• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Not Ganondorf?

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
I've never felt that Ganon/dorf was overused, he is my favorite villian in all of gaming. Also i'm pretty sure they are the same person, I like to think of Ganon as a type of parisite that has chosen Ganondorf as its Gerudo host (being a male gerudo and bestoed with the triforce of power.) They may be two different forms of the same person, but you have got to wonder who is really in control?

On to the question of Why Not Gannondorf, (i assume you are asking why shouldn't Ganondorf be the main villian in Skyward Sword.) the way I commonly explain this to people is, Skyward Sword is supposed to take place years before the events of Ocarina of Time. In Ocarina of Time we witness Ganondorf's initial rise to power therefore he can not be the main villian in Skyward Sword.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I'm not really for this or against it (I think it would be cool if Ganon/dorf was the "main boss" but there was actually someone else controlling him). I'm just pointing out the fact that most people would agree that Ganon and Ganondorf are the same person. This is probably why they are complaining that he is overused (the two have been in a total of 8 games as pointed out by others), not just Ganondorf himself. That said, I hope this resolves some of the conflicts over Ganon/dorf being overused or not. Please nobody attack me, I'm not saying that Ganon and Ganondorf are or are not the same person, I'm just trying to end the "rudeness" (hopefully).

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
In my opinion, I don't see Ganondorf as a 'Overused Character'. I would honestly prefer him over Vaati, because I feel over the coarse of the games we've seem him, it feels like he has depth and personality, and it's fun to compare him to other Ganon(dorf)'s.

He is the main villain, to me he has to expiry date at all.

No offense to anyone, but I DON'T want to see Ganon/ Ganondorf in SS at all. I want it to be a new cool villain, that's why MM is my fav Zelda, there was a new villain.

Twilight Princess would have been a great game IMO if Nintendo had made Zant the main villain.

Also, Mario games aren't about the story/ timelines/ etc. they are about the gameplay, that's why Bowser is always the main villain.

The Paper Mario spin-off in the other hand has different villains (Count Bleck, Groudus)

I've never felt that Ganon/dorf was overused, he is my favorite villian in all of gaming. Also i'm pretty sure they are the same person, I like to think of Ganon as a type of parisite that has chosen Ganondorf as its Gerudo host (being a male gerudo and bestoed with the triforce of power.) They may be two different forms of the same person, but you have got to wonder who is really in control?
Is there any basis for that though? I've heard people come up with similar theories but from what I can see it's all fanfiction stuff because there's no basis for it rooted in in-game dialogue or developer quotes. There's literally nothing to lead us to a conclusion like that, so it's completely made-up. Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

This is probably why they are complaining that he is overused...
One thing: Do people really say that all the time? I don't hear it that often personally. I'm curious if this is just an assumption being made and isn't really a consensus of opinion.

Twilight Princess would have been a great game IMO if Nintendo had made Zant the main villain.
Agreed, although it's not because I had any issue with Ganondorf. To the contrary, I thought the Twilight Princess Ganondorf was one of the coolest out of any of the games. It was simply because the entire game was built on Zant and his character development. When it switched to Ganon is was really forced and obviously not intended during most of the game design process. Ganon was something thrown in later, and it shows and hurt the game. If Ganon is going to be used a lot of thought and effort needs to be put into it. He's not something you can put into the game at the last minute.

Darknut

time to panic
Agreed, although it's not because I had any issue with Ganondorf. To the contrary, I thought the Twilight Princess Ganondorf was one of the coolest out of any of the games. It was simply because the entire game was built on Zant and his character development. When it switched to Ganon is was really forced and obviously not intended during most of the game design process. Ganon was something thrown in later, and it shows and hurt the game. If Ganon is going to be used a lot of thought and effort needs to be put into it. He's not something you can put into the game at the last minute.

I couldn't agree more. Since I see Ganondorf as the most epic villain ever I think TP should have based most of the game on him if they were to put him in there, but I think the reason they put him in was to create a surprising twist in the plot and make a point where things either become much more simple or much more complicated.

Djinn

and Tonic
The only aspect of Ganon/Dorf that bothers me are the time when Nintendo will convince us that the game has a completely separate villain only to have Ganon make an appearance as the "Final Boss" at the end.

It happened to Onox, Veran, Vaati, and Zant. All great villains in their own right with plenty of characterization and buildup. Only to have the rug pulled out from under them and Ganon the real ultimate villain appears. I think fans beginning to like the new characters through the course of a game only to have them overshadowed and outclassed by a previously unannounced Ganon at the end fuels the want no Ganon in a sequel.

While I do not think that he is completely overused, I do believe that he has been used poorly over the years. Plus we have the fatigue of defeating him for the "last time" or "The dark lord is defeated, the Master Sword rests forever." He has been defeated for all time at least five times now, and for story purposes it is becoming very hard to explain just how he is back again and causing trouble. So much that I believe that fans do not want it to become cliche contrived. This works for the Super Mario series since it does not attempt to portray any sort of realism. It stays in a perpetual cartoon world so Bowser coming back and kidnapping the princess is never questioned.

Equally the Metroid series is having trouble explaining Ridley's reappearances as well. Cloning is the best fan explanation and it does work well with the setting.

J

jora

Its just that we have seen ganon and the league of Ganondorfs already we just want something fresh and new like majora itself or just a new villain altogether.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I'll admit that they could probably use him, even though TP was the last console game it was so many years ago that they probably already have the next design for Ganondorf and they're just waiting to use him. Maybe Bellum and Malladus were a filler of sorts until they could come up with this next version of Ganon. But I don't see why he wouldn't be the villain, this is Hyrule were in so It should be him.

There have been exceptions though and other villains have shown up before, and I would be really excited if it was a new bad guy. I think it gives them a fresh slate to work with, and from that we get all new possibilities. Like a boss with an all new personality.

Pen

The game is on!
We all know that the Master Sword will be in Skyward Sword, and that the Master sword is in fact the only sword that can kill Ganondorf!!
My theory is that Koume and Kotake will be the main villains in Skyward Sword. They should be much younger and they would perhaps (just like Ganondorf) also be weak to the Master Sword (which after all will appear in the game)!!
Wouldn't it be cool to have a young Twinrova as Skyward Sword's main villain!!
:triforce:

A

Avia Rayne

I think it makes perfect sense to have Ganon(dorf) in Skyward Sword. In the more recent games, with the exception of Twilight Princess, he's not there. If Skyward Sword moves away from the use of the Triforce (which I don't know about, considering the Master Sword is probably going to be in it), then the villain doesn't have to be Ganon. But since he is one with the divine power of the gods, I feel if they used the Triforce and then switched the main antagonist, it just wouldn't seem right.

Djinn

and Tonic
We all know that the Master Sword will be in Skyward Sword, and that the Master sword is in fact the only sword that can kill Ganondorf!!
My theory is that Koume and Kotake will be the main villains in Skyward Sword. They should be much younger and they would perhaps (just like Ganondorf) also be weak to the Master Sword (which after all will appear in the game)!!
Wouldn't it be cool to have a young Twinrova as Skyward Sword's main villain!!
:triforce:

It does not necessarily have to be Ganondorf as the villain for the Master Sword to be included. It is called the sword of Evil's Bane and is meant to be used in times of great turmoil for Hyrule. But we have only seen it used in games that include Ganon. But I assume the sages that forged it meant for it to be a major tool for the protection of Hyrule no matter who the cause behind the troubles might be.

In fact it was forged long before Ganondorf ever came to power. So it stands to reason that it very likely had a purpose in earlier years. Most likely not just a tool for the gateway to the Sacred realm as shown in OoT, or there might have been a previous threat to Hyrule that the sword was needed for. And I believe Skyward sword might be this event. But we will not know until the game comes out.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Why are people saying he can't be in it because he wasn't born yet? We know very little of this game and yet people assume it takes place centuries before Ocarina of Time. Nintendo most likely doesn't have a real timeline so anything can happen. Who knows Ganon's real age in Ocarina of Time? No one. It doesn't state his age and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think it states for how long he's been alive. Another thing, don't go according to Ocarina of Time, it can change, after all they are remaking it and could make it fit with the upcoming Skyward Sword.

As for people who say he's overused, just look at what Nintendo did with Bowser and what Sega did with Dr. Eggman. It's called being a main villain. I could understand why people want a break from him but that's why there's side games. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want a break from him because he hasn't been seen for four going into five years now. And two games have come out with different villains already. Ganon is such a good character/villain. Just think about it. Nintendo doesn't put Ganon in this one, and we don't see him in another three-five years. I rather they save Ganon for their big console Zelda titles and leave the other villains in handhelds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom