• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda Game Has the Worst Bosses

Which Zelda Game Do You Think Has the Worst Bosses?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Ages

• Oracle of Seasons

• The Wind Waker

• Four Swords

• Four Swords Adventures

• The Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword

• Total voters

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Twilight Princess had the most pathetic line-up of bosses I've ever seen in the Zelda series. Not a single challenge among any of them. What's worse is that some common enemies are more challenging than a lot of the bosses. And that is most certainly unacceptable. The bosses were designed poorly, too. In most cases, all you had to do was stun them with the dungeon item and attack the weak point. And then they're dead. End of story.

Diababa was simply pathetic. Gale Boomerang x Bombling = ridiculously quick defeat. Diababa was one of the most worthless bosses I've ever seen in any video game. Fyrus looked like he could be worth something. But he too was just painfully easy. Shoot him in the head, grab the chain at his feet, and shout "Timber!". That's basically all you have to do. Morpheel was one of those bosses whose only merit is size. Morpheel may look threatening, but just like with the first two bosses, he can be defeated ridiculously quickly. Use the Clawshot, smack his eye with your sword a few times, and it's over.

Stallord's only redeeming feature was that he was kind of fun to fight. And it was a little tricky to get to his spine during the first phase. But after that, he once again reverted to the past formula. Dungeon item stun, sword strikes, death. Blizzeta was too easy. The first phase is a joke. I've never dispensed with any boss quicker. The second phase is a little better, but it's a simple feat to dodge the icicles she summons, and once again, the dungeon item spells her defeat. Armoghoma: do I even need to say it? Just like the rest, very very easy. Shoot her eye, use the Dominion Rod on the statue. The end. And the conclusion to her first phase led to my very first facepalm at the Zelda series. ... I don't think I really need to explain anything else about Armoghoma.

Argorak was kind of epic, and the setting for the battle was pretty neat. But other than that, he's a joke. Clawshot his tail, Iron Boots. That's all it takes to get to the second phase. The second phase was easy, too. Clawshot the Peahats, avoid the fire, Clawshot his back, sword strike. Repeat. Dead. The end. The only good part about that battle was when Argorak tries to pull a feint, and reverses the direction of his flames to try and get you. That actually got me the first time I fought him. Other than that, he was just as pathetic as the rest of the bosses. Zant was a joke, too. All his phases save for the last one were parodies of previous boss and miniboss battles in the game. The unbelievable uncreativity of this battle disappointed me.

Finally, Ganondorf. The final boss of the game. He, sadly like the rest of them, was a joke. Not one of his phases was challenging. Not one. The first phase is simply an energy ball tennis match, the second phase is just another stun cycle like the rest of the bosses, and the third phase was more irritating than anything else. The last phase, while kind of epic, was still pathetically easy. Even if you don't use the fishing rod trick, Ganondorf still doesn't present much of a challenge. He was one of the worst final bosses I've ever faced.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I LOVE TP madly but I really think their bosses were so damn easy it wasn't fun anymore. It was not even a question of how quick you would defeat them no it was more a question if you could defeat them in 25 sec. They really did a bad job with those bosses. Yes some fights were fun but fact is there was no challenge in those bosses at all. Only the Ganondorf battle was good

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
I don't understand the people who vote for TP and PH. Those bosses may be easy but at least they looked awesome and were pleasing to fight. Compare those games bosses to the original Legend of Zeldas bosses and I think we can see a big difference here. The bosses in LoZ not only were repeated a few times throughout the game but they also didn't look that great and they were about as easy a room full of enemies in the same dungeon. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with what I said about how the bosses look but seriously, as far as bosses go in the really classic titles, I think AoL wins there in both looks and fight. Back to the main subject, I personally think that the boss of a dungeon should be a tough challenge. This was not the case with the bosses in LoZ. I understand that gaming is a lot different nowadays but still, the bosses in LoZ just don't hold up well.

Yeah I guess they just expect more from Nintendo than we do I liked the bosses in TP and PH but everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I stand by those apparently less loved bosses.

After some thought, I voted The Wind Waker. It was a toss-up between that and Four Swords, but I chose The Wind Waker over it for a couple of reasons. First, TWW is a full game and is held to a higher standard than the mere side-game FS. Secondly, FS's boss fights were at least challenging (if cheap and poorly designed) and featured a shred of creativity, whereas TWW inspired TP's anticlimactic boss fights with how generally easy and simple they were. The bosses didn't feel like living, dangerous enemies to me. They just felt like glorified puzzles that had a small chance at killing you, and if you knew the answer to the puzzle, you were good to go. The only exception is the final boss fight, which is not just the best fight in the game, but possibly one of the best in the series. Still, it doesn't save TWW from its bleak fate of bosses.

TP is the second-worst Zelda game in terms of bosses, right behind TWW. It suffers from much of the same flaws, but makes up for them somewhat in atmosphere and general creativity. The final boss fight couldn't dream of being as cool as TWW's, but all in all, bosses like Stallord, Blizzeta, and Argorok bring it higher than the sum of TWW.

Having played but not beaten the first Zelda, though, I can probably vouch for its low spot on the Best Bosses list. They were simple, overused, and didn't take long to kill. I don't have a world of experience with them, so I still vote TWW.

...whereas TWW inspired TP's anticlimactic boss fights with how generally easy and simple they were. The bosses didn't feel like living, dangerous enemies to me. They just felt like glorified puzzles that had a small chance at killing you, and if you knew the answer to the puzzle, you were good to go. The only exception is the final boss fight, which is not just the best fight in the game, but possibly one of the best in the series. Still, it doesn't save TWW from its bleak fate of bosses.

TP is the second-worst Zelda game in terms of bosses, right behind TWW. It suffers from much of the same flaws, but makes up for them somewhat in atmosphere and general creativity. The final boss fight couldn't dream of being as cool as TWW's, but all in all, bosses like Stallord, Blizzeta, and Argorok bring it higher than the sum of TWW.
^ This, definitely. Took the words right out of my mouth. I have numerous problems with both The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and one of them is how they handle the boss fights. Between the two, The Wind Waker definitely does worse.

You describing them as glorified puzzles is very apt. That's exactly what they felt like to me, especially bosses like Jalhalla who literally can't ever hurt you if you don't move, barring the breath attack he does immediately after getting hit. Even when it's not like that, every boss is so sluggish and easily dodged that I just can't feel impressed in any way, even a little. They have great art-direction like the rest of the game, and some good concepts, but they're totally uninspired.

Also, a side note... I really don't feel Phantom Hourglass deserves to get so many votes. Some of the criticisms that game receives regarding being boring are deserved, but if there's anywhere it overcomes that, it's in its boss fights. They are relatively creative battles that usually make highly creative use of the touch-screen controls and dual-screen mechanics. They also make great use of the items, independent of the controls and mechanics.

T

Troubadour

I voted Twilight Princess, but I will say that Stallord, and Argorok were a pair of gems. They were a lot of fun, and I liked the atmosphere of both fights. Unfortunately, most of the other bosses in that game are total pushovers.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Also, a side note... I really don't feel Phantom Hourglass deserves to get so many votes. Some of the criticisms that game receives regarding being boring are deserved, but if there's anywhere it overcomes that, it's in its boss fights. They are relatively creative battles that usually make highly creative use of the touch-screen controls and dual-screen mechanics. They also make great use of the items, independent of the controls and mechanics.

Cyclok being the exception.

Kirino

Tatakae
You have no idea how much it bothers me that SS has almost as much votes as TP and PH...

Anyways, I think PH has the worst bosses. They were all very boring and easy. ST had far better bosses.

Twilight Princess or Legend of Zelda.
They were both too simple, but i'll give TP the upper hand because of it's amazing boss fights with Argorok, Morpheel, and Stallord.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Usualy i dont "hate" any Zelda bosses, and truly most have there good share off bad and good, but if i had to choose one it would have to be phantom hourglass, they just werent that good.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Every zelda game has good & bad bosses, But my least favorite bosses must be from SS because they simply weren't interesting to me and I was expecting more of a truly epic fight with the bosses like TP had. Where the bosses are 100x Link's size and you really feel a sense of accomplishment when taking them down. Not because they are hard (which they weren't) but because they felt epic just because of the huge boss rooms and bosses themselves and the bosses looked overall cool. While IMO the bosses in SS aren't that special like in TP nor are they hard bosses.. So Easy + Ugly (lulz) = Bottom of the list for me. While in TP it's Easy + Epic = Almost at the bottom. The only fight I thought was cool in SS was against the Imprisoned, because he's a huge boss and the fight feels really epic to me.

I don't understand. How does a boss being super large automatically make taking it down feel like a sense of accomplishment? I went over this in the OP. The bosses in TWW and TP lack creativity and challenge. The fights were lame and boring because of that. There was nothing to them. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. That's those two games' logic when it comes to the bosses, and that logic failed miserably. I think The Wanderer said it best when he called them "glorified puzzles".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom