• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Why is Realism Bad?

ZeldaDungeon

Dungeoneer
I don't find anything generally wrong with realism until you go so far into it that it's just stupid.

Like Bushido Blade.
That's where the makers of Bushido Blade attempted to stand out. You see, in Bushido Blade, the characters are engaged in realistic weapon-based combat. One well-placed sword slice is enough to end the fight immediately -- much like if you were fighting someone with giant swords in your backyard, if you stab your opponent in the head in Bushido Blade, you win.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I have yet to see a convincing argument for abandoning realism altogether. Look at the character models for TWW.

gzlp01-24svpc.jpg

Low detail and lots of solid, bright colors. Honestly not very appealing, at least not to me personally.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have games like Twilight Princess, which is done out in darker shades and hues of brown. Again, a slight overcompensation into graphical realism, but a welcome one for some.

twilight-princess-link-facethe-legend-of-zelda--twilight-princess-review---ign-u0lctwfb.jpg

However, done right, bright colors can easily be incorporated into a realistic-looking game, i.e. the upcoming Hyrule Warriors.

Now, the arguments against realism tend to rest upon spearing Twilight Princess's style and comparing it quite unflatteringly with games such as CoD, while at the same time refusing to notice the issues with the games they hold dear, such as TWW.

Realism has never existed in a pure form in the Zelda series at any point. The original Zelda games' artwork had a grim tone but always a very cartoony style despite that, with the exception of the scene artwork done for Adventure of Link and Link's Awakening (seen here and here), but while those were far more realistic they also had their own stylization, with an almost over-grimness and limited color schemes to create an unusual effect. These were the only real grasps we had of those games' art-styles, since the games themselves were sprite-based and simple.

With Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, the games segued from a more traditional cartoon feel into an anime feel, with more detailed environments and semi-realistic characters that still had cartoony aspects and were overly-expressive in the way that anime characters are. This is consistent between both the 3D models and the official artwork for both games. The Wind Waker took this farther, combining the super-deformed or chibi style with a bit of the classic cartoon vibe and more or less reverting back to the look of the original games but with its own spin on it (whereas the Game Boy titles mimicked A Link to the Past and the DS and Game Boy Advance titles mimicked The Wind Waker). Skyward Sword mimicked Ocarina of Time's anime feel -- stylization blended with a degree of realism -- with its own spin on it, while Hyrule Warriors is clearly doing the same thing.

Where I am going with this, is the series has no real precedent for being realistic. You ask "why is realism bad", but to put it bluntly, it doesn't matter whether it's bad or not; it's just not within the series' identity whatsoever. I imagine a number of Zelda fans take to it sourly because it's not what they look for in the series; it's not what brought to the series neither is it what keeps them playing it. There isn't anything wrong with realism on its own. But trying to say the Zelda series should be realistic is unavoidably a very sudden shift that is contrary to nearly its entire history up until this point. People not wanting to see the series drop its stylization should not be surprising whatsoever; it's to be expected.

As for Twilight Princess, there are three important things to note about it:

1. It is not realistic.
  2. It tried to be.
  3. Its identity lies in its grit and dullness, not its realism.

Twilight Princess isn't actually realistic in general. It's still very much a blend of stylization and realism, like Ocarina of Time, in that the proportions of the characters are often still quite odd, with anime facial expressions and other quirks. However, there is really no doubting that the game was going more for a realistic look. The environments are hyper-realistic barring console limitations, and there's a higher ratio of believable to semi-believable anatomy than there is in the other anime-styled games in the series. The Call of Duty comparison that some people make -- I've never made it myself -- I believe stems from the fact that Twilight Princess was an awkward execution of realism; whichever artists worked on its visuals, they decided that being realistic meant they had to subdue the colors, mute everything, and make the entire thing visually dull.

This is a poor representation of realism and also horribly muddied the stylized elements of the game. The real world is not that drab, and has more striking color. Pulling out and exaggerating things in your game's art -- stylizing it -- has a lot of neat advantages, but is damaged by not doing similar things with color. Put plainly, Twilight Princess lands in an extremely awkward and bad place between realism and stylization.

It's a bit sad because Twilight Princess is actually very similar to that scene artwork from Adventure of Link and Link's Awakening, which was cool stuff. If Twilight Princess' developers had tried to keep visual flair in mind more, it could have been a much better-looking game than it was. As I said before, those scene pieces has exaggerated and limited colors, and aren't Twilight Princess' most striking moments ones with lots of contrast between just a few colors? Link and King Bulblin battling in the sunset, Gerudo Desert at night, the Light Spirits shining in their springs... these are moments I found beautiful in Twilight Princess, but all of them involved creating contrast through awesome lighting; apart from moments like these, Twilight Princess has very little contrast, and that damages both its realistic and stylized elements. With regards to the gritty aspect I mentioned earlier, many things in Twilight Princess are twisted to be made disturbing; just look at the enemy designs and the general tone of the storyline. For some that's cool, but again remember that there's a more whimsical tone to most Zelda games; even the horror in Majora's Mask is set in a dreamlike and surreal world, not a harshly, ugly realistic one. There's a big difference in tone between the ethereal and oddly gothic Gomess and the realistic ugliness of the Deku Toad.

Now, me personally, I'm with the crowd that grew up with the series. I've never known Zelda to be a realistic series, and I have no interest in it being so; I play realistic games and stylized games, and I enjoy both, but I don't see why Zelda needs to change because of some silly new idea people have about how it should be realistic because... What, because they missed all the anime influences in Ocarina of Time's visuals? I don't mind the series making attempts at realism, but they have to be well-executed and they can't completely deny stylization, whimsy, and vibrancy. If you don't keep those elements intact, I feel you're just sucking the life out of Zelda. Zelda has never been realistic fantasy. There's nothing wrong with realistic fantasy, but that's not what Zelda is. Zelda's always been a bit silly and a bit odd. Don't be surprised when people are bothered by the idea of that changing.

Realism is boring. Realism is repetitive. Realism is old. So many ways I can go with this but it doesn't necessarily mean realism is bad. I'm sure we can all picture a realistic Zelda in the back of our minds and it probably looks amazing, but because this is a very common artstyle and is used in alot of games, there isn't really anything to look forward to in that respect. It's just the same thing you see in CoD only in a franchise we like, nothing really creative about that, it's just repeating what someone else does and that takes away uniqueness.

Zelda has always had some form of uniqueness to it's artstyle and does it's best to differentiate from other similar artstyles. Even Twilight Princess managed to be unique compared to other "realistic" artstyles. I feel that going full on realistic like Skyrim or something will just be a bandwagon attempt and will end up looking like every other realistic title and just lose it's unique flare.

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
I find that it takes away part of the soul that is Zelda, that being realistic and most likely dark would banish that little childlike "nintendo" feeling that you get when playing these games. It's supposed to be a little unrealistic, cartoony and childish! :)

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I find that it takes away part of the soul that is Zelda, that being realistic and most likely dark would banish that little childlike "nintendo" feeling that you get when playing these games. It's supposed to be a little unrealistic, cartoony and childish! :)

I'd somewhat agree with you, the soul is in the little details that come with the unrealistic approach. You seem to be into music like me, and I guess you'd agree that changing the tone and atmosphere to more serious in a game would call for different music, which IMO is a big part of the series. Then as you said also, that "childlike nintendo feeling" would probably go away if we went all realism mode.

But I do am supportive of more realistic art styles, not necessarily story and mechanics though.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
For those people with their "interesting" opinions, search up the recently announced Fable Legends. Look at the graphics. It's all bright and colorful, highly saturated colors, but with a realistic look to it. DO IT! It'll make you want to see a Zelda game like that.

Salem

SICK
For those people with their "interesting" opinions, search up the recently announced Fable Legends. Look at the graphics. It's all bright and colorful, highly saturated colors, but with a realistic look to it. DO IT! It'll make you want to see a Zelda game like that.
It isn't THAT realistic.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
It isn't THAT realistic.

When I mean realistic, I mean look at the details in the creatures faces and the detail put into the troll and the detail put on the characters faces. The enviroments are highly detailed as well. This game reminds me of the animation quality of "Tangled".

Salem

SICK
When I mean realistic, I mean look at the details in the creatures faces and the detail put into the troll and the detail put on the characters faces. The enviroments are highly detailed as well. This game reminds me of the animation quality of "Tangled".
That's just the graphics quality or something, if we're talking about that, that there's a fair chance that the new Wii U Zelda game will have a high graphical quality, if we're talking about the "style", then NONE of the Zelda games were realistic, not even TP.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
That's just the graphics quality or something, if we're talking about that, that there's a fair chance that the new Wii U Zelda game will have a high graphical quality, if we're talking about the "style", then NONE of the Zelda games were realistic, not even TP.

The graphics of that trailer. Wouldn't you want to see a Zelda game like that? Too bad Nintendo's never gonna make a game like that cause they only listen to the WW fans and SS fanboys. All of us who want to see something like that are nnever gonna get it and were gonna have to deal with childish crap forever.

Salem

SICK
The graphics of that trailer. Wouldn't you want to see a Zelda game like that? Too bad Nintendo's never gonna make a game like that cause they only listen to the WW fans and SS fanboys. All of us who want to see something like that are nnever gonna get it and were gonna have to deal with childish crap forever.
They will take advantage of the Wii U's better graphics, there's no question about that.

Fable Legends is basically a Twilight Princess with better colorization and less of the whacky character models, and I would agree something like that could work for a Zelda game. It is still a slight departure from the norm and would raise eyebrows, but it would definitely work for a game. It's not comparable to Tangled, though; Tangled is a lot closer to Skyward Sword or Ocarina of Time's style.

Not sure where you're getting this from. Skyward Sword was not a highly cartoony game and actually borrowed a lot more from your example of Tangled. If you mean "trailer", are you referring to this? Again, I don't really get it because that's still a variation on the fairly equally styled/realistic styles of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Fable Legends is basically a Twilight Princess with better colorization and less of the whacky character models, and I would agree something like that could work for a Zelda game. It is still a slight departure from the norm and would raise eyebrows, but it would definitely work for a game. It's not comparable to Tangled, though; Tangled is a lot closer to Skyward Sword or Ocarina of Time's style.

Not sure where you're getting this from. Skyward Sword was not a highly cartoony game and actually borrowed a lot more from your example of Tangled. If you mean "trailer", are you referring to this? Again, I don't really get it because that's still a variation on the fairly equally styled/realistic styles of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.

I'd love to see a Zelda game that looks like Tangled.

I don't see how SS look close to Tangled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom