• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Quote??

I believe "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this" is the more popular saying. "Thank You Mario! But our princess is in another castle" may be from the more popular of the two game series, but the quote from the old man in Zelda can be applied to almost anything, making it more popular than the quote from Toad. We've already seen this quote used in Fable 3 and Epic Mickey, but we haven't, or I haven't, seen Toad's quote being used in a recent game.

Kybyrian

Obviously, "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" It's used all over the place... and has been manipulated so many times. You probably should have added in something else, that something else being, "All your base are belong to us," from the video game Zero Wing(I believe, don't quote me on that).

Kybyrian

I'm almost positive there was a mission or something in AC: Brotherhood called "Princess in Another Castle", but I could be out of my mind.

I believe the name of the achievement for finishing DNA Sequence 4 is named "Principessa in Another Castello," a clear reference to "Princess in Another Castle".

Darknut

time to panic
I believe "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this" is the more popular saying. "Thank You Mario! But our princess is in another castle" may be from the more popular of the two game series, but the quote from the old man in Zelda can be applied to almost anything, making it more popular than the quote from Toad. We've already seen this quote used in Fable 3 and Epic Mickey, but we haven't, or I haven't, seen Toad's quote being used in a recent game.

The Zelda quote may be able to be used in more situations but does that really mean people are more familiar with it?

Kybyrian

The Zelda quote may be able to be used in more situations but does that really mean people are more familiar with it?

It usually does. Think about it, the Zelda quote is applied to more situations, and therefore it is exploited more often. You'll see a lot more references to "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" because it can be applied to a lot more. "Princess in another castle" isn't able to be applied to as many situations, and therefore is used less. Something that appears less often is less likely to be well-known.

Djinn

and Tonic
I believe the Mario quote
"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"

Is the more well known of the two mostly because Mario was the more popular and successful series, the phrase was repeated many more times in the game, and the game was packaged with the system so most people owning an NES would be familiar with it.

However the Zelda quote has become popular mostly because of the ridiculousness of the old man handing Link a small wood sword to go slay all the hundreds of minions, monsters, dragons, and rescue a princess. That and the rest of the old man quotes are known for their terrible translations that leave them making no sense at all. So they share the same fan love as the well known "All your Base" quote. Sentence fragments, oddly worded unintelligible phrases, and complete translation screwups either leave you confused or just laughing. After a while it would not have been strange at all to find a hidden room somewhere with an old man saying something like "Rock on Mountain donkey donkey donkey donkey."

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
The Mario quote is definatly known to more people than the Zelda quote but it's easy to find a way to add "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this!" into a conversation. A few days after Thanksgiving my mom said to "Take this." when she was handing me a piece of pumpkin pie. I told her "You forgot to say 'it's dangerous to go alone.'"

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
You could also argue that "It's a secret to everybody" rivals both of the quotes Darknut mentioned. If you do a Google image search on the phrase a lot of stuff comes up, including purchasable T-shirts and even coffee mugs:

http://www.cafepress.com/+its_a_secret_to_everybody_mug,408568403
You also took what I was going to post. I've seen lots of LoZ shirts and other things with the It's dangerous quote than the Mario quote also going with Mario quotes. People have taken Peach's Taunt in SSMB: Melee "This is fun" out of context many times where I go to school.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I personally think "It's dangerous to go alone, take this!" is more popular. Sure, it may be from the less popular series, but "It's dangerous to go alone, take this!" is used a lot more than "Sorry Mario, but our princess is in another castle." or at least I THINK that's the case.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Thank you, I will buy one now. XD

Anyway, even though the Mario quote is from a more popular series, I'd have to say that the Zelda one is more well known. The Zelda qupte can be stuck on various things during a conversation, such as if you give someone something they forget- a coat, car keys, wallet, etc- you can tell them that quote.

The "Our princess is in another castle" quote can be used, but the Zelda one can be used more commonly.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Which video game quote do you think is more popular?
"It's dangerous to go alone! Take this" -The Legend of Zelda
or
"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"- Super Mario Bros.

I'd say the latter. More people have succeeded at Mario than have even played Zelda, sad to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom