• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda Game Has the Worst Bosses

Which Zelda Game Do You Think Has the Worst Bosses?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Ages

• Oracle of Seasons

• The Wind Waker

• Four Swords

• Four Swords Adventures

• The Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Some of you may remember my recent thread http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/zelda-game-has-best-bosses-35135.html. Out of sheer boredom with no relation to this thread whatsoever -- that was a joke -- I have decided to make a thread asking the opposite question. Which Zelda do you think has the worst bosses? For me, this is a somewhat tough decision between The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but I'm going to have to go with with TP. Here's why.

First off, nearly every boss is pathetic in design. Gameplay-wise, of course. They may look massive and impressive, but in all reality, they're really not. It's a true case of "the bigger they are, the harder they fall". With the exception of Blizzeta, Zant, and Ganondorf, every single battle follows that stupid and repetitive "stun phase" style that started plaguing the franchise with TWW. They have a glaringly obvious weak point, and it's insanely easy to figure out how to hit it. Why? Because you simply use the item found in the dungeon to do so. It's also, not surprisingly for Zelda, often an eye of some sort. Diababa, Fyrus, Morpheel, and Armogohma are the examples. That's half of the bosses, ladies and gentlemen. Again, it's no challenge whatsoever to figure out how to hit these weak points, and it's not just these bosses. Stallord and Argorok still have weak points and are sent hurdling helplessly to the ground to be mercilessly slaughtered. They are not fun boss fights because of this. But, of course, that's not the only reason they're suck-ish fights.

These boss battles are also easier than normal fights in the game. A great example is Fyrus. Shortly before the encounter with this massive, mutated Goron, a group of Bulblins ambush Link. There are at least ten of them, I'm sure of it. And this fight is tougher than the boss. That's ridiculous. That's beyond ridiculous -- it's embarrassing. Armogohma is even worse about this. The only easier boss in the entire series is Gohma from the original Legend of Zelda. Thing is, Armogohma, somehow, manages to be the absolute worst boss the Zelda franchise has ever spawned. It's a blight upon a series that was renowned for its boss fights back in the day. At least among fans, anyway. It's hard to believe Nintendo fell that far with its bosses in general in their best series, but to have a boss like that... This doesn't exclude the other bosses in the game. The only fights that were remotely challenging were Zant and the sword duel with Ganondorf, but even these were incredibly easy. You could escape them with minimal damage in both fights without even trying. It sickens me to think about it sometimes.

It's utterly baffling how bad the bosses were overall in this game. The Wind Waker didn't do a much better job with this, but at least its fights were a little more challenging. Although that's not saying much. I'm glad Nintendo finally came to their senses with Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword in (more ways than) the bosses category, but it's sad that it took practically hitting rock bottom to do so. Twilight Princess's boss fights will definitely be remembered in the future, but not for the right reasons. They'll serve as nothing more than reminders of why that style of boss fight should not exist. Why it's just bad and lazy design. Here's to hoping Nintendo keeps up the trend of bosses it's picked up with its latest two releases.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I don't personally think any one specific game had the worst bosses. Sure, every game has bosses I don't like or thought were bad but for every boss I didn't like there was one I did.

Take Twilight Princess for example. Sure, Fyrus and Armogohma are pretty bad but I loved Argorok and Stallord. In Ocarina of Time I loved Phantom Ganon and Volvagia but don't really care for the King Dodongo or Morpha. In Majora's Mask I enjoyed fighting Odolwa and Goht but hated Gyorg and Twinmold.

I don't think I could single out any one game as having the worst bosses because as I think about them, I'm remembering plenty of bosses I really liked in all of them.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Voted for The Wind Waker, quite hesitantly, though.

I don't hate TWW's bosses, but I do find them to be the ones I enjoy fighting the least. Dunno why, afraid to say.

The points you (JuicieJ) presented as to why Twilight Princess' bosses aren't very good are true, but personally, the style of the boss is a huge factor to me. The epic feeling of fighting TP's bosses takes up a huge portion of how much I like the boss, whether its gameplay design is good or poor. Wind Waker just didn't do this for me.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Voted for The Wind Waker, quite hesitantly, though.

I don't hate TWW's bosses, but I do find them to be the ones I enjoy fighting the least. Dunno why, afraid to say.

The points you (JuicieJ) presented as to why Twilight Princess' bosses aren't very good are true, but for me personally the style of the boss is a huge factor to me. The epic feeling of fighting TP's bosses takes up a huge portion of how much I like the boss, whether its gameplay design is good or poor. Wind Waker just didn't do this for me.

Twilight Princess's bosses' "epic" feel isn't quite so epic if you ask me. They LOOK epic, but their fights say otherwise. The fights are what matter. Looks aren't. A boss should look cool and intimidating, yes, but that's not going to make the gameplay portion of the fight better.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
From what I've played, I don't think any Zelda game had "bad" bosses, but if I had to choose one to be the worst I'd say TP. Don't get me wrong, I love many things about TP including its boss battle designs, but I think its last on the list of good boss fights. Its kind of like saying I prefer a million over nintynine-hundred thousand. Both are very good, I just recognize that a million is better. Bosses are graded on a multitude of levels and the problem with TP is that its bosses bring about the same atmosphere. They're all beautifully designed in both looks and battle, they seem unbeatable, some even bring back nostalgia, and defeating them is not difficult but still very creative. Its the last part that makes TP the "worst". The creativity and ingenuity of the things you had to do in TP was through the roof, but making every boss incredibly easy took away from that. I don't think there's anything wrong with TP bosses including their difficulty; I probably wouldn't have made them any other way, but they are the "worst" because the bosses in Zelda games vary while TP is giving you the same experience over and over again. Some other Zelda games may do this too in a way, but added to the fact that TP bosses are the easiest, which is a trait most Zelda fans do not like, I have to put TP last on the list.

I may change my mind about this later, but for now, I'm going with that answer.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword by far has the worst bosses in my opinion. They were uninteresting save Ghirahim III, and despite the stage for their battles being epic, they themselves weren't. All of the bosses were too terribly easy again for me. And for me, I just didn't care for them what with the backdrop of the game belying their existence. Not to mention, hype played a part in my decision, for me.

I think Boss-Battles are one area where Nintendo generally shines in the Zelda series, as I can't recall many Zelda bosses in any game that majorly disappointed me.
That being said, I was most disappointed by the bosses in Skyward Sword. I feel they just seemed much too small and too simple for my taste. For a game that was planned to be so big, the bosses just didn't shine too much for me. I really loved TP, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask bosses. I feel each of those games utilized the space in the boss room well and technique and real thinking was necessary to defeat each boss. In Skyward Sword I actually felt sort of "boxed-in" and cramped in most boss rooms. Instead of having tall ceilings with plenty of running space, many rooms felt too small. I especially didn't like the ones found in the Ancient Cistern and the first Fire Temple visited (the name escapes me at the moment).

I was surprised at how simple each boss battle seemed as well. I just seemed to know what to do during each fight almost immediately, and it all seemed to obvious for me; I would actually get bored half way through some battles, which no one wants to feel while playing Zelda!

That's just my personal opinion on the matter. To be fair, a lot of things in SS seemed disappointing for me because I personally feel and have stated before I don't believe it lived up to all of it's hype. The bosses just seemed too small, too simple, and too boring for me. I prefer the bigger, more elaborate bosses found in other installments of the series.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Skyward Sword. Honestly the only good fights were with Ghirahim, almost every other boss felt atmospheric but they were just bland and too easy.

Skyward Sword Honestly the only good fights were with Ghirahim, almost every other boss felt atmospheric but they were just bland and too easy.

How were they bland? I never really found them boring, nor did I find them too easy. Take Koloktos, for example- It took me a long while to figure out how to beat him, and Ghirahim in his first form was no real push-over for me, either. Even Tentalus was a bit of a puzzle for me to deal with in the beginning. I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you feel that way- would you care to elaborate? :)

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
How were they bland? I never really found them boring, nor did I find them too easy. Take Koloktos, for example- It took me a long while to figure out how to beat him, and Ghirahim in his first form was no real push-over for me, either. Even Tentalus was a bit of a puzzle for me to deal with in the beginning. I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you feel that way- would you care to elaborate? :)

Well, I guess bland isn't the right word I'm looking for. The concepts themselves were interesting, but I just found them to be boring for some reason. I can't really explain why, I just do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom