• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like In Game Help in Skyward Sword?

Would you like in game help?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't want anything that does it for you, but something like navi is just fine. So it can appeal to both casual and hard-core gamers. Its good for nintendo to have help for both kinds of gamers. Why? like this: there are a lot of casual gamers, AND there are a lot of hard core gamers, you could make a lot of money out of one side of the gaming world, OR you can make a lot MORE money out of BOTH sides of the gaming world. As long as I don't have to use it, then its fine with me. I just think its smart to have help.

Kybyrian

I wouldn't want any help for myself, personally, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea for other gamers. They could make it optional, and that would be perfectly fine with me. Nintendo wants to reach a lot of audiences, so pumping up the difficulty while allowing optional help would be good for doing just that.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I like a little bit of help for collection quests. For example I think the fortune teller in TP was perfect for heart pieces. It told you which ones you were missing and where to get them, but not how. However, I should be allowed to figure out the main quest for myself with minimal guidance from the companion.

To answer the question directly, no I would not like that kind of help for my personal playing. I played through all of Donkey Kong Country Returns without activating the Super Guide once, and will likely play through Skyward Sword the same way regardless of it having one or not.

I am however driven crazy by the ratio of votes, because while one might not use it themselves, there is absolutely not logical or intelligent argument against the implementation of a Super Guide for those that do want it.

Personally, I don't like this kind of help because it keeps a gamer from fully enjoying the game. Also, I think that if you can't beat a part of a game, the only way you will get better at it is if you work hard and learn from your failures.
I can understand if you feel that way about playing through it yourself, but why would you want to restrict others from playing through the game another way? Plenty of people do not play games for any kind of challenge, but really for the experience. These gamers are utterly uninterested in getting better, they just want to see the game. Super Guides allow them to play that way while still allowing the game to be designed hard so anyone else can challenge themselves.

I'm sorry but their called guidebooks but something like Navi(minus the annoying Hey,Listen,Watch out) that told about the enemies would be great.
In my experience, if they're called anything they're called Super Guides, actually. Or at least that's what it was called in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Do they call it something else in other games?

In my experience, if they're called anything they're called Super Guides, actually. Or at least that's what it was called in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Do they call it something else in other games?
Official name is the Super Guide. It's only been used in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

There's no problem with an optional guide system in a game.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Official name is the Super Guide. It's only been used in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

There's no problem with an optional guide system in a game.

Yeah I agree. Just because there's hardcore gamers who don't want to use it don't mean that the others should pay for it. I personally won't use it as I'm a hardcore gamer myself. I haven't used it once in any of those games and don't plan to with Skyward Sword.

No thanks, having in-game help in adventure/puzzle-solving games isn't nearly as satisfying as figuring it out and doing it yourself. I hate having to use a guide, and the only time I EVER use a guide is when I am absolutely positively stuck with no hope of progressing.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Optional, preferrably. But Nintendo has to cater for the casuals. The Wii has one of the highest install bases for any home console in basically, history (bar the PS2, but who cares about that). This means that they'll potentially be working for a much larger audience and hence may cater to the casuals and include some variation of a super guide, or advanced hint system, because that's the industry trend now-a-days, at least for Nintendo anyways. Conversely, I could be completely wrong, in which case, forget I said anything.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
For me it kind of depends on what exactly the helper would do. If it was another companion like Navi, Midna, Ezlo etc, then I think it would be fine as it adds to the plot and they can be useful sometimes. But if they did more than enough for you it would annoy me, I suppose adding additional help options might help younger gamers but it should be optional. I think hints are enough, not much more. I suppose Midna helps you jump up certain things but that's still okay. I think Link needs a companion, really. And it helps with the story like I said. But it depends on how much they help him, for SS it is hard to say...each companion from the games I have played have had varied help levels. Midna helps quite a lot...well she tells Link where to go, what to do sometimes and helps with the jumping. Navi states the obvious quite a lot, but some of her speeches were helpful...the owl (whose name I cannot spell) was kind of just irritating but then again pointed Link in the right direction...Ciela was quite useful for advice and Ezlo kind of just yells at Link but he helped too. I think it makes a game harder without a helper, so it depends on how hard Nintendo really want Skyward Sword to be.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
What about a hint system that works on feedback and tracks how often you ask for help. Like if you ask for hints a certain amount of times, it will help you often. But if you don't ask for help, it'll leave you alone or only offer very cryptic hints. It'll cater to all audiences, me thinks.

OcarinaSword

Never Give up
For me it would be a game that does not give much help. The games i like are challenging games and more inporanly games that are fun! But like i said i would not like much help in skywards sword.

Bunny Hood

Everyone's Favorite Mask
they should make a new fairy of maybe a new kind of... skyward creature??

I think the in game help is a brilliant idea, but not for the Zelda series. Personally, I think if the games got so linear you had Zelda running around doing the dungeon while you watched, the series popularity would plummet. I would rather keep to the exploration and discovery type things. You know that feeling when your in the water temple and FINALLY find that one blasted small key? I'd rather not lose that feeling of triumph.

F

flamediety324

Skyward Sword is once again a whole new story for the Legend of Zelda and may introduce new Zelda players. These new players may not understand some parts and will need help. So what to do? Obviously they would go to a guide. But guides sometimes give away too much. An in-game tip will help and yet still let them figure the puzzle themselves. Of course, long-time Zelda players will not like getting tips and would like to use their brains. So there should be a toggle switch for in-game tips. This way, new gamers can get a help and regular players can have it their way.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
To be honest, I don't see why they couldn't just make the game as hard as people want it to be while implementing an optional help feature so that the casual/inexperienced crowd doesn't get alienated.

They did it spectacularly in New Super Mario Bros and Galaxy 2, so it'd be absolutely insane if they didn't do the same for Zelda.

In other words, yes I want a Super Guide, but not for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom