• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm just about to start reading Nation by Terry Pratchett because after finishing the entire Discworld series, Good Omens, and A Blink of the Screen I still find myself unable to read anyone else.

Pratchett is the source of my power.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Fahrenheit 451 - 10/10

Overall, it was an excellent book, and a classic that I believe everyone should have a chance to read. Yes, this was a required reading for school, but I actually enjoyed it to some extent. The similarities from Bradbury's concepts to present day situations is ridiculously uncanny.

The one thing I'm not sure I could completely wrap my head around was the fact that Montag had feelings for Mildrid all along. She practically couldn't give two ***** for the man, as she pretty much turned him for housing all those books (but I suppose that did save his life). All she ever cared for was her TV family, and she even forgot where they met (which Montag remembers at the end). I just... Don't fully understand why he even cared about her all the way up to the end. Was it the heat of the moment? I can't tell.

Incubus

Bring that beat back
I just finished A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. It's a book that is set from the early 1990's-2004 in Chechnya. It's about a young girl who's father was taken by the secret police, and two doctors who try to protect her during that period of uncertainty. It's a very well researched book, an emotional read, and one of the most beautifully written novels I've read in a very long time. One of my favorite reads of 2013.

Eragon, first book of the Inheritance Cycle.

It's... okay. I respect the author a lot for graduating high-school at 15 in his homeschooling and writing the book before he was even an adult. That's super impressive, but from what I've read so far I guess all I can say is I can tell that he was that young. It's fairly amateurish writing -- not bad, just amateurish -- and just not particularly impressive. I am still enjoying it so meh. Any book where one of the major antagonists is a pair of bug men clearly got something right.

Flatbush

The Platypus
What an astute observation sir but I assure you the successive entrys in the series are absolutely amazing. Not to conflict with what you said of course you are absolutely 100% correct You should like the communist themes placed about the series. I wish you luck Friend.

Eragon, first book of the Inheritance Cycle.

It's... okay. I respect the author a lot for graduating high-school at 15 in his homeschooling and writing the book before he was even an adult. That's super impressive, but from what I've read so far I guess all I can say is I can tell that he was that young. It's fairly amateurish writing -- not bad, just amateurish -- and just not particularly impressive. I am still enjoying it so meh. Any book where one of the major antagonists is a pair of bug men clearly got something right.
Gonna actually revise this and say that the politics stuff going on during the last 100 pages or so that I've just gotten into is actually fairly interesting and has grabbed my attention. xP

Trigonometric Delights by Eli Maor. A book that's basically about the development and important aspects of Trigonometry and its impact on science and culture.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
"In the Land of Invented Languages" by Arika Okrent. It's an examination of invented languages; those made for pratical reasons and those made for fiction, and the sub-culture surrounding them. It's a great historical and cultural examination of experimental linguistics. It's one of those non-fiction books that's incredibly smart and funny at the same time.

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
The last book I read was for my University Seminar class. The book was entitled Kaffir Boy and was written by Mark Mathabane. The book is based on the author's childhood back on South Africa when the apartheid system was still being enacted upon the daily lives of thousands of Africans. I actually met the author back in November when he came to visit TAMIU and he told us some very inspirational words. One his words was "No matter how the situation is, there is always someone who loves you because you are still alive". Mr. Mathabane is truly an inspiration to me and the rest of the TAMIU students. :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom