• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Why is Realism Bad?

HeroofScotland

The Anti-Social Kid
Realism isn't bad when it's done properly, I don't think video-game designers realize that there're more colours than brown and dead green in the real world though.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I always thought it's the other way around, a lot pf people play only realistic games but not "cartoony" or stylised ones
So you DON'T want a realistic Zelda, then what were we were arguing about again this whole time? :S

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there should be a highly super realistic Zelda game. Think Final Fantasy 13

Skunk

Floof
I think that realism in Zelda can work, but trying to be too realistic would just make the game feel like it was a Zelda texture pack in another game. Zelda is constantly changing with each game, and I think that if the art style doesn't change with it, and instead shoots to be more realistic(or cartoony. Thank you, Mid-2000's.), the part of the experience will be lost.

Realism has to balance with fun though.

Sure ultra realism is nice. But no one wants to see Link need get tired from lack of sleep and too much fighting or need food and drink periodically or have to piss 5 minutes after he drinks any potion. You need to limit the realism to a point where it's believable still in the Zelda world but also very fun for the player.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
How fun is it to have to do everything in a game? How much will it slow the gameplay down?

I think when this thread means realism, it means graphics. No one said anything about gameplay. Anyways, graphics do matter in a game or else you get a **** looking game like The new Rambo game.

I think when this thread means realism, it means graphics. No one said anything about gameplay. Anyways, graphics do matter in a game or else you get a **** looking game like The new Rambo game.

Yeah, I was going to bring this up earlier, but I said screw it: I kind of suspected that there would be some confusion that would lead to a semantics argument over what defines "realism," as it does not appear to have been made clear in the OP. Really sucks when a thread strays off of its original course and turns into an argument over what such and such means. Knowing this, I'm personally glad that I intentionally left my previous post kind of vague, and decided to cover a broad-ranging definition of realism in terms of graphics, gameplay, design, etc. Like, come on, how long does it take people to realize that they're arguing different definitions of the same term? (lol)

Salem

SICK
Yeah, I was going to bring this up earlier, but I said screw it: I kind of suspected that there would be some confusion that would lead to a semantics argument over what defines "realism," as it does not appear to have been made clear in the OP. Really sucks when a thread strays off of its original course and turns into an argument over what such and such means. Knowing this, I'm personally glad that I intentionally left my previous post kind of vague, and decided to cover a broad-ranging definition of realism in terms of graphics, gameplay, design, etc. Like, come on, how long does it take people to realize that they're arguing different definitions of the same term? (lol)
Yeah seriously though, I have a feeling that both people who want realism and don't want it, they actually want the same thing, but the terminology is just confusing.

Like when someone says Zelda should be realistic, I immediately think of games like CoD or Uncharted, but however, they are talking about TP style graphics, which is not my idea of "realistic", even an HD version of the game with better graphics, I can't imagine it being described as "realistic" in anyway.

Last edited:
If you're talking realism then you can't ignore the SS stamina metre. That's an attempt at realism there. And I don't think it went down too well.
Realism is more then just art style. It's gameplay, aesthetics sound effects etc etc.

Realism in itself is not bad in a video game, but how far you go with it matters. You don't want to clone real life (unless your Will Wright). People play games as an escape from real life, not to experience it all over again. But on the other hand if what happens and is seen in a video game is not believable within the universe it's in, then people just won't accept it as good. Will ZeldaU have realistic elements? Sure it will. But how far Nintendo run with it is the delicate balancing act which in part will determine how successful the game will be.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
If you're talking realism then you can't ignore the SS stamina metre. That's an attempt at realism there. And I don't think it went down too well.
Realism is more then just art style. It's gameplay, aesthetics sound effects etc etc.

Realism in itself is not bad in a video game, but how far you go with it matters. You don't want to clone real life (unless your Will Wright). People play games as an escape from real life, not to experience it all over again. But on the other hand if what happens and is seen in a video game is not believable within the universe it's in, then people just won't accept it as good. Will ZeldaU have realistic elements? Sure it will. But how far Nintendo run with it is the delicate balancing act which in part will determine how successful the game will be.

The stamina meter in SS depleted way too fast.

The only realistic thing I want to see in Zelda Wii U is battle damage and real physics.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think this is a good reason why. :rolleyes:

1798514_586911698045230_879480724_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom