also very useful for another thing as well. Thanks to smash, it is no spoiler that Shulk can see into the future. That corresponds into gameplay as well. Soonish, you will gain the ability to see the future. This means, that when an enemy is going to use an art that will kill you or do a ton of damage, Shulk will see it in a vision and you will get a couple of seconds to prepare for the attack. You can use a section of the party gauge to warn another party member and use one of their arts. If you aren't controlling Shulk and he is in your party, then you will primarily want to go to Shulk. However you could have another character heal, or raise their agility, or topple the opponent, and really anything to stop the vision.

As a piece of advice as well. To fill up the party gauge quickly, you need to fulfill a requirement of arts. For example, Back Slash, and Slit Edge raises the party gauge a ton if you hit the enemy in the back and the side, respectively.

Playing this game in the mindset of an MMO is really setting yourself up for failure. Trust me, I've been through this too. I totally see the connection, but you will need to treat Xenoblade as an entirely new beast. Else-wise, you will be stuck in battles, not thinking you are doing anything wrong, yet dying again and again.
There is a ton more depth that I haven't explored yet. Buffs, debuffs, spikes, auras, gems. But we can cross those roads later.

As another tip of advice. Eventually you will get a party member named Sharla. Sharla is a pretty terrible party member, and will even teach you bad habits, slow down battles, and make fights infinitely harder than they need to be. At the earliest opportunity, I recommend that you replace Sharla with another party member. Sharla is actually the reason why there is no dedicated healer class in Xenoblade X, so yeah.

Also, don't go out of your way to do all of the side quests right away. Pick up them, but just play through the story and explore normally. You will get a lot of side quests done just by playing. Doing exclusively side quests will burn you out on the game, and it will also make you horribly over leveled. So yeah. Pick up and do some side quests, but don't do all of them.

Buffs, debuffs, skiles, bleeds etc etc are standard MMO fare. I use them a lot so far. So far I quite like the backstab, sidestab to lower their physical defence and the forward arc attack to allow my partner to topple them. That part of Xenoblade is not that hard to understand. And gems are pretty standard MMO fare too. I am using some at the moment. A shame I can't combine gems in the game, but that's cool, It's not like I need even better ones at the moment.

Tension is the thing that seems to set Xenoblade apart. I totally get what your saying about it and how it can be used. I'm learning from you. I have done a few combo attacks. Not many though. And thanks for explaining how that applies to the party meter. Tension is the thing I need to play with more in game and see how I can use it in my favour. And yes forfilling the requirements of arts as you say is needed for the party meter but also for the bonus effect of more damage or a enemy debuff. So I'll take your advice there too.

Xenoblade is different to an MMO though as there's no real tank/healer/dps roles. Everyone is a tank and a dps. I do keep track of who has aggro so I can fight more efficiently. Sometimes I let them have it or sometimes I take it back and give the hurt player a quick Shulk heal. I don't play this like I would an MMO even though there are some similarities there.

Will take your advice about Sharla. :)

I like doing side quests and I'll try not to overlevel myself on them :) Apart from the timed quests which I'll do right away for obvious reasons.

Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom