• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why Are There Scratch Marks on the Tree in Lake Hylia?

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Not sure if there's ever been a thread on this before... but I can't recall one soo...

On that dead tree in the middle of Lake Hylia in Oot, there's three huge scratches carved into it.

Lake_Hylia.jpg

Nobody ever makes reference to it that I can recall, nor does it have any significance to the plot. It's just kinda... there without explanation. Anyone have any thoughts or theories about this?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
No idea why they are there, but ,when I was younger and saw them for the first time, I thought they were a hint that at some point I would have to fight some kind of giant monster in the lake. Kind of like how Ganondorf lets a Goron-eating dragon loose on Death Mountain, I thought he would have done something similar in the lake, releasing some kind of beast into the water. Some kind of beast with big claws that could leap out and attack people on the small island. I suppose you should imagine Gyorg from Majora's Mask but with talons to get an idea of what I was anticipating.

Anyway, needless to say, there was no such lake monster in the game, and the boss of the Water Temple was, like, an eye that controlled water, one thin finger of it at a time. To be honest, that's probably why I was so disappointed with Morpha as a boss.

Salem

SICK
Is it there in child Link's time as well or only during adult Link gameplay???

Last edited:

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I'm surprised. I checked ocarina of time 3D to see if they were there as a child, ended up going there as an adult first. They aren't even there in the 3D remake. that doesn't really say much but I just find it interesting. Will have to check my N64 cartridge soon

Salem

SICK
As I recall, it's in both times... but apparently it's not in the remake at all.
If that's the case...

Might have been something left over from OoT's beta stages. Perhaps they were considering putting a giant clawed monster there but changed their mind?
Yeah, I can believe that they had something in mind back then but changed there minds and forgot to remove it, and since it's not in the 3DS version, so maybe they thought it's pointless to keep it.

Possibly there Is a connection between the fact that there is a dead tree in the middle of lake Hylia, and also in the area were you fight dark link?
watertemple_lake.jpglake-hylia-2.jpg

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Possibly there Is a connection between the fact that there is a dead tree in the middle of lake Hylia, and also in the area were you fight dark link?
You're getting somewhere! Since Morpha can't make those because it lacks claws or teeth or anything remotely similar...maybe it was Dark Link instead, using the tree for sword practice. Ganondorf might have magiced him up there, then put him in that room in the Water Temple...why that spot, the world will never know, but it's better than Kaepora Gaebora slipping while perching on that tree, as someone said in the last topic about this. The last topic was a long time ago though...

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I'm far more inclined to believe it was a remnant of a scrapped idea that they removed from the remake. Shadow Link is an illusion produced within the Water Temple, he's not a physical entity.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Shadow Link is an illusion produced within the Water Temple, he's not a physical entity.
If he's an illusion then how can he cause physical harm/do damage? Illusions/mirages can't hurt you. I think he's something Ganondorf made to try and stop Link...there's plenty of instances of powerful magicians creating living beings in a lot of stories/games/whatever.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
But there are also plenty of stories where illusions are given the power to deal real damage. Shadow games of Yugioh ringing a bell?

If Link was trapped in an illusion and couldn't see it for what it was, it could hurt him because he believed it was hurting him.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
Honestly it is probably beta stuff like the others said, but I like the Dark Link idea. I can't think of anything that might back it up though. I do have one question, why is there a tree in Dark Links room anyway, it's kinda random.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
There never was, it was all an illusion, remember? It was probably manifested so Dark Link had something to lean up against looking all cool and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom