• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Which Graphics Extreme Do You Prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Cartoon styled graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Realistic graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
While on this site, I read that people complain that the WW graphics were to cartoony. People also say they dislike the TP graphics saying that they were to gritty. If you had to use one, which would it be?

Sorry if there is a similar thread.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
"Realistic graphics" shouldn't be a poll option. No Zelda game, not even Twilight Princess, has had an even remotely realistic art style.

Anyway, out of the Zelda games in existence, I prefer the more colorful styles, specifically Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword. Zelda is a whimsical fantasy series, and dark pallets like that of Twilight Princess just don't suit that. Those kinds of art styles are more akin to series like Silent Hill. Zelda should always have vibrant colors to fit its whimsical tone. That's not to say it should always be cartoony, but it's absolutely saying it should never be dull.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Realistic may not be the best way to describe it, but by "realistic" I meant detailed.

And it turns out, I accidentally made this thread twice. Oops:O

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Realistic. If they want to use cell shading, fine, but I just can't get immersed they way they did it with tWW. No world is that colorful.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
But I have to agree with Ventus. Realism is the "top dog" in this situation. Realistic graphics would work great for the Zelda series. :)

Stana Katic disapproves of your sheep-like tendencies. :rolleyes:
tumblr_mklxos5eDN1roxoq5o1_500.gif

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
I LOVE The Wind Waker's cel-shaded graphics!!! They are so beautiful! And it's not like cel-shading means that everything has to be bright and cheery, the Cursed Great Sea still looked amazing and still had the scary, dark atmosphere despite having cartoony, cel-shaded graphics. On the other hand, do the dark-gritty graphics of Twilight Princess ever manage to get a peaceful, light-hearted atmosphere?? Cel-shading is much more dynamic and versatile as well :)

I prefer Twilight Princess's graphics over The Wind Wsker's.

TWW's cell shading sacrificed graphical detail-the Great Sea was a large body of water with no apparent depth, for example. While Twilight Princess's graphics are rough around the edges, the game is permeated by a sense of tension absent from other installments bar Majora's Mask.

My vote goes towards the realism option.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I much prefer the cel-shaded visuals of The Wind Waker. The bright colors really brought the world to life, and that helped immerse me in the game much more. As opposed to "realistic" graphics, which I don't really like much. Zelda is a fantasy series; "realistic" graphics don't really fit in my mind. Plus, after Twilight Princess (the closest thing we've had to "realistic"), I don't want Nintendo to try that style ever again; I really didn't like it.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Realistic hands down. I appreciate the cartoony style and I'm glad they did it for WW, but enhancing what TP started is the way to go. I'm having a hard time forming into words as to why, but considering the reaction people gave after seeing the Zelda tech demo for the Wii-U, I don't really question my judgement.

This doesn't mean I want to see cartoony style completely leave. I think the lighter Zelda games can stay with this type of art style. But for the ones that are trying to be more serious or more relating to OoT, definitely realistic.

Realistic may not be the best way to describe it, but by "realistic" I meant detailed.

I'd say realistic is the right word, though detailed works fine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom