• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

As some of us know, February 29 marks the release date of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It's essentially a beta at heart but if you wonder why it's not called that, check out this guy's rant. It's sure to give you a good laugh or two.

images

Anyhow, personally, Windows 8 appears to have a steeper learning curve than the other past operating systems preceding it in line. That, however, is clearly forgotten with the new slick look and Metro style interface. Personally, I love what Microsoft is doing with their programs, which taking a cue from Apple, they now refer to as apps, and allowing them to (by default) cover the full screen. This is similar to what Nintendo is trying to accomplish with the Wii U-provide a cleaner interface for users. Also, it's very pleasing to hear that Windows 8 will work just as well with touch or mouse and keyboard. Personally, everything Microsoft has been doing for the past few years has led up to this point-heck, even the current look of XBOX Live foreshadows Windows 8.

[video=youtube;Wd1wvZvarFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1wvZvarFM&feature=player_embedded[/video]​

What are your thoughts on Windows 8? Do you plan on trying out the new operating system before general release later this year? What changes do you like? Dislike? If you're planning on buying Windows 8, will you buy it at or near launch or hold out? If you abstain, will you ever buy the operating system? If so, when?

Personally, Windows 8 is a link to the future. :)

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Nah, I won't try it out and heck I probably won't even upgrade when it comes out. I'm using Windows 7 right now, and I'm still trying to get used to it. But my favorite is still Windows XP. To me, it's more user-friendly and I understand where to find anything and everything I need. But I admit though, Windows 8 does look pretty cool, I just won't be one of the first to get it.

Nah, I won't try it out and heck I probably won't even upgrade when it comes out. I'm using Windows 7 right now, and I'm still trying to get used to it. But my favorite is still Windows XP. To me, it's more user-friendly and I understand where to find anything and everything I need. But I admit though, Windows 8 does look pretty cool, I just won't be one of the first to get it.

I understand Windows XP was very good for its day but people simply need to upgrade. Vista may have been a misstep in terms of stability but 7 corrects all of those problems. Windows has historically always been a great operating system and there is no reason to approach a newer version with cynicism. Once you get used to Windows 7, you'll realize that the platform has always at heart been one of easing use. Soon Windows will have the accessibility of Mac OS and the superior technological power and capabilities it's historically boasted.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I understand Windows XP was very good for its day but people simply need to upgrade. Vista may have been a misstep in terms of stability but 7 corrects all of those problems. Windows has historically always been a great operating system and there is no reason to approach a newer version with cynicism. Once you get used to Windows 7, you'll realize that the platform has always at heart been one of easing use. Soon Windows will have the accessibility of Mac OS and the superior technological power and capabilities it's historically boasted.

Oh, I completely understand that. Everything does need to be upgraded and I don't have a problem with that. I'm just a simple person with simple, basic needs. I don't play any computer games or use Photoshop or Paint or anything of that stuff. I just use my computer for writing papers, downloading music, saving pictures and browsing the internet. The only thing I really need is space and I have plenty of that for what I use. And I know most people use their computers for more than that, but I simply just use the basics. But who knows, maybe in time I'll want a suped-up super computer with that works. :)

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Personally, I don't like it. I mean, it looks like it's made for a tablet, rather then for both. Also, I don't like this new interface, not for windows. I mean, it looks off. I personally don't like how there isn't a back round in the start menu, so it's less customization. Also, I don't like how there has to be an app for everything, It looks odd to me. it looks like windows phone on a bigger screen. It's, very odd. Also, the desktop doesn't look like a desktop Where are all the shortcuts? Oh, its an app now. I couldn't do it. I would have to go from a Chrome App straight to a desktop, then to word. Not mentioning the start menu. It takes longer just to get to something simple! Where as in windows 7, its one click away. To me personally, it will be like vista. A flop. But then they'll fix it with something else. When they fix it, I'll get it. But right now, it looks horrible to me. I'm not trying to stick with the old, cause i generally prefer updates, but this I can't do. Not now, maybe not even in the future. we'll just have to wait and see.

Austin

Austin
Windows 8 is the Vista/ME of this current time period. Microsoft seems to have a trend where they'll release one passable OS, and then another intolerable one. Metro is a goddamn mess, and is clearly not designed for desktop computers. I really don't appreciate Microsoft's subtle hints that I should start using a tablet or something. I don't plan on upgrading from 7.

Also it's beyond stupid to buy an operating system within its first months of distribution.

Windows 8 is the Vista/ME of this current time period. Microsoft seems to have a trend where they'll release one passable OS, and then another intolerable one. Metro is a goddamn mess, and is clearly not designed for desktop computers. I really don't appreciate Microsoft's subtle hints that I should start using a tablet or something. I don't plan on upgrading from 7.

Also it's beyond stupid to buy an operating system within its first months of distribution.

Personally, Windows 8 is built to cater to both traditional PC and tablet users and therefore will include the best of both worlds.

Also, at the very least, Metro will provide users with a cleaner interface. I don't see how this has anything to do with Microsoft forcing a tablet mindset on its consumers.

If anything, Windows 8 goes hand-in-hand with the most recent rendition of XBOX Live.

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
I got about halfway through that video and couldn't watch anymore. =\ It reminds me of the E3 Xbox shows minus sitting through someone playing a first person shooter with Kinect.

This is all fine and dandy if you have a tablet... I guess? But I sure as heck hope there is a mode to make it look more like a conventional windows desktop, or I'll be happy to keep on using 7.

Austin

Austin
Personally, Windows 8 is built to cater to both traditional PC and tablet users and therefore will include the best of both worlds.

Also, at the very least, Metro will provide users with a cleaner interface. I don't see how this has anything to do with Microsoft forcing a tablet mindset on its consumers.
The interface is quite clearly designed for tablet users. And I don't care what they're saying it will cater to, it quite obviously isnt.

If anything, Windows 8 goes hand-in-hand with the most recent rendition of XBOX Live.
I hate the new xbox live. It's much more difficult to navigate than the previous interface and there are advertisements. There are advertisements in my console's main interface. The console I am playing in my home that I have paid for. I have also payed for the game I'm playing and paying for the online service. And they give me ads. This is why I'll likely be purchasing whatever Sony is offering up next generation, as all the series I care about are crossplatform. But now I'm getting off topic.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
The interface is quite clearly designed for tablet users. And I don't care what they're saying it will cater to, it quite obviously isnt.

I hate the new xbox live. It's much more difficult to navigate than the previous interface and there are advertisements. There are advertisements in my console's main interface. The console I am playing in my home that I have paid for. I have also payed for the game I'm playing and paying for the online service. And they give me ads. This is why I'll likely be purchasing whatever Sony is offering up next generation, as all the series I care about are crossplatform. But now I'm getting off topic.

I agree with you with the upmost support

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom