• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Re-reading The Amber Spyglass for the first time since it came out. Far more thought-provoking now than when I was in middle school.

Reading Pure by Julianna Baggott. I just got it yesterday, so I'm only, like, 70 pages into it, but it's pretty good so far. It's about a post-apocalyptic world after a series of nuclear bombs' detonations [a spin on 'MAD'] in contrast to an isolated dome [that somehow blocked out gamma radiation... /logic]. But anyways... I'm too early in the book to know the absolute plot except that the two main characters--one a "wretch" from the ruins, one a "Pure" from the Dome--are going to discover some corruption in the scheme of things.

Also, weirdest thing ever: almost all of the people living outside the dome who survived the Detonations and were in contact with an object... the exposure to the electromagnetic pulse something-something altered their molecular structure and literally fused the people to random objects. The main character, Pressia, got her hand replaced with a doll's head. Eieee...

But, yeah. Good book so far. Other than a few inconsistencies and illogical occurrences here and there; all-in-all, most of the science behind it could be seen possible--a stretch, but Baggott clearly combined research with imagination, so I'm not going to complain.

I recently started Things Fall Apart.

It's a different look into the African continent from a native Nigerian. Customs are discussed in detail and the threatened native way of life if juxtaposed when European missionaries come abroad. Although the author, Chinua Achebe, is an African, he seems to condemn certain tribal traditions.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
The City and The City by China Mieville
Winner of the World Fantasy, Arthur C. Clarke, and Hugo Awards for Best Novel.

I don't think I can go wrong here.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I was gonna finally pick up the sequel to a Runescape novel I really enjoyed, but the subject matter has suddenly gotten extremely dismal so I shelved it and went for a Guildwars novel that is also pretty good. But my reservation of Jurassic Park has come in at the library so I'll be reading that for a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom