• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who else Would Want to See Another 2D Zelda?

So recently I thought it might be cool to see another 2D Zelda game similar in style and gameplay to alttp. I'm not saying that I want this to be the next big release for the wiiu or 3DS but maybe nintendo could make a 2D Zelda and release it on the eshop while we're all eagerly waiting for the next big release. Who else thinks this might be a good idea?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I do want to see another 2D Zelda -- more specifically a top-down view Zelda -- but with an interesting twist. Moving Link would be done via the Circle Pad to allow for free-range movement (something a D-pad can't do), and attacking and item use would be done with the stylus. While moving in the DS games could be a bit awkward at times, the two former features (mainly the item-use) had more options opened up for them with the touch screen's technology. Doing this would provide a really great mixture of previous handheld games' styles with the DS's.

The real kicker, though, would be something most people have probably never thought of -- a targeting system. This idea came to me when fighting Jolene in Phantom Hourglass. Being able to strafe while fighting her would have made things a lot less tedious and frustrating. It would also open up a lot more options in the combat, much like the touch screen controls did for the item use in the DS games.

That's my take. :)

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Hmm, I don't know about that.

Zelda (and every franchise, for that matter) seem to do better when they're advancing forward instead of regressing back. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to have a 2D Zelda game again, but if it's just for the sake of going back to the good ol' days then I don't see the point. It's a large part of the reason I stopped following the Mario franchise, the vast majority of their games are just rehashes of previous games. I had fun playing NSMWii with friends just like everybody else, but I don't see that as having advanced the series forward in any significant way.

If they can find some way to actually advance the series forward with a 2D game, great, I'm all for that. If it's what a large portion of the fans want, then so be it, Nintendo's a business after all and it'll be stupid on their part to ignore that desire among fans. But I'd rather them focus on the 3D games, since that's where most of the significant changes have happened.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
2D Games are going through something of a Renaissance thanks to Wii Shop, XBLA, and PSN. I found the 2D remakes of other franchises quite satisfying, and many newer original titles like Braid, Castle Crashers, and Fez well worth the asking price. Why not Zelda too?

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If they can find some way to actually advance the series forward with a 2D game, great, I'm all for that.

JuicieJ said:
I do want to see another 2D Zelda -- more specifically a top-down view Zelda -- but with an interesting twist. Moving Link would be done via the Circle Pad to allow for free-range movement (something a D-pad can't do), and attacking and item use would be done with the stylus. While moving in the DS games could be a bit awkward at times, the two former features (mainly the item-use) had more options opened up for them with the touch screen's technology. Doing this would provide a really great mixture of previous handheld games' styles with the DS's.

The real kicker, though, would be something most people have probably never thought of -- a targeting system. This idea came to me when fighting Jolene in Phantom Hourglass. Being able to strafe while fighting her would have made things a lot less tedious and frustrating. It would also open up a lot more options in the combat, much like the touch screen controls did for the item use in the DS games.

Would that be enough for you to support another 2D game?

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Intersting, i would say yes, not to long ago Miyamoto said it was possible for a sequel to ALTTP in the future, this, i think, would be a perfect oppurtunity to launch a classic 2d game, but with new innovations, i hear people say they only played the first couple of 2d games, this would be an oppurtinity to draw classic gamers back, the nostalgia of a game like ALttP alone would make people like it, and it woudnt be overly hard to really make.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well I have good news and bad news for you.

Good News: Fans will continue making 2D games so you can keep playing them.

Bad News: Spirit Tracks may be the last 2D game we'll see.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Intersting, i would say yes, not to long ago Miyamoto said it was possible for a sequel to ALTTP in the future, this, i think, would be a perfect oppurtunity to launch a classic 2d game, but with new innovations, i hear people say they only played the first couple of 2d games, this would be an oppurtinity to draw classic gamers back, the nostalgia of a game like ALttP alone would make people like it, and it woudnt be overly hard to really make.

Hmmm. LttP's 25th anniversary is coming up in a few years.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hmmm

I think the 2D era is behind us, with the release of the 3DS it looks like it has the capability to handle full 3D resolution like OoT 3D did! To be honest am not really bothered about not seeing another 2D zelda game. Sure there were greats like A link to the Past but I just dont see how now they could match up to a 3D Zelda game...

I am against downloading games. So a wholly new canon Zelda available for download only would seriously tick me off. However i highly doubt Nintendo would do this since they want every Zelda game to be an event and would rather release it hard copy wholesale with special editions like SS on the Wii. It also takes effort to make a zelda 2D or 3D so again i doubt nintendo would limit it to just downloads.

As for getting another 2D game at all.. ive never been a fan of the 2D titles, i grew up with them but after playing OoT on the n64 i knew way back then that the 3D realm is where Zelda should be. I've only really liked about 2 2D titles and with nintendo finally saying that theyre treating handheld Zelda games as they would a homeconsole game, having a 2D game now would just take the momentum out of everything and most likely disappoint everyone considering how easy the 3DS handled OoT

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Geez where is the DISlike button. 2D is not behind us, i agree with Curmudeon that we at a Renaissance with 2D games. i am all for it, but i know that if they do it they will put it on a handheld, and im not down with that, as i do not play the handhelds. As for the whole idea that there might be a Segule to ALttP, im AM down with that, and im all about it being a throwback to 2D. With all the extra power that these new systems have, why not go back to 2D and use all the power you got to make an awesome 2D game. i mean the graphics wont be takeing up a whole lot of space in a 2D title, so they got all that extra energy to throw at gameplay functions, side quests, and extra goodies to pick up.

In the end a good game is defined by gameplay, and plot! why everyone thinks that only a 3D game can be good, I dont know. I think too many peple are spoiled by what the gameing world has been giveing us in the past 10 years. I am all about a 2D Zelda game just to open those peoples eyes that Old School style games are not dead!

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
To be honest, I would prefer Nintendo to release their next 2D Zelda as a major game release instead of just some cheap ALttP knock-off. If another 2D Zelda one was to be reased, I would prefer it to be on the 3DS; to me it just seems like a 2D game is better fit to a handheld console.

Personally, I would prefer a 2D game cycle to come out before we see another bunch of 3D games, though, that probably wouldn't be the best for Nintendo seeing that most now are 3D.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
2d

The main games have moved beyond 2d, but portables and mnor games remain. They can utilize old scrapped ideas like mystical seed of courage, and new technologies the 3ds and Wii u. The games could feature sidescrolling along the lines of Zelda ii or the old overlook style. Fans would eat them up and the can go mainstream if Nintendo puts effort into it. They can be a throwback as well as a new step in Zelda's ongoing evolution.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The main games have moved beyond 2d, but portables and mnor games remain. They can utilize old scrapped ideas like mystical seed of courage, and new technologies the 3ds and Wii u. The games could feature sidescrolling along the lines of Zelda ii or the old overlook style. Fans would eat them up and the can go mainstream if Nintendo puts effort into it. They can be a throwback as well as a new step in Zelda's ongoing evolution.

This is exactly what I'd like to see. The 3DS' lack of anti-aliasing will be a problem for me graphically, but if Nintendo can make another convincing, deep two dimensional title again, I say go for it. I'd prefer to see side-scrolling return; there are so many capabilities in the realm of action that Nintendo could use! Make this renewed line of 2D games /not/ gimmicky, /not/ related to older titles (in that they aren't remakes), but absolutely AWESOME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom