• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Which first, Shadow or Spirit?

Z

ZeldaNut

I recently just did the Water Temple before the Fire Temple. You need the Bow for the single golden eye switch in the Water Temple, but you don't need anything from the Fire Temple (ie. the Megaton Hammer) to beat it.

And I have beaten the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple a long time ago. I don't remember if I got the Hover Boots first or not.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Yes you need the arrows in the Water Temple there an Eye Switch that leads to some important room.

I Tend to do the Spirit Temple first then the Shadow Temple.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I change up the order I beat them in every once in a while but lately such as on my 3 heart run what i did was I beat all of the things you need to enter the spirit temple and the shadow temple and then I beat them (shadow then spirit). For some reason this seemed quicker but im not sure.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I just skip through each dungeon, only getting the items, and then finally go back and do everything. I don't do anything in any specific order. Sometimes i do Jabu Jabu's Belly before I finish the Dodongo's Cavern. But, getting back to the Shadow/Spirit Temples... I usually go get the Silver Gauntlests and the Mirror Shield before I do anything else, so I usually do the Spirit Temple first.

Yes you can do the Spirit and Shadow temples in a different order.
I have known this for a long time.
It says you cannot get to the Spirit temple unless you have the hover boots as you need them to cross the sand at the start of the desert.
Thats not true.
You can use the Longshot and shoot it at the boxes at the other side of the sinking sand and then you are pulled across.

You do however need the Lens of Truth.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
Wait, Bongo Bongo is the hardest boss in the game? I always thought that Phantom Ganondorf was the hardest. I could never pick the right one that was coming out of the painting. Anyway, I always did the shadow first because I always visited Kakariko Village VERY often, so I felt pretty compelled to help the people of the village. Also Axle, you can do the water temple before the fire temple too.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
The official guidebook says Spirit Temple is last. Nothing more needed. But, if you want evidence, it's pretty much implied that you need the Hover Boots for the Desert Wasteland. We know we don't, but they allow you to not sink, so...

You just said that you need the hover boots to cross it so you dont sink, and then said we all know that you don't. And who cares what the official guide book says? It can't be wrong? Nintendo isn't always right I hope you know. >.>

When you beat the WT Navi's hint leads you to Kakariko Village, so its Shadow - Spirit officially but if one wants to play the other way around, more power to you. I like playing it the official way anyways, the events with the Spirit Temple seem to set up the final showdown with Gannon quite nicely imo.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

One of the great things about Ocarina of Time is that you can do certain dungeons in a different order from the intended order. It's like the whole element in the original Legend of Zelda where you could do the dungeons in essentially any order you want except for the last dungeon, despite them having a numerical order. Ocarina of Time does a good job at maintaining this while still effectively developing the story and the basic in-game chronology and cinematic value, whereas Twilight Princess may have focused too much on the in-game chronology, losing that balance. There seems to be a pretty good balance of that in The Wind Waker where I'm not even sure anymore what order the Earth and Wind Temples are supposed to go in, although, as you can see from the layout of the game, you choose the order for similar dungeons within a confined part of the story, rather than the order of the dungeons being changeable all throughout the story.

Z

ZeldaNut

I did the Temples in this order: Forest, Water, Spirit, Fire, and Shadow (to do next).

You need the Bow for every other dungeon. No point in getting that far in the Forest Temple, and leave it unbeaten. The Longshot is required for Spirit and Shadow Temples. There is one part in the Spirit Temple where you can optionally use the Megaton Hammer from the Fire Temple, but it isn't necessary. So this order works.

I remember I did the room in the Spirit Temple (rolling rocks and silver rupees), and I didn't have the Hover Boots, and I DID NOT use any unorthodox tricks. It was pretty easy. So what are you guys talking about?

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
I've always done the Shadow Temple first. It makes the most sense to me due to the clues in the game. (Navi's instructions, learning the Nocturne of Shadow first, attack on Kakariko, etc.) But I don't deny that you can Spirit Temple forest, especially since the medallions put the Spirit Temple first and you don't really need any item you get in the Shadow to complete the Spirit, although the Hover Boots are helpful, but not necessary.

SheikahSoul

Decadence
I grew fond of watching my broder doing this order on the temples: Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit and Shadow.

I believe that is also the right order considering that giant platform in the Temple of Time were the Master sword is and also in Chamber of sages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom