• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would Link Be an Idealist or a Cynic?

Let's consider all of the things he goes through in each incarnation.

From having his potential girlfriend be kidnapped by a tornado, from his little sister getting kidnapped by a giant bird, and even his uncle dying before his eyes. His adventures would take him to the bottom of the ocean, to the very heavens themselves and even through time, dealing with monsters, death of friends and needing to slay countless beasts, some once as human as he was, to live.

That kind of stuff could take a tole on any person, but this kind of experience also helps shape who we become in the end.

Do you think that by the end of his adventures Link would become an idealist, not giving up his love of adventures, his friendship and willpower to stop evil and always stand up when someone needs help, or do you think he would become a cynic, becoming depressed and expecting things to go wrong and grow bitter with each fight he is in, upset that it has to be him to save the day?

Garo

Boy Wonder
It depends, I think, on which adventure. For example:

I think the Twilight Princess Link is liable to be rather cynical, because while his quest turns out roughly favorably, there is a clear - however slight - romantic relationship between Link and Midna, and her sudden departure, permanently, is going to leave a mark. That, and throughout his quest he only interacts with a select group of people - one of whom was a spoiled brat, another of whom was turned into gold due to excessive greed... you get the idea.

The Majora's Mask Link, however, is far more likely to be idealist. Majora's Mask is undeniably a dark game but only because the player makes it so - as Axle pointed out, the story itself does not lend itself to darkness because Link helps all these people and is helped in return. That sort of interaction, which happens repeatedly throughout the game, will give a person a much brighter outlook. Add that to the idea that Link has essentially beaten the apocalypse, and you've got a bright little hero.

I think this difference traces down to thematic decisions. Twilight Princess is very much about a world of light being overcome by darkness. Majora's Mask is the reverse, about light coming to a dark world. It is fitting, then, that the Twilight Princess Link should emerge with a darker outlook and the Majora's Mask Link with a brighter one.

totally agree on majoras mask link coming out as a idealist, and i guess he kind of was a little cynical after oot was done(beginnig of mm) where he was looking for hes friend and he had no longer any purpose in life.

Groose

Groosenator
Yea, all the different Links are going to have different endings. GaroXicon already gave two great examples.
The Link from Link's Awakening could've gone cynical after realizing it was all a dream. How is he supposed to know what is real or not after an event like that?

Personally I think Link in all games would have to be an idealist to overcome the obstacles and challenges he does in every game. If he was that much of a cynic he probably wouldn't bother against such usually overwhelming odds.

He is whatever you want him to be. That's the beuty of Zelda, isn't it? As you play, you put yourself in his shoes.

In terms of gameplay, then yes. However, this is a topic where you step out of those shoes, look at the character and judge whether you'd find idealism or cynicism in the character.

I think Link would be an idealist. I mean, he always just jumps up to go on adventures, obviously he has some kind of hope in the world, right?
And he just doesn't seem like the cynical type. Mostly he just seems like that awesome leader that we all depend on...those people aren't ever really cynics...

L

Lord of Storms

Well I mean, he's not cynic in the sense that he's insane or does it for vengeance. No, Link is very much an idealist in my opinion. He dreams of a better land that will benefit everyone and nothing stops him, not even sleep, hunger, fatigue, sickness, death, lava, a man boar named Ganon, or friend zoned by Zelda. I think he's just a very selfless idealist. :)

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Link to me would be more of an idealist because he doesn't really care about much. He just goes with it and of course he's not cyncal to anyone.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I think an idealist is more probable for most of the Links, but I think what we can agree is that Link at the very least courageous beyond anything I've ever seen.

Depends on which Link. I'm sure after MM, Link became rather cynical, whereas SS Link likely became more of an idealist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom