• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Sutittaja

Freezing chill
Does anyone know where to find Blind Vespers? No Wikia lists their location and I'm trying to fill up my Enemy Index as much as possible before challenging the final boss.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I finally decided to play this and am a few hours in but am having trouble getting invested into it. The cut scenes are too long and uninteresting. The characters feel like generic anime characters and quite flat. The combat is probably the best part of it but I imagine it's going to get repetitive if this game is as long as people say it is. The world is huge but feels empty. There's little to do besides running around, collecting blue crystals and picking fights with monsters. The music is very hit and miss as well.

There are patches of light here and there but right now it seems like it's going to be a big grind to get through it. Do you guys think it's worth sticking around to play or should I let go of this one?
Yes, the story gets better as it goes on. The whole "grand tour of NLA" is there to familiarize you to the central hub before cutting you loose. Due to the episodic nature of the story, you're pretty much free to go explore as much as you want until starting the next chapter. However, arguably the biggest draw-in is how much character customization is involved to bring out your avatar's full potential; the class system was masterfully crafted to suit anyone's tastes. Experiment with a few of the arts and skills before disregarding the combat completely, and pay close attention to augments later on down the road.

I personally agree and disagree that Mira is huge but feels empty. I agree that modern openworld games suffer from the same feeling of emptiness because much of the world is just there for visual appeal instead of substance. Nonetheless, I disagree that Mira is utterly empty because there are secrets around just about every corner.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Yes, the story gets better as it goes on. The whole "grand tour of NLA" is there to familiarize you to the central hub before cutting you loose. Due to the episodic nature of the story, you're pretty much free to go explore as much as you want until starting the next chapter. However, arguably the biggest draw-in is how much character customization is involved to bring out your avatar's full potential; the class system was masterfully crafted to suit anyone's tastes. Experiment with a few of the arts and skills before disregarding the combat completely, and pay close attention to augments later on down the road.

The Class concept was really well done, I agree. You can tell that they're all different, because not every Class is for me. I've tried them all, and I have to say there were some that I gave up after just a few fights.

I personally agree and disagree that Mira is huge but feels empty. I agree that modern openworld games suffer from the same feeling of emptiness because much of the world is just there for visual appeal instead of substance. Nonetheless, I disagree that Mira is utterly empty because there are secrets around just about every corner.

Mmm. Mira is still the most beautiful video game world ever created. I don't think that will change any time soon for me, but I think it's artificial. It doesn't feel alive, if you get what I mean? The animals just walk around and do nothing. For example, the Millosaurs just go from one drinking spot to a second one, in a pattern, forever. Grex packs don't hunt Suids or Ovids. They walk right by them. And Suids and Ovids don't flee from Grexes.

My biggest complaint about the game was and always will be that the game is too big. They could have made it a little bit smaller, and made it feel more alive, instead of having such a huge place that really doesn't ever feel real.

That aside, I decided to play this game again. It had been months since I played—I had gotten stuck in the last mission of the game, and I put the game down for about 9 months. Well, I'm back, and I've decided to take a new approach. I'm going to be really really taking my time with the game, really learning to optimize my stats and equipment, exploring everything, and really just enjoying the game.

I know the game's flaws now, so I won't be as frustrated this time around. I know the gimmicks the devs will throw at me, and I can just take them in stride.

So far I'm really enjoying my second attempt at the game. I'm at Level 11, and I have to say, the wildlife has really humbled me. I left off at a really high level (I don't remember, but I think it was 60+) and going from that to being scared of everything was a lot of fun.

The Class concept was really well done, I agree. You can tell that they're all different, because not every Class is for me. I've tried them all, and I have to say there were some that I gave up after just a few fights.
What annoyed me was that all attacks are locked to specific weapons (when on foot, I never got a skell). There is no way to unlock attacks for use with every weapon. Once you've maxed out all tge classes progressions then maybe they could have allowed attacks to be used with any wespon, not still be always locked to the one weapon type that can use each.

Mmm. Mira is still the most beautiful video game world ever created. I don't think that will change any time soon for me, but I think it's artificial. It doesn't feel alive, if you get what I mean? The animals just walk around and do nothing. For example, the Millosaurs just go from one drinking spot to a second one, in a pattern, forever. Grex packs don't hunt Suids or Ovids. They walk right by them. And Suids and Ovids don't flee from Grexes.
It feels real enough. The world is fine. What is annoying is New LA has a whole commercial district and how much can you buy there? Nothing. You buy everything in the Admin discrict. Like what the ****? Can't even go shopping in the shopping district.

Also earning cash and minerals in the game is time based. You can't really grind it. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but it's certainly one not often used.

So far I'm really enjoying my second attempt at the game. I'm at Level 11, and I have to say, the wildlife has really humbled me. I left off at a really high level (I don't remember, but I think it was 60+) and going from that to being scared of everything was a lot of fun.
I personally am waiting for the January 13 Switch event. To find out if the XCX remake is a thing or not. If it is, I'll be waiting for that to play XCX again.

[QUOTE="EMIYA Shirou, post: 1062239, member: 11349"Due to the episodic nature of the story, you're pretty much free to go explore as much as you want until starting the next chapter. [/QUOTE]
Not so. Early on you're stuck to the first continent. The game tells you though when you can venture further though. Secondly you need a flying skell of some very crafty mountain climbing skills to visit most of the planet. Though there is a few areas that you need the flying skell to visit.

There was only one area that required a certain level to get into. That was deep inside the ruined castle in Cauldros Two fat auto cannons wrek you unless you're a decent enough level to take the hits while running past or destroying them. About level 45 is enough to destroy them (I think). Also in Cauldros there are a couple of caves blocked off with shields. I never progressed enough into the game to have the shield barriers removed so I could travel further into those caves.

Compared to most games these the only tiny restrictions. For the most part the game is indeed quite open. Even on foot. I believe I completed 3 out of the 5 continents collectapedia entirely on foot (I never got a skell).

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
What annoyed me was that all attacks are locked to specific weapons (when on foot, I never got a skell). There is no way to unlock attacks for use with every weapon. Once you've maxed out all tge classes progressions then maybe they could have allowed attacks to be used with any wespon, not still be always locked to the one weapon type that can use each.

Yeah, I think that would have been a good idea. I know there are some classes that let you mix-and-match different weapons, though. Like even though a class might say Assault Rifles and Knives, you can actually do Dual Swords. I don't remember the exact combinations, but it's there.

It feels real enough. The world is fine. What is annoying is New LA has a whole commercial district and how much can you buy there? Nothing. You buy everything in the Admin discrict. Like what the ****? Can't even go shopping in the shopping district.

I won't even get into NLA. It's a horror show. It has no redeeming features. But the overworld does, and I feel they missed out on some opportunities.

Also earning cash and minerals in the game is time based. You can't really grind it. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but it's certainly one not often used.

Yeah, that did seem weird at first, but I didn't mind it. After a while, I had more money than I knew what to do with. Same with Miranium. I'm currently at Level 12, and both the starting-AMs are already half-way to 3rd Tier.

I personally am waiting for the January 13 Switch event. To find out if the XCX remake is a thing or not. If it is, I'll be waiting for that to play XCX again.

I won't be buying the game again. I already own it. I refuse to buy the game again.

Compared to most games these the only tiny restrictions. For the most part the game is indeed quite open. Even on foot. I believe I completed 3 out of the 5 continents collectapedia entirely on foot (I never got a skell).

Skells made the game, man. It's impressive you got so far without getting a Skell, but man, Skells are incredibly fun. But now that I'm playing from the beginning, being on foot is a lot of fun too.

But like I said, I'm taking my time with this run; I'm in no rush to get a Skell. In fact, I haven't even done the first mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom