• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Right now it's "The Catcher in the Rye." So far I'm not impressed at all. I'm more than 100 pages in (out of 232) and there is still no plot in sight. I was hoping for more from a "classic" but maybe I'll be able to take away something from it.

I'm reading Thank You for Arguing by Jay Heinricks. It's a book about rhetoric, but it is written directly to a modern crowd, making it loads more interesting than the rhetoric textbook I read last summer. It's pretty much the best book ever written because it's the best book ever written. Not that you asked.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
About to read Dune for the first time.
Let me known what you thought, I read it recently for the first time myself.

Prisoners of Geography
Tim Marshall

This is a book about how geopolitics is shaped by the constraints and necessities of physical geography. This is a topic I find endlessly fascinating (there are some excellent Youtube channels that discuss it like Wendover Productions and The Caspian Report) and this book is a smoothly-written, well explained look at the subject.

Want to know why Russia invaded the Crimea? Why Europe came to dominate the world? Why Africa has struggled to develop despite its abundant resources? What China's long-term game plan is?

Look at the geography. The rivers, mountains, deserts, forests, climate, and coastlines. That's where the answers are. That's where they've always been and where they always will be.

Ninja

Well well well
I've been into personal finance and independence in the past year or so, and it's really changed our lives for the better. I've picked up finance and non-fiction books lately, and here's a laundry list of what I've read so far:

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki - 4/10, did not enjoy it as much as I wanted. Author had a conceited attitude through the book and didn't offer much realistic goals for my taste.

Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley - 8/10, really enjoyed it. Put it in perspective that millionaires and the wealthy do not live like the general public thinks they do.

Total Money Makeover (audio book) by Dave Ramsey - 9/10, first one I listened to and honestly changed my perception about money. Huge fan of his YT channel.

Complete Guide to Money by Dave Ramsey - 7/10, same principals as the book above just further explained in detail.

Love Your Life Not Theirs by Rachel Cruze - Not finished yet, currently reading through it, makes a ton of sense.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
There's a "Rate the last TV Show" and a "Rate the last Movie" thread but no "Rate the last Book" thread.

Finished Ready Player One the other day.

It's... good, but flawed. Flawed so obviously and consistently that part of me doesn't want to say it's good, but good enough that I can't in all honestly say it's bad.

There's a heart to it that just about pokes through the weight of the premise. The whole 80s reference thing both facilitates the book and suffocates it. It's a delicate balancing act that Ernest Cline doesn't manage a lot of the time.

I'd say it's worth reading, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom