• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do People Dislike Phantom Hourglass?

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
I have ph and it's an okay game. I think people don't like it b/c of the temple of the ocean king. I hate that place!!!! Also b/c of the boat and the lack of sidequests.

One of the main reasons you will see people dislike Phantom Hourglass is because of the Temple of the Ocean King. Its actually probably the best temple/dungeon in that game. Its probably the hardest in the game, despite still being easy. People just don't like the fact that you're timed, and you have to repeat floors to get even deeper into the Temple of the Ocean King.

Also, Phantom Hourglass was the first Zelda game for the DS, so of course there were going to be flaws in this game.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I love it! I personally think it's twice as good as the Spirit Tracks, though it was much too easy. (especially after you got the Phantom Sword!)

I don't see the problem with the game.

Pop 360

Angel Beats Geek
I loved phantom hourglass it was my first Zelda game and it got me into the whole series, I have just played it again doing the three heart challenge and I was reminded how good it was. I am not sure why everyone puts it down, maybe its because its one of eaiser games, maybe beacuse of just different tastes, I am not sure but I loved it and I thought It was amazing.

leonardo

was once the forum's youngest member
I loved it very much,the thing is,Since I'm a big gamer it got a little boring as i repeated the game.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i like it more then I like ST. I mean ST had graphics updates and a couple new weapons but thats about it. But PH had a great story and a better form of transportation

The Tower of the Ocean King really ruined it for me. You basically had to go all through the levels you've already completed just so you go to the next set of floors.

I

Iron Knuckle

I hate it, the gameplay is bad.The story might be good, but i don't listen to any of the story.
I got stuck about 3/4 into the game and i put it down, never tried it again

K

Ken

Well, I've beaten both PH and ST, and I think that PH is a great game.
PH dungeons are very easy if compared to ST's dungeons.
The ToOK isn't bad, when you get more items and weapons you can unlock shortcuts.

I think sailing is better than trains. In PH you can use a blackboard to warp, instead of using warps.
ST has updated graphics, better music and more difficult dungeons but its story is very short.

Another thing: the cannon in PH is really bad. ST's cannon is bad only underwater (it is pratically unusable there).

Diablo

King of Redeads
I actually really liked the game, but the temple of the ocean king does get annoying and I guess that is a turn off for Loz players.

Kybyrian

Well, a lot of people hate PH because it's just not like a portable Zelda game. Every other portable Zelda game has been 2D and all that, and it's really different to have something like this, and most don't think they did a very good job of it. It's like when TWW first came out, everybody thought the graphics were too childish. They got over TWW's graphics, though. PH just had other things in it people hated. The sailing wasn't really good, because it was just point A to point B. It wasn't really fun to sail at all. Of course it was never really fun sailing in TWW, but PH kind of made it even worse, especially after the first few times.

The dungeons were incredibly easy, the bosses incredibly easy, and the puzzles were incredibly easy. The entire game was pretty much the easiest Zelda game ever, which made it horrible for a lot of people. People don't want a Zelda game you're going to breeze through and not remember anything about except the bad parts, or not enjoy as they run through it as much as they should. There could have been a lot of things better done in PH.

T

Twilight_Prince

i have both PH and ST, the controls are very weird at first and take a lot of getting used to, but after u get used to the controls, they become second nature. as for y people hate PH so muh is probabley because the idea was used already in WW. We get it, hyrule is flooded, suck it up and try to do what you can

K

Ken

Weird controls? I think they are really comfortable.
And the ToOK isn't annoying. It's very easy and it gets easier when you get new items.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I quite enjoyed the game but it's nowhere near the top of my "favorites" list. I'd place it at 6th out of the 8 that I've played. Here's my thoughts on the game; what I liked and didn't like:

1. STORY. The story is generally the biggest thing that I look for in a Zelda game. The story always draws me to the games, not the gameplay or controls or items. I think the story was not up to par in this game. It was very dull and not very exciting. This was the biggest let down for me. I still have yet to play LA so I can't really compare them though.

2. GAMEPLAY/CONTROLS. So far, I think this was the most innovative Zelda game, control-wise. I disagree with other posters saying that the controls were awkward. I think the controls were the best part about the game and allowed for some great use of weapons. Items like the boomerang were used in a way that they never had been used before. This was definitely a HUGE plus for me. :)

3. MUSIC. So far out of the 8 games I've played (LoZ, AoL, OoT, MM, WW, TP, PH, ST), this game has got to have the most boring soundtrack. There wasn't a single memorable song in the entire game. It was just so uninspired and nothing caught my attention. ST has a great, memorable soundtrack and that was one of my favorite things about the game. Why couldn't PH have had the same? :(

4. SIDEQUESTS. There really were none, except for collecting Ruto Crowns and Power/Wisdom/Courage gems, etc. Collection sidequests are always my least favorite because they're not really deep and serve no purpose other than a hassle if you want to get 100%. They add nothing more to the game than time. I really wasn't a fan of how linear (although only 2 games IMO didn't seem so linear, MM and WW) the game was without them.

5. SAILING. I thought that the sailing, for the most part, was improved upon from TWW. Islands were no longer so spread out and the ocean felt a LITTLE less empty. I don't know if this was done one purpose, or just because of the lack of memory/data space that the DS has compared to the Gamcube. Either way, I think that was for the better. The only thing I didn't really like was that sailing didn't feel as free as TWW and exploration wasn't the same due to the fact that your ship followed a fixed route. For the most part, this was a positive (But I still prefer traveling by foot or horse.)

6. DIFFICULTY/TotOK. The difficulty and Temple of the Ocean King kind of go hand in hand. While for the most part, this game was a piece of cake (almost TOO easy), the Temple of the Ocean King was insanely difficult (Not to mention repetitive). It was if all the difficulty was focused in the TotOK and they just didn't bother to add any difficulty to the rest of the game. Easiness isn't too big of a deal to me though.

7. OTHER. Something the I DID like was the comic relief that Linebeck entertained us with. :D One more thing I DIDN'T like was the plain-ness of temples. With the exception of the Ice Temple, all the temples were indistinguishable from one another. They were all brown and colorless. They barely felt like they had a theme to them.

Even though I listed a lot more negatives than positives, I still think it was a good game. Compared to other Zelda games though, it was just ok. I'd give it about a 6-7/10.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Phantom Hourglass is a great game. I personally liked it. People are forgetting it's a handheld game. I mean come on, Phantom Hourglass is one of the very few good quality games on the DS. The controls were very easy to get used to and very comfortable. When it comes to handheld games I don't want a very serious important Zelda game. I'd prefer they put those type of games on the console to get more with better quality. I mean who is seriously a hardcore portable gamer? Hardcore games belong on the consoles and not on handhelds. For a portable game Phantom Hourglass was great. That's like playing Mario Galaxy and expecting to get a Mario game that good on a handheld. I mean come on, be real guys. I wouldn't want a real Zelda title on the handheld knowing that it could of been better on a console, that's why it was more of a side game and not really important to the series. Why would anyone play Twilight Princess and think there going to get that on the DS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom