• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Which Game Had the Best Relationship Between Link and Zelda?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Hence the term "moreso." While the sailclothe wasn't specifically meant for Link, I think it's pretty safe to assume Zelda wanted to present it to Link as a gift. Not to mention, it was made by Zelda. So its more like a Personal gift than the True Master Sword.

True, true.

I don't think it makes a difference in all that's been said, though. It's not like a gift determines a relationship's strength.

G

gerudotribegirl

I would say Spirit Tracks had the strongest relationship between Link and Zelda gameplaywise. Even though in Skyward Sword Link and Zelda already have a connection before the game started, in Spirit Tracks you see Link and Zelda grow closer to each other and learn more about them as the game progresses.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Disagree. You have a bad relationship with your brother. They're barely even close. If I'm talking with my sister about something serious I might get close, I hug her, kiss her cheek, stuff like that. Nothing wrong with affection between siblings as long as it's platonic. Now your signature picture, that's another story.

Xyph... there is a ridiculous amount of sexual tension in that moment...

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Also, Ilia's concern for Epona seems like an obvious cover up for how she feels about Link. She wants Link to be the best Person he can be, which is why she gets concerned when he doesn't treat others (or Epona) correctly. She wants Link to be safe throughout his journey, which is why she is infuriated when she sees Epona injured, a clear sign that Link was doing something dangerous.

But this is only speculation, and a lot of it has to be inferred. Yes, that absolutely could've been the reason behind her actions, and it also very well could not have been. It's not specified, which makes her intentions open to interpenetration. Maybe I might've liked her more if this idea had actually been confirmed to be the case. Maybe she could've said something after regaining her memory. She didn't have to straight-up say "Hey, I'm in love with you.", but she could have confessed that yes, the reason she snapped at Link was because she was concerned for him. But instead after her memory is restored, she's brushed aside, practically disappearing from the plot all together. Though being brushed aside isn't the fault of her character and I don't blame her for that, her intentions weren't made definite enough for me to think too highly of her. Instead I just thought of her as another whiny damsel in a game that already had a ton of damsels in distress.

If you like her, that's great. But to me, she was just too poorly executed to be an enjoyable character.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
But this is only speculation, and a lot of it has to be inferred. Yes, that absolutely could've been the reason behind her actions, and it also very well could not have been. It's not specified, which makes her intentions open to interpenetration. Maybe I might've liked her more if this idea had actually been confirmed to be the case. Maybe she could've said something after regaining her memory. She didn't have to straight-up say "Hey, I'm in love with you.", but she could have confessed that yes, the reason she snapped at Link was because she was concerned for him. But instead after her memory is restored, she's brushed aside, practically disappearing from the plot all together. Though being brushed aside isn't the fault of her character and I don't blame her for that, her intentions weren't made definite enough for me to think too highly of her. Instead I just thought of her as another whiny damsel in a game that already had a ton of damsels in distress.

If you like her, that's great. But to me, she was just too poorly executed to be an enjoyable character.

While I do believe that speculation needs to be specified, I don't think they could've made this more obvious without being blatant and that would've destroyed the entire premise they were building. It was pretty obvious that Ilia was supposed to be Link's love interest and making Ilia a teenage girl with no mother further helps lead one to understand her mentality. I've also concluded by watching many "behind the scenes" that some things about characters aren't revealed because most would find it irrelevant and it would ruin the immersion. It would be really cheesy and unnecessary if TP made Ilia say "Link, I only complain so much because I care." It also ruins the concept because if you have to explain something like that, it makes it less real considering people actually act like this without taking time to understand why. It'd be similar to saying a very funny joke and then explaining what it means. While explaining may make it more clear, it kind of ruins the entire experience.

In conclusion, there's more evidence to support this so its not MERE speculation and the reason they didn't go into it is, most likely, its irrelevant and doing so would ruin the immersion.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The reason why I think Ilia wasn't used to her full potential is because Nintendo had too many relationships and bonds to cater too.

Not only was Link this heroic role model to his younger peers, he was also an honorary beacon of hope to the people of Hyrule (who recognised him as a true hero, unlike other games), he had a mutual and mature understanding with Princess Zelda and a love/hate, topsy-turny relationship with Midna. Nintendo couldn't really put all of their effort into making Ilia Link's love interest although it was breifly implied they had such a thing going on.

I thought it was mainly a real, strong friendship and understanding between the two and I think Ilia realised that, when she did have her memory restored, that she had to let Link go and fulfill his duty.

I was rather curious about which game executed the whole "Link x Zelda" thing the best. Now I'm not just strictly talking about a relationship based around love but just a relationship in general.

I'm a big advocate of having a stronger bond between Zelda and Link as I feel it can really add to the game. For one, [Princess] Zelda is usually our, or Link's, main motivation to go on his quest. By making this stronger connection between the two it can really add a certain motivation for us, the player.

So anyway, what game do you think featured the best relationship between Link and Zelda?

Since I'm not really an advocate of this, I would have to say that Majora's Mask features the best relationship between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom