• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox Games

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
I just recently got a Xbox,NOT a 360(I know I know), and I wanted to know of good non-fps games(I don't have anything against them but not them please) and also not games that cost a lot and where can I get them?

-hylianordonlink-:)

Hanyou

didn't build that
hylianordonlink, you're in luck. The Xbox has two of the best games of its generation, and given what an Xbox must cost now, they really are worth the asking price.

Panzer Dragoon Orta:

[video=youtube;hZIDQDt_lik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIDQDt_lik[/video]

Featuring 10 wildly creative, difficult levels of varying environments, it is easily one of the best corridor shooters ever made. If you've ever played a Starfox game that wasn't Adventures, you should feel right at home, but in my opinion it's graced with far better design, and a far more haunting soundtrack and story, than even my favorite Starfox game, Starfox 64.

I should warn you that it is very hard. Even Easy difficulty is probably only slightly easier than normal difficulty in most games, and I've never been able to finish it on normal difficulty (that said, I'm not a very good gamer). But it is also a rewarding experience that will consistently amaze you if you give it a chance. It forces you to play creatively in all the best ways possible. While it is as hardcore as games can get, you don't have to be a "hardcore" gamer to enjoy it. As a bonus, it comes with lots of lore about the intriguing world and even the original Saturn release of Panzer Dragoon packed-in. The original Panzer Dragoon is no Starfox, but it is still very good, so getting it free is a nice bonus.

I highly recommend this game.

Shenmue II:

[video=youtube;h0Izd2f6k2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Izd2f6k2I[/video]
(Trailer is probably for the Dreamcast version)

Dreamcast owners were robbed of this title in the early 2000s, but the Xbox version more than suffices, with slightly touched-up graphics and top-notch presentation. While its graphics may not be as technically impressive as many Xbox games, the visual style is loaded with color, and the environments range from alive and richly populated to creepy. It's always imaginative. The packed-in Shenmue Digest (not recommended) and Shenmue: The Movie (more recommend) fill you in on the backstory, even though it's better to play the original if you have a Dreamcast.

Disclaimer: this game has absolutely terrible English voice acting. Since it's story-driven, that's a problem. I can't make any excuses for that, except to say that the gameplay, presentation, and story are otherwise so good that you can forget how bad the voice acting is. Give it a chance, play it through, and you'll be more than satisfied with this unique, lengthy world, constructed with more detail than you'd find in most games.

As for price, I can't help you much. Both of these games were mass-produced and undersold; they shouldn't cost much. They'd be difficult to find in most game stores, though depending on where you live, there may be some used game shops around. Again, they're both good enough that I highly recommend you take the time to buy them. Your best bet is probably ebay (link)or Amazon (link).

Last edited:

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
hylianordonlink, you're in luck. The Xbox has two of the best games of its generation, and given what an Xbox must cost now, they really are worth the asking price.

Panzer Dragoon Orta:

[video=youtube;hZIDQDt_lik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIDQDt_lik[/video]

Featuring 10 wildly creative, difficult levels of varying environments, it is easily one of the best corridor shooters ever made. If you've ever played a Starfox game that wasn't Adventures, you should feel right at home, but in my opinion it's graced with far better design, and a far more haunting soundtrack and story, than even my favorite Starfox game, Starfox 64.

I should warn you that it is very hard. Even Easy difficulty is probably only slightly easier than normal difficulty in most games, and I've never been able to finish it on normal difficulty (that said, I'm not a very good gamer). But it is also a rewarding experience that will consistently amaze you if you give it a chance. It forces you to play creatively in all the best ways possible. While it is as hardcore as games can get, you don't have to be a "hardcore" gamer to enjoy it. As a bonus, it comes with lots of lore about the intriguing world and even the original Saturn release of Panzer Dragoon packed-in. The original Panzer Dragoon is no Starfox, but it is still very good, so getting it free is a nice bonus.

I highly recommend this game.

Shenmue II:

[video=youtube;h0Izd2f6k2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Izd2f6k2I[/video]
(Trailer is probably for the Dreamcast version)

Dreamcast owners were robbed of this title in the early 2000s, but the Xbox version more than suffices, with slightly touched-up graphics and top-notch presentation. While its graphics may not be as technically impressive as many Xbox games, the visual style is loaded with color, and the environments range from alive and richly populated to creepy. It's always imaginative. The packed-in Shenmue Digest (not recommended) and Shenmue: The Movie (more recommend) fill you in on the backstory, even though it's better to play the original if you have a Dreamcast.

Disclaimer: this game has absolutely terrible English voice acting. Since it's story-driven, that's a problem. I can't make any excuses for that, except to say that the gameplay, presentation, and story are otherwise so good that you can forget how bad the voice acting is. Give it a chance, play it through, and you'll be more than satisfied with this unique, lengthy world, constructed with more detail than you'd find in most games.

As for price, I can't help you much. Both of these games were mass-produced and undersold; they shouldn't cost much. They'd be difficult to find in most game stores, though depending on where you live, there may be some used game shops around. Again, they're both good enough that I highly recommend you take the time to buy them. Your best bet is probably ebay (link)or Amazon (link).

Great cuz I got the Xbox for $18 at a yard sale!!!! And thanks!!!

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Nice find, if you're into 3d fighting games, give Dead or Alive Ultimate a shot. It's a great fighter and the graphics were way ahead of its time. Also you could try Ninja Gaiden for an insane challenge. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was probably the greatest RPG you could get on that system as well. It's way better than Skyrim, which is saying a lot. And finally you could also try Fable: The Lost Chapters, another great action RPG. Those were some of the games I used to play all the time.

The Xbox definitely had some very strong games and I have three suggestions for you, hylianordonlink.

The first is Burnout 3: Takedown (link to youtube video, note the PS2 version is shown). If you're a realistic car enthusiast you might want to consider otherwise but if you're in search of what many consider the single greatest racing game ever created you are in luck. The premise of the Burnout franchise is simple: "takedown" your opponents through any means possible whether that means tailigating them or ramming their vehicle against a wall. The more takedowns you score, the more your boost meter fills. Also included is a crash mode wherein you attempt to wreak the highest grossing damage possible.

Next I definitely suggest Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. This can be a rather alienating experience but if you're a fan of Lucas's sage or the newer The Old Republic you should feel right at home here. Player choice is key as your decision to become either a Jedi or Sith alters key plot elements.

And last but certainly not least on this list of suggestions is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. It's arguably a more primitive version of the mechanics that permeate Assassin's Creed today but the gameplay still holds up and the story is marvelous. With our current crises in the Middle East this game takes on an even deeper significance.

Burnout and Prince of Persia cost pennies used and only around $20 new (U.S. dollar estimate according to Amazon). Knights of the Old Republic may be harder to obtain but some copies are also available for an affordable price.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Alit makes a great point, I forgot about Knights of The Old Republic. There's two of them but the first is definitely the better, especially if you're a star wars fan.

Dan

Get the street fighter anniversary collection if you like fighters :D Includes street fighter 2 and 3.
Grand theft auto games are good for the xbox too since you can enable your own custom radio station.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
My vote's for Fable: Lost Chapters! (if you can't find it, then the regular Fable is good, too. Lost Chapters is merely a slightly extended version of the original game) It's my favorite non-Zelda game!

[video=youtube;gL7fYGd6BfU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7fYGd6BfU[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom