• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Which Game Had the Best Relationship Between Link and Zelda?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
You mean the Twili that Link never even showed interest in?

Bro, did you miss the scene where Ilia got her memory back?

Yep. Everyone was happy, yippee. I don't know...Ilia's always felt pretty distant...especially compared to Midna who is the only female I've seen Link get physical with until ST. Unless you count the two times he and Zelda kissed.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Yep. Everyone was happy, yippee. I don't know...Ilia's always felt pretty distant...especially compared to Midna who is the only female I've seen Link get physical with until ST. Unless you count the two times he and Zelda kissed.

I agree. Honestly, I thought Midna was supposed to be the implied love-interest and Ilia was as much your driving force as the rest of the Ordon children. Though, I personally don't really care for Ilia, Midna, TP Zelda, or really any of the girls who were anywhere near Link's age. Ashei was okay, I guess, but I had the same problem with her that I do with Zelda: we don't really get to know her. I kind of prefer to think of him as a lone wolf for that game.

DarkestLink

I always saw OoT Link as the lone wolf...Navi is like a robot, the sages become distant to him and--let's face it--there's too many girls to pair him off with. XD

in Skyward Sword, Link sees Zelda a couple of times were she tells him that she has a destiny. There's very little in the way of building the relationship

UM!!! The first thing that happens is her bird wakes link up and she starts playfully calling him sleepy head, then they meet at the statue of the goddess, and unlike all the other zeldas, starts showing concern on if he wins the race (when the father shows up)

seems pretty friendly to me!

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Yeah I think SS takes the cake here no contest. Not only in the love-relationship contest, but in the friend-relationship contest as well. This game is definitely near the top of the titles for the actual amount of interaction Link and Zelda have together, and they clearly show multiple signs of affection towards each other. Zelda has a cute nickname for Link- sleepyhead, they have been friends since childhood, Link is absolutely distraught (so was I) when Zelda seals herself away, the whole quest was for her in the first place.

I mean CMON, the theme that plays when they are together in the sky is literally titles ROMANCE THEME

DarkestLink

UM!!! The first thing that happens is her bird wakes link up and she starts playfully calling him sleepy head, then they meet at the statue of the goddess, and unlike all the other zeldas, starts showing concern on if he wins the race (when the father shows up)

seems pretty friendly to me!

Except it's...just...already there. There's no buildup. There's no when and why about it. It's just...already established.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I like their relationship in Spirit Tracks. They worked together closely, Link became very familiar with Zelda's soul... They spent the adventure together, unlike in other games in the series where it's Zelda working in the background and Link doing all the hero-work. For a lot of Spirit Tracks, Zelda was right in the thick of it with him and showed a lot of concern for him. I got the feeling of them really caring for each other by the end of that game.

Of course I will be your personal engineer, Lady Zelda! (Even though my real-life player is a female who isn't into females...)

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Except it's...just...already there. There's no buildup. There's no when and why about it. It's just...already established.

Does it have to have buildup? It's stated that they've been close friends forever. If Nintendo put a great big honkin flashback cutscene showing them as young kids/their backstory, fans would rage because it would take too long for the gameplay to start. And there would be less to work with for the fanficers. Just saying how close they've been all their lives is enough.

DarkestLink

Does it have to have buildup? It's stated that they've been close friends forever. If Nintendo put a great big honkin flashback cutscene showing them as young kids/their backstory, fans would rage because it would take too long for the gameplay to start. And there would be less to work with for the fanficers. Just saying how close they've been all their lives is enough.

Build up would be nice, but it isn't necessary IF they explore their relationship and what makes them attracted to each other, but they didn't. I care about as much for their relationship as I do for Kukiel's parent's relationship. It's just something established in game that we never explore.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Build up would be nice, but it isn't necessary IF they explore their relationship and what makes them attracted to each other, but they didn't. I care about as much for their relationship as I do for Kukiel's parent's relationship. It's just something established in game that we never explore.

I felt that the relationship was explored in a less traditional way, but still explored. Sure, they didn't spend every waking moment together, but I think the relationship was shown just as effectively. I find this especially true from Link's POV. If you look at the dialogue options given at the beginning of the game, anytime he talks to another character on the surface, we're almost always given the option to ask about Zelda. At the end of the first temple, he actually remembers her and is reminded what is at stake. He's not just looking to save the world, he's looking for a way to save his friend--and he's willing to chase her to the ends of the world to do it. She's constantly brought up and constantly a concern of his throughout the entire game, which is something surprisingly rare for the Zelda series. I found that I never forgot about SS Zelda, and unlike a lot of other characters Nintendo was trying to push us to care about, she was always at the back of my mind. Most of the other games (Aside from ST, OoT and TWW and perhaps more that I just can't think of) just introduced her (or another character who we're supposed to care about), then she disappears until the climax. Even Minish Cap, which also featured the two of them as close friends, only managed to show them together at the very beginning and then retired poor Zelda until the end of the game without so much as a glance her way.

If you never saw that in the relationship, then that's fine. There are some relationships that I utterly despise that everyone else seems to adore in the franchise, so to each his own. But frankly, I think it's not only the best relationship between Link and Zelda, but that it's one of the best-shown relationships in the entire series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom