• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do So Many Ppl Think There is a Split Timeline...?

the split time line is that adult link seals ganon away while the child timeline stops ganon from geting the :triforce: but gets the :triforce: later

oh and nintendo said there was a split

The timeline split is how in ocarina of time after ganon is defeated and link gives the ocarina back he continues with his life
or... He could have gone back in time before everything happened and went looking for Navi where Majoras Mask takes place.

S

Swift

Split_Timeline_Theory.png

JerônimoLink

New Hyrule's Engineer
i have to check that credit ending again, but i normally think credits show moments during the game
and not from after the game i finished spirit tracks last night and only in the very end do you see something from after the
game story, and its meaningless...

Actually, the images are from after the game. You can see that because that old guy from the castle(forgot his name, sorry)is really happy for seeing Zelda and the story that Niko teels the kids is from Link in the Tower of Spirits! The only part that isn't from after the game is that image from Link in the Spirit Train with Zelda's ghost at his side.

the way i see it, THERE IS NO SPLIT TIMELINE!
Ocarina of Time just goes 2 times in the timeline cause it has a 7 year gap between
i can agree on any theory there is as long as its backed up by good arguments
but not this, there is just no logic
its only logical that link fast forwards in time during OoT....
Nintendo officially SAID there was a split in the timeline during the release of "Wind Waker". There is also in-game evidence that supports this.

When you finish "Ocarina of Time", there is a scene where young Link goes to see Princess Zelda again. If the time travel had been consistent by sending him back to the last time he left for the future, he would not be able to do this. By the time he pulled the Master Sword out, Zelda had already left the castle. The only explanation is that he was sent back in time to before he gathered the three spiritual stones.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
There has to be a split timeline because there is legitament evidence that both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker both come after Ocarina of Time, and that other games succeed them.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Oh my goodness, why is this thread so long. There shouldn't be that much to discuss in regards to whether or not the timeline is split because Nintendo has confirmed that that's how it works. I can understand perhaps how someone might not understand how the time paradox in Ocarina of Time that creates an alternate timeline works, but the debate should be closed as to whether or not the timeline is split. There is a split timeline. Period.

Well first off, Nintendo comfirmed it. You're right though, when saying there are good arguments against the split timeline. Truedge2097 on YouTube makes a wonderful arguement against the split timeline.

That said, you were wrong when you said there isn't any logical sense to the split timeline. Now before any Linearists try to stone me, I just want to remind you that all the timeline theories are completed speculatory.

In denfense of the split timeline, here it is. Since this deals with Ocarina of Time's multiple endings/lack of them, I won't bore you with talking about other games.

First off, when Zelda sends Link back, she says (something along the lines of) "the road between times is closed". This obviously means that Link can no longer travel though time. This could be translated that two alternate times have been created. Present from past although having the same history. Thus assisting my defense of the split timeline. Also, though not canonical, is the fact that it is much, MUCH more difficult to make a timeline with the linear timeline. Now I don't want to sound lazy or anything, but it is true (but that depends on your perspective I guess).

You mentioned that the split timeline is impossible because Zelda keeps the Ocarina of Time. Many Linearist have used this example against the split timeline. However this would result in a loop, but this would mean there is no timeline. Obviously that isn't the goal. The other interpretation is that the linear timeline is the child timeline. And that nothing happens after the adult ending. This is very possible and I somewhat agree. As for the Ocarina of Time staying with Zelda, remember that it is what we do in the past that affects what happens in the future, not the other way around (by the way, that was a dirrect quote from the YouTube theorist Lancun).

I really hope this makes sense to you.

Well the timeline is confusing topic so i will not get into it but there is a split timeline because Miyamoto confirmed it. I do feel that Nintendo never really thought about the split timeline theory until fans talked about it and as a result Nintendo ran with it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well the timeline is confusing topic so i will not get into it but there is a split timeline because Miyamoto confirmed it. I do feel that Nintendo never really thought about the split timeline theory until fans talked about it and as a result Nintendo ran with it.

It was actually Aonuma that confirmed it.

Anyway, there most certainly was a split upon OoT's release, as there wouldn't have been a festival going on in the credits if there wasn't.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Oh my goodness, why is this thread so long. There shouldn't be that much to discuss in regards to whether or not the timeline is split because Nintendo has confirmed that that's how it works. I can understand perhaps how someone might not understand how the time paradox in Ocarina of Time that creates an alternate timeline works, but the debate should be closed as to whether or not the timeline is split. There is a split timeline. Period.

If you really want to know I covered that on page 5:

Yes, because the guy who started the topic wasn't prepared to just take what Anouma and Miyamato said at face-value if there was nothing in the games to back it up. This is why it went on so long. Because not enough people were prepared to find significant details within the games that promote this idea.

I find it a shame that people don't stop to read what's been said and presented, or even just skim through to see if what they're bringing up has been mentioned already. If anyone really has to wonder how this topic got to 5 pages, they've not watched the same point come up 50 times already.

T

TriforceReviews

everyone belives the split timeline as fact yet it could all be pressure like many time miyamoto has said somthing was fact and wasnt under pressure. my view on it is that there is not 2 timelines there is one when link beats gannon he sent back before the ocarina is given to him and they warn the king of gannons plans. so they seal him away and link goes to termina. this is my thought makes more sense to me then a split one:)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
everyone belives the split timeline as fact yet it could all be pressure like many time miyamoto has said somthing was fact and wasnt under pressure. my view on it is that there is not 2 timelines there is one when link beats gannon he sent back before the ocarina is given to him and they warn the king of gannons plans. so they seal him away and link goes to termina. this is my thought makes more sense to me then a split one:)

OoT's ending without a split is impossible. Otherwise the festival in the credits wouldn't have been taking place. If Link had just gone back, he would have changed the future to where that festival would never have been happening, as Ganondorf would never have taken over. Since that's the case, there's no way it has anything to do with "pressure". The split has always been intended since OoT's release. It just wasn't truly confirmed until an interview about WW, in which Aonuma said OoT had a child and adult ending. He then said after TP's release that WW and TP run parallel to each other, meaning there's a split and the one time cannot be reached by the other. The split timeline is very real and makes perfect sense. If anyone can't understand it by reading all the statements of how it exists that are in this thread, then I really don't know what to say. That's not me saying anyone's stupid, that's just me being very surprised how someone couldn't understand something so easy to comprehend.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I can't really agree that the child timeline leads to the events of Twilight Princess. It more leads to the event of the wind waker because if you remember in the wind waker's prologue, It explains that Link traveled in time to seal the dark one away.
Link traveled in time on the AT. He used the Master Sword to travel back-and-forth several times.

With that said, it makes me believe that after the events of Majora's Mask, something terrible happened to Link, which explains how Link didn't appear when Hyrule needed him.
This is circular logic. Something terrible happened to Link because he didn't appear, and he didn't appear because something terrible happened to him.

With this in mind, it is possible that Link and Zelda reveiled Ganondorf's plan and that the sages sealed him, and that explains how he was sealed away.
That is precisely how Aonuma explains that TP is set up.

Now as for the Adult timeline, In the credits of Ocarina of Time, it shows the people celebrating because of the downfall of Ganondorf, and this story, In adult Link's world, was told from decade after decade which lead to the events of Twilight Princess. Now the Ganondorf in Twilight Princess was different to the one in Ocarina of Time, though they had the same ambition, to Invade the Sacred Realm.
What makes you say that it's a different Ganondorf? Careful of circular logic here too. Also, Aonuma told us that they are the same.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Nintendo has confirmed that there is a split in the timeline. According to an interview with Eiji Aonuma, Twilight Princess and TWW take place parallel to each other, the same amount of time after OoT's original events. All linearists are now in error (including you, said with agape' love), and they will be that way unless Nintendo revises their timeline and says "We made a mistake, the timeline is straight again."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom