• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why I Hate TP

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
i have many reasons to hate this game, but dont get offended if you liked the game, even if you did you could still post some things that annoyed you. one of my biggest problems with this game, is the equiptment.

equiptment: i own the gamecube version of this game, and i am used to pressing START to get to the item subscreen, however i have to press down on the controll pad to look at this. i also hate the ball and chain, i like how they brought back a ball and chain troopeer from Alttp, but i hated trying to operate this item. one of the things that annoyed me the most about the equiptment in this game, is the dominion rod, its your all purpose hammer replacement, only usable in one temple, it could have had a wider variety of options to use it for, or they could have given me my hammer, one of my favorite zelda items.

quests: there were enough quests in the game, but some of them were waaay to long, especially the golden bug, poe souls, and heart peices, witch brings me to another point, why 5? there were always 4 to a heart container, there are just too many of these scattered around hyrule. the golden bugs take way too long to find, because without a guide, you wander around aimlessly trying to find a bug the size of your fingernal. and the poes were incredibly dumb, considering after one died, it wouldnt respawn, much like big poes from Oot, but then why not have normal poes in TP?

for now, i have to go, i'll edit the rest in when i get back. as for now, you can post your biffs with the game, what did you hate? what did i say that you agree/disagree with, etc. post on!

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
You should probably see how BIG the overworld and how big the game is itself.
I had no problems with the quests, they spanned over a long period, and the game itself took atleast 40-50 hours to complete.
And your complaint about the Poe quest is incredibly dumb. This poe quest is about saving a person. And it would be so easy to find 60 poes if it just respawned all the time.
You have to expect to put time into your sidequests. It requires a lot of patience, but pays of in the end.
Fact is; you have to READ more of the dialogue. It isn't like you get money from bringing a poe to Jovani, you do it to SAVE him. And the poes are scattered around the world.

Equipment:

You can't accept that TP has it's differences. Do you have some kind of learning disability (no offense)? Was it to hard to get used to clicking another button than in Wind Waker or another game?
Was it to hard to operate the Ball of Chain as well? I think it was way easy. Sometimes it could be annoying, ut usually I got it right.
The dominion rod is NOT your all purpose hammer replacement. It is a rod you use to take control of a statue. The statue in the Temple of Time was supposed to stay there. It was only used to get through the temple.
Did you see another statue like that in the overworld? And the rod wasn't that much of use to do a sidequest.

Conclusion; If you had understood the game a little more, it would be better for you.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
i have many reasons to hate this game, but dont get offended if you liked the game, even if you did you could still post some things that annoyed you. one of my biggest problems with this game, is the equiptment.

equiptment: i own the gamecube version of this game, and i am used to pressing START to get to the item subscreen, however i have to press down on the controll pad to look at this. i also hate the ball and chain, i like how they brought back a ball and chain troopeer from Alttp, but i hated trying to operate this item. one of the things that annoyed me the most about the equiptment in this game, is the dominion rod, its your all purpose hammer replacement, only usable in one temple, it could have had a wider variety of options to use it for, or they could have given me my hammer, one of my favorite zelda items.

quests: there were enough quests in the game, but some of them were waaay to long, especially the golden bug, poe souls, and heart peices, witch brings me to another point, why 5? there were always 4 to a heart container, there are just too many of these scattered around hyrule. the golden bugs take way too long to find, because without a guide, you wander around aimlessly trying to find a bug the size of your fingernal. and the poes were incredibly dumb, considering after one died, it wouldnt respawn, much like big poes from Oot, but then why not have normal poes in TP?

for now, i have to go, i'll edit the rest in when i get back. as for now, you can post your biffs with the game, what did you hate? what did i say that you agree/disagree with, etc. post on!

- I've never played the gamecube version, but surely it's easier to reach the d-pad rather than reaching for the Start button. I know it kind of takes away the point of the Start button, but I can see the logic as to why they would do it.
- Personally, I loved the ball and chain, it was the first truely heavy duty weapon or item I can remember Link having for as long time.
- Prefering one weapon to another is purely how you feel, however I ahve to agree that I don't like the dominion rod, but no for the same reason you do. Rather than the way you have put it about supposedly replacing the hammer, I dislike it because I found it tedious to walk around with a slow statue behind me.
- To be honest, most side quests from Zelda games have been very long, but personally I don't think that a bad thing. I think the reason they made 5 pieces to the heart piece wasn't so it took you longer to fill one heart, but rather have an excuse to put more heart pieces in the game which effectively makes the game more rewarding.
- It's true that without help the Poe souls and golden bugs can take a while, but that's where the game has kept its challenging factor. If both the quests were quick and easy then there would be nothing left to do byt the time you've reached the end except defeat Ganondorf.

I suppose everyone has different opinions on games, but these factors alone could not make me hate TP I love it too much. I can only really find little fault in TP, it's not better than some of the previous games but it's still way up there.

jeez, do people go around the whole game finding minor faults to moan about.
not enough side quests.
too much side quests.

why arent they making new items
why are they making new items

too much side quests? well, they are SIDE quests, as in you do them if you want to, the more the better actually because that makes the game last more. I thought Twilight Princess was absolutely amazing, one of the best games ive ever played, yes not as good as the ocarina of time but will any game be? I also think that a lot of people look for very small minor faults and go on and on about them in this game. Other than the slight lack of difficulty and the annoying You got 5 rupees each time you turn on the game, the game is fantastic.

also i completely agree with you about the button layouts on the GC game, they sucked. you can hold 2 extra items, Z is used for Midna whereas down and left on the D-Pad were completely free. And it absolutely sucks how up on the D-Pad opens your item screen and right on the D-Pad shows the map whereas in the wind waker, which was what i was used it, Up opened the map. Anyway, you get used to it soon enough.

Another annoying thing (which is so minor most people forgot about it) is the way you control the bird, why with the pointer, i mean seriously theres a lovely analog on the nunchuk which we would love to use (same thing with harry potter 6)

again these things are minor and these minor things seem to overshadow the great things about twilight princess, amazing overworld, great music, great story, great dungeons, great plot twists (midna revealing she wanted tto use you, not the ganondorf one even though i liked that, everyone hated it) and an amazing game overall, kind of a slow start but once it gets good, it gets amazingly good

Austin

Austin
Some of your points are valid and make sense, except one. The time issue. If you haven't notice, they don't make console Zelda games on a year-to-year basis. In fact, its been almost 4 years since the last release of a console game, Twilight Princess. To argue that the quests are too long or there are too many, is bad argument in my opinion. I'll admit I'm a big Zelda fan-boy. I like my Zelda games to be as long as humanly possible, because I want to span the playing time for as long as possible because they come out so rarely.

Legend of Zelda isn't made to be one of those short less then 10 hours games. They're the longer ones, and have had a reputation in the old days for having big worlds and exploration. Like most Zelda fan boys, they were introduce to Zelda with this idea, and they like this idea. They're also going to be ones who will give good reviews about the game and inform friends/family to purchase the games. This is why Nintendo will try to aim their Zelda games towards these fans, but at the same time try to keep it playable for beginners. We know this to be true, because of Nintendo's strict rules on releasing a game (expressed by Reggie).

I would agree with Yann, I don't have the Gamecube, but surely reaching the D-Pad is easier than reaching the Minus button. Also, having a completely different screen felt a little more organized. By having the equipment screen out of the start menu, it made it less cluttered, and you didn't have to change screens in the pause menu to find your equipment.
As for the Ball and Chain, it was a great addition to the game. A strong item to counter strong enemies, though with the lack of speed. The Dominion was surely not an all-purpose hammer replacement; it was used in one dungeon really, and even in the overworld you didn't get any statues that can attack.
The Golden Bug wasn't too long, neither was the poe souls, or the heart pieces. The Golden Bugs was perhaps the shortest one in the game. All you had to remember about the Golden bugs is that wherever you found one gender of the bug, the other gender is somewhere else in that area. Heart Pieces can be found by going to the fortune teller and asking for a fortune of "Love". As for Poe's Souls, they were mostly found around Hyrule Field, and places you had to go anyways. And if poes did respawn, that would kill the purpose of finding all 60 to heal Jovani

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I don't really care for TP much myself, but I hardly agree with any of the original poster's complaints. I'll also say that the reasons provided for not liking TP are a little.... well, I can see how one might be annoyed by what was posted, but I don't think those are enough to cause dislike for a game.

Had you mentioned the LACK of decent/interesting sidequests, the fact that Midna took all the spotlight, the lack of real puzzles, the lack of a decent OST, the lack of Zelda elements (magic, fairies, moar princess zelda and ganon) or the lack of difficulty, then yeah, I'd agree..... but you didn't post any of that at all. If you don't like TP, that's fine, neither do I, but.... I dunno, your reasons for not liking it don't seem justified.

Austin

Austin
You can't accept that TP has it's differences. Do you have some kind of learning disability (no offense)? Was it to hard to get used to clicking another button than in Wind Waker or another game?
Whoa there, I had issues getting used to using the D-Pad to select items instead of the start button to, and I consider myself one of the sharper knives in the drawer. Habits are hard to break.

That being said, I disagree with the rest of the OP's points. The poe soul and insect quests were no longer than the Golden Skultullas in OoT, although they were similarly tedious. And as for the five heart piece thing, I think that was done so more of them could be included in the game. There are heart pieces EVERYWHERE in TP...... it felt like every other treasure chest I found contained one. If I had to complain about TP (and keep in mind that TP is one of my favorites), it'd be the ridiculously easy bosses (Ganondorf was the final boss with four stages, and I didn't have to use any fairies. And I'm not exceptional at combat.) and the fact that the entirety of Hyrule Field isn't open to you until you remove all traces of twilight from the map.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Whoa there, I had issues getting used to using the D-Pad to select items instead of the start button to, and I consider myself one of the sharper knives in the drawer. Habits are hard to break.

Of course, I had that as well. I was more talking about throughout the game. Like, if he still had that old habit on the steps of Ganondorf? It should not take long to break that habit, and there should be no reason at all to be pissed about it. Even I have gotten pretty much used to the new YouTube layout :O

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I don't realy hate TP I though it was a pretty balanced game old formula and all, what I didn't like was this big OverWorld that had no meaning and felt very empty most the time, Oh, and the plot (at least up to the Master Sword) was really pathetic and undetailed( Just like my post).

But, I've said it before and I'll still say it, TP is overrated, mostly by this Wii fanboys(or the 11 year old kids who weren't there for the REAL consoles) and the n00bs who have only played one 3d Zelda and it happens to be TP and treat it like it's the holly graeil(I mostly hate it when they claim to be "Hardcore Fans").

Nye Pendragon

derparific
Twilight Princess is my favorite game. Because I lack taste. : D
but anyways...

But hating the game because of buttons and quests? If I did that, I'd never play a video game again! -ponders-
Then again, I can see your reasoning... maybe I'm just biased. But there are a few things about TP that annoyed me to no end:

THE LACK OF GOOD SIDEQUESTS:
I haaaaaated Poe Collecting. HATED it.
The Heart Container sidequests weren't so bad, and the Golden Bugs didn't bother me, but both were kind of... boring? :<
I dunno; I think a LOT more could have been done with the sidequests... look at how GIANT the overworld is!

Plus the lack of use of AWESOME items like the Dominion Rod and the Spinner. Sigh. I would have /loved/ to use them properly outside the dungeon... but feh, they're just one-hit wonders, I guess.

And don't get me started on the whole Sol returning bit in the Twilight Palace... -shudders-

eponafan

Midna fan also
I was looking forward to putting an item on Z, and Midna could have been C down, Wolf could have been C- Right, and Teleport could have been With Midna.

TP is still my favorite Zelda game.

One thing I didn't like about TP is the City in the Sky. Really annoying. When I first played the game, I expected an actual city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom