• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Where Will A Link to the Past II Fit in the Timeline?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i dont think it will be the dark world quite like we think, yes the "dark World" has been confirmed, but that means nothing when it comes to what version of the dark world/sacred realm we will get in the actual game!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Why is everyone saying ALTTP2 is a sequel? I thought it was undetermined.
It was confirmed to be a sequel, however there are some signs that could point to the game taking place before the original events of A Link to the Past , I would still go with the idea that time travel is present in this game though.

Nintendo will fit it in somehow. They're quite good at manipulating their own chronology, as we saw in the Hyrule Historia where they plumped all the older Zelda games, whose location in the split time line people had been debating for years, into a completely separate branch. I totally had something similar in my personal timeline years before it was revealed, by the way. :cool:

Anyway, I doubt the new LttP game will bother to tie in with the old GameBoy games, seeing as those were pretty self contained and didn't touch much on the events of the first Link to the Past.

F

Fauxetrot

I want it to tale place before. I would love to travel into the Dark World and beat up Gannon with the full triforce.

I personally think ALttP2 is going to be a prequel to the original ALttP.

The Master Sword is sleeping at the end of aLttP, yet Link has it in ALttP2 so it could be that its being used before it gets put to sleep.
Also the new 'Failure Timeline' kind of needs in-game kudos since its based on nothing, i think the opening moments of ALttP2 will go something like 'There was a great battle and the Hero of Time got owned'. just to give it some sense of in-game credibility.

Aonuma: Hmm, the Failure timeline is based on nothing...
Shigsy: Hmm, make a cutscene mentioning the death of the Hero of Time and just remake ALttP with a few gimmicks.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
you know that just crossed my mind link got the master sword in the oracles so whos not to say he didnt keep it

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
thats my thing, hes been chosen by the triforce, why would he not be able to grab the Master Sword when ever he wants, as far as OoX, its weird that what ever game you played second that you could get the Master Sword, which i have never accepted, due to you being in different lands and not in hyrule.

that being said there is but one story to tell for this link, that is unless that last link died after LA, but i dont like that, this is MY link, the one i grew up with, we seen him become the hero, we seen him prove himself to the triforce, we seen..... what ever the hell LA implied LOL. we have but one story to tell, and thats link return home, then for all i care they can kill him off making him give his life to save hyrule, Making him a true Legend and Hero of the people, and it would be one link we have finally seen come full circle and end his story.

I dont mind them killing my link off, but finish his story, thats all i want!

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Well, part of the timeline goes like this: ALTTP then LA. Since this new Zelda game is a sequel to ALTTP, then it will fall after it. The game might even explain what Link is doing in a boat at the beginning of LA, by having Link set sail at the end of ALBW. But only time will tell.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I personally think ALttP2 is going to be a prequel to the original ALttP.

The Master Sword is sleeping at the end of aLttP, yet Link has it in ALttP2 so it could be that its being used before it gets put to sleep.
Also the new 'Failure Timeline' kind of needs in-game kudos since its based on nothing, i think the opening moments of ALttP2 will go something like 'There was a great battle and the Hero of Time got owned'. just to give it some sense of in-game credibility.
To be honest things don't add up, yes but this game has been "confirmed" to be a sequel so for the most part it will take place after the events of A Link to the Past, providing that Nintendo isn't flat out lying to its fan base. Now i do think a way to justify these oddities is for this game ti include some kind of time travel, it's a long shot but I feel it's the only logical way to explain these.
Spirit of Rutela said:
]Aonuma: Hmm, the Failure timeline is based on nothing...
Shigsy: Hmm, make a cutscene mentioning the death of the Hero of Time and just remake ALttP with a few gimmicks.
To be honest I think the Decline Timeline is the best of the lot, for one, the Adult Timeline has a great start with The Wind Waker, but greatly falls due to a insignificant events in Phantom Hourglass and a very lacklustre story in Spirit Tracks. The Child Timeline includes three games which barely connect in any way. Sure the CT includes two great games but the sheer lack of continuity and connections plus the strange placement of Four Swords Adventures , makes this Timeline probably the least significant of the lot. The Decline Timeline features the biggest continuity of all, four games which include the same Link and the remaining games which also feature the same Link, if that's not continuity then I don't know what is... I feel the Decline Timeline gets too much hate mainly because of the way it was created, put aside that Link was "hypothetically" defeated and you have a Timeline which includes the some of the more pivotal plot points and separate events in the series as well as the best continuity.

M

ManlyCaveman

I think it would be neat right here at the end of the Golden Era, generations after ALttP.

This new game could explore the events leading up to the Tragedy of Princess Zelda I. This new Link would help the current King hide the Triforce of Courage before he dies by traveling to different palaces/dungeons and using the crystals to set up the spell that eventually gets broken in Zelda II. The Prince and his evil Magician adviser are angry with the late King for withholding a piece of the Triforce. Link eventually defeats the evil Magician, but not before the eternal sleeping spell is cast on Zelda.

The game could serve as a link between the ALttP/OoX/LA and LoZ/AoL story lines.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I think it would be neat right here at the end of the Golden Era, generations after ALttP.

This new game could explore the events leading up to the Tragedy of Princess Zelda I. This new Link would help the current King hide the Triforce of Courage before he dies by traveling to different palaces/dungeons and using the crystals to set up the spell that eventually gets broken in Zelda II. The Prince and his evil Magician adviser are angry with the late King for withholding a piece of the Triforce. Link eventually defeats the evil Magician, but not before the eternal sleeping spell is cast on Zelda.

The game could serve as a link between the ALttP/OoX/LA and LoZ/AoL story lines.

That would be cool for a different Zelda game, buuut, not for ALBW. I personally think ALBW will be before ALttP. I explain why in this nice thread I posted, which I worked hard on thank you very much :dry:. Anyways, here it is ;):

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f119/...ory-prequel-legend-zelda-link-past-43517.html

Last edited:
To be honest I think the Decline Timeline is the best of the lot, for one, the Adult Timeline has a great start with The Wind Waker, but greatly falls due to a insignificant events in Phantom Hourglass and a very lacklustre story in Spirit Tracks. The Child Timeline includes three games which barely connect in any way. Sure the CT includes two great games but the sheer lack of continuity and connections plus the strange placement of Four Swords Adventures , makes this Timeline probably the least significant of the lot. The Decline Timeline features the biggest continuity of all, four games which include the same Link and the remaining games which also feature the same Link, if that's not continuity then I don't know what is... I feel the Decline Timeline gets too much hate mainly because of the way it was created, put aside that Link was "hypothetically" defeated and you have a Timeline which includes the some of the more pivotal plot points and separate events in the series as well as the best continuity.

I honestly have to agree with this. Both the Child and Adult Timelines lack the strong plot continuity of the Decline Timeline. I think the only reason people don't give it as much credit is because the games are so much older than the one's in the other timelines. I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Four Swords Adventures was awkwardly placed in the chronology.

H

Horayn

Nintendo announced that it is not the same link though that is more of a recent update :)

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
ZeldaBLT is confirmed to take place after ALttP. :)

That was before Aonuma's interview with kotaku, I think they were probably just talking about the game as a sequel before E3 to hype they're fans, considering they did a similar thing with Twilight Princess when they at one point referred to it as "Wind Waker 2". They've even confirmed TP after WW at the time and look what happened, TP ended up not having to do with the WW at all other than being a parallel counter-part. Here are quotes from old interviews with Ejji Aonuma from "GDC 2004", "Liberation Next February 18th 2005", "E3 2005", and "Nintendo Dream 2007" if you don't believe me:

GDC 2004:
Eiji Aonuma: So, but obviously at E3 our big focus is going to be on the Wind Waker 2, which is under development as we speak. And, so that's going to be our big focus. We'll have a big push for that, and anything related to Zelda developments in relation to the DS will probably come at some point after that.

Liberation Next February 18th 2005:
Eiji Aonuma: The next episode in the Zelda series for GameCube is already coming, but I can't say absolutely anything about it. You know the deal -- even the title and theme are still secret. The next grand Zelda game, which follows chronologically after the Wind Waker, will be released at the end of 2005 in Japan. I'm two-hundred percent involved in its development and I can reveal one lone secret: it'll be very, very beautiful.

E3 2005 (the time they finally confirmed Twilight Princess apart from WW's era):
Question: Is this a "new... Link?

Eiji Aonuma: Yes, he is a new Link.

Question: When does this game take place?

Eiji Aonuma: This version takes place a few decades after Ocarina of Time and before Wind Waker.

Nintendo Dream 2007(when they again changed TP's placement and confirmed the split-timeline):
Nintendo Dream: When does Twilight Princess take place?

Eiji Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

Nintendo Dream: And the Wind Waker?

Eiji Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link's time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

Notice how TP gradually went from WW sequel to WW's parallel counter-part? Anyways, well there you have it, Nintendo has done the similar the kind of thing they've been doing with ALBW lately before with TP.

Also, if Nintendo was honestly going to have ALBW be after ALttP, why would they change their E3 page for ALBW to where they don't call it a "sequel" anymore? Before you say it is because it's a different Link and Zelda, keep in mind that a game that takes place after another game can be considered a sequel as long it at least contains one of these things:

1) Same main protagonist

2) one of the other protagonists from the game's predecessor/game before it/previous game, but the game would have to take place after it's predecessor/game before it/previous game and would have to reference it somehow or have something to do with it, otherwise it would just be a spinoff.

3) Same overworld. Some examples would be TP (game took place in the same Hyrule from it's prequels/predecessors, SS and OoT.) and ST (game takes place in same overworld as PH just appears very different, changed, and evolved as it is no longer flooded with water, all except the south-east portion. Temple of the Ocean King became the Tower of Spirits. Also, should I mention it even had a descendant of Linebeck.)

4) Descendant of the main protagonist or one of the other protagonists from previous game. In other words new protagonist but somehow connected or related to the main protagonist or one of the other protagonists from previous game.

5) Former antagonist from previous game, seeking to redeem him/herself and become a protagonist, but the game would have to take place after it's predecessor/game before it/previous game and would have to reference it somehow or have something to do with it, otherwise it would just be a spinoff.

Plus, besides, Nintendo confirmed before in past that the storyline of a Zelda game can tend to change during development. Yet again, I bring you, yet, another quote from one of the past interviews with Aonuma:

Electronic Gaming Monthly interview from June 2005:
Electronic Gaming Monthly: Where does this Zelda [Twilight Princess] fall in the overall series' timeline?

Eiji Aonuma: I can't really go into that, partially because I want to keep it a secret, but also because we haven't decided yet. There are some kinds of... unstable, uncertain ideas that we're working on. Depending on what course we choose in the process of development, the final ending may change.

Basically just by reading that quote tells that Nintendo has struggled with storyline before when it came to Zelda games where they sometimes had to change or arrange the story around so it makes more sense for the style of game they're making.

Also, If you compare all the evidence that I've discovered while doing an analysis research on ALBW that proves that it will take place before ALttP with the evidence that backs up the idea of ALBW being after ALttP (in which going by from what I've seen so far of where the direction is going for ALBW as of now, I don't think what Nintendo said in those interviews before E3 is applicable now, especially since the kotaku interview with Aonuma and Nintendo removing the term "sequel" from their E3 webpage for ALBW.) by looking at what I put down so far in my "ALBW, Prequel to ALttP theory" thread overall (including replies):

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f119/link-between-worlds-theory-prequel-legend-zelda-link-past-43517.html

Plus, you could at least try to respect my theory and opinion by acknowledging how hard I worked on putting together such speculation. Also, I already know about the interviews from before E3 where Nintendo confirmed that ALBW was supposed to be after ALttP. However, as I've said, things change, especially with Nintendo, you never really know with them sometimes. Btw, I have found yet more evidence that in a way could prove my theory true even more, but I'll share that later, right now my hands are getting tired from typing and copying and pasting all this. Anyways, that is all I have to say for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom