• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Wings?

In ww zora evolve into rito, right? But wouldn't it be better to swim if the world is a giant ocean? Flying is cool, but swimming would be more useful

amaterasu

Writer
Well, the Zora in Hyrule are freshwater Zora. I belive only the MM Zora are Saltwater. And I belive it's still theory that the Zora evolved into the Rito. Though I still think that they do.

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I think Amaterasu is right about the whole thing. I think it is also a theory that Zoras become Rito it can be the only thing that makes sense to me.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Aonuma confirmed that the Zora become the Rito. The theories involve whether they evolved to adapt or the goddesses intervened. I support the latter. It's a common misconception that they went straight from amphibian to having wings. They actually became more humanoid at first with no wings, then Valoo gave them wings. In that sense, evolution makes even less sense. The reason they aren't amphibious is so they don't have access to Hyrule as the theory goes. The wings are just an added bonus.

skybird11

state alchemist
theres no theory as to IF the zoras evolved into rito. the kokiri evolved into koroks and the previous sage of the wind temple was a kokiri. the previous sage of the earth temple was a zora and now medli, the rito desendant, is the new sage. but ya idk y the zoras evolved. it was a paradice for them.

theres no theory as to IF the zoras evolved into rito. the kokiri evolved into koroks and the previous sage of the wind temple was a kokiri. the previous sage of the earth temple was a zora and now medli, the rito desendant, is the new sage. but ya idk y the zoras evolved. it was a paradice for them.

As Locke explained, the Goddesses removed their ability to swim to prevent them from accessing Hyrule.

amaterasu

Writer
actually, i think skybird11's on to somthing. Kokiri were obviously turned into the Koroks and it'd make logical sense for the Zora to turn into the Rito.

WAIT. WHAT IF KAMAR (or whatever his name is, cuz i forgot) IS MIDO

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Well, the Zora in Hyrule are freshwater Zora.
Agreed. An ocean is salt water, and it would burn the skin of the freshwater Zoras, killing them off. The Goddesses wanted to save this race.
But then why can the Fishmen still swim but not the Zoras? I don't see why the goddesses would stop the Zoras but not them. :P
The fishmen are saltwater creatures, suited for the saktwater environment.
WAIT. WHAT IF KAMAR (or whatever his name is, cuz i forgot) IS MIDO
It would be funny, but nearly impossible without any strong magic, which the Kokiri pretty much lost after OoT.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This has been brought up many times before. Just because there's a bunch of water doesn't mean the Zoras would thrive. Keep in mind they're not just an aquatic race. They also live on the land. They were on Dragon Roost Island, an area that would have dried their skin out, and they can't live in the water all the time, so... That being the crisis, the gods (there's no other way this could have happened with the time span in-between the flood and the events in the game) caused them to evolve into bird-people instead of fish-people and gave them Valoo, who's scales gives them their wings. Many people bring up the "fresh/salt water" thing, and that may be a factor, but it also may not be.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
They travelled to a land far away, a land that will eventually become New Hyrule in Spirit Tracks. Three of them are travelling salesmen, though, and appear in Wind Waker.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Well since the Gorons most likely couldn't thrive on the ocean either, I suspect they fled to find new land. This is indicated by their appearance in both PH and ST, dwelling near volcanoes.

I don't think that the Zora's evolution to rito has anything to do with salt/fresh water to do, because the great sea is only rain water, and probably not very salt yet, I rather believe that because of the absence of Jabu Jabu, the Zora set of to find a new deity, and found valoo on dragon roost, this may even have happened before the great flood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom