• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

I recently read "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub and "Black House" by the same authors. Pretty good books, both kind of tie into "The Dark Tower" series which is one of my favorite book series out there.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Currently in the middle of both Hallam Foe by Peter Jinks, and About a Boy by Nick Hornby.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Actually a horrible book so far. Hating the writing style. Makes me cringe. For school though, so I have to truck on

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
To Kill a Mockingbird.

I wuit on it a fee years ago because nothing happened and it was boring and took to long to get to the meat of it. Now for school I havr to read it and 100+ pages in and I am barely learning about the meat of the story (a subject I find fascinating).

As a writer, you must hsve exposition but not that much.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I recently finished the Bible in 90 days, for which I was taking a break from Mein Kampf. After Mein Manor, I caught up on all of my podcasts and then Audible-ed (which is how I consume nearly all of my books now) a book called Temperance Creek, an amature memoir written by a semi-hippy woman who moved out into the Oregon desert with a stranger just back from Nam and lived there for a while. Provided the next cataclysm doesn't occur for another thousand years, it's entirely possible that places like the desert won't be lonely for much longer. As such, I value my time in the desert so much, it's the best place on earth. It was a good book, it's suggest it for anyone who loves and had a connection to the Oregon desert. If not...probably skip it.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Just finished both Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz and I'm now midway through Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman.

I just finished The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I recommend to all. It's a beautiful book.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
God Emperor of Dune

Book 4 in Frank Herbert's Dune series chronicling one man's journey to become a giant space worm... and also eternal emperor of all time and space. It's pretty cool actually, but it's also Dune so it's thoroughly baked.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Empire: How Britain Made The Modern World by Niall Ferguson

Just finished this last night. It's a fantastic book on one of the most important subjects in history. Like it or not, the British Empire is the most significant thing to happen in the last three hundred years (sorry France and America but it's true) for so many reasons and this book does a great job of examining what those reasons are and how they changed from the 17th to the 20th centuries. It's also extremely refreshing to read a history of the Empire that doesn't shy away from the crimes of the Empire, but also doesn't condemn it for them. Did the Empire trade slaves? Yes it did, and it fought wars to maintain that trade. Did the Empire abolish the slave trade? Yes it did, and it fought wars to force France, Spain, Portugal, and the Dutch to abolish it, too. Did the Empire hold sovreignty over foreign peoples? Yes it did, and enforced its rule with military force. Did the Empire allow its Dominions and colonies varying degrees of self-governance? Yes it did, and thus sowed the seeds of representative democracy to every corner of the globe. The Empire was both good and bad, harsh and fair, deplorable and laudable. It changed over its long history, in many ways and for many reasons, and by the Second World War, while America was demanding the Empire be broken apart, it stood in stark contrast to the other empires of the day: Japan, Germany, Italy, all nightmares unleashed on mankind, all indefensible, all showing the British Empire for the moderate and largely beneficial system that it was. Other empires, like the Spanish, found civilisations of plenty and looted them for gold, for silver, for slaves. Britain, late the empire building game, found seemingly worthless lands and built them into nations, gave them infrastructure in the form of roads, ports, and railways, gave them institutions in the form of universities, schools, hospitals, and a civil service. Britain left in its wake a string of parliamentary democracies and the notion of free trade (something the Empire enforced for over a hundred years).

If I'm gushing it's because I find the contemporary trend of declaring empires as inherently bad through cherry-picked arguments incredibly frustrating. It is undeniable that the world at large has benfited from the British Empire. Does that mean the Empire has an unblemished record? Of course not, and we should never forget the atrocities commited in its name. But neither should we forget the wonderful things the Empire did. History is not black and white, and it was so good for me to find a book that understands this.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Started reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson again. This is my third attempt and I'm going to finish it this time, I swear.

Muppet Treasure Island is one of my favourite movies (and has my all-time favourite movie pirate, Tim Curry as Long John Silver) and I've always wnated to read the book. I started reading it twice in the past but gave up at the same point each time. I was enjoying the book immensely both times and I think my issue with it was that I was reading a free version on a first generation iPod Touch (the one that didn't even have built-in speakers). Try reading a work of classic fiction on a three inch screen. It's not fun. This time I'm on my Kindle so I won't have that issue. Yo ho ho!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Eden's Gate: The Reborn

So I decided to take up reading now that I feel less **** and have more time to do so. I had a friend reccomend this to me as I love fantasy and VR.

The story follows the main character who becomes trapped in a fantasy VR game in which he and 5 million other people are stuck within after they are killed by the VR headsets deliberately as was the plan of the creator.

Very much enjoying so far. The main character is not some OP guy, and he makes some bad choices which makes him seem more believable which makes a change from SAO. Which I also liked but if you are wondering if they would be too similar, I am telling you this is not the case.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I'm reading Anime: A Complete History by Jonathan Clements. It's a fun read if you're interested in the growth of anime outside of style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom