• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Where Will A Link to the Past II Fit in the Timeline?

CPainter307

Lost Woods Explorer
I searched for this topic for a while, so if it does exist somewhere and I couldn't find it, I'm sorry.

Zelda 3DS (more commonly known as A Link to the Past II) has been in the works for two years now, and there's been a lot of mixed reactions to it's initial revealing. Some people are excited, some aren't, but that's not what matters now. Ever since the release of Skyward Sword, we've had ourselves a somewhat "official" Zelda timeline from Nintendo. The timeline is long and convoluted, but supplies adequate explanations of in what order the games take place. This new 3DS game marks the first new release since that timeline was revealed, so my goal is to try to fit it in somewhere.

What do we know about this new game? It takes place in the same game world as a Link to the Past, and features an all new story. Not too much to go on, but enough to speculate with.

Now the first choice seems incredibly obvious, after a Link to the Past. In fact, this choice will almost definitely be the case. In such an event, the game will take place in a world where Ganon has been defeated by LttP's Link and the Dark World returned to it's state of being the Sacred Realm (which would eliminate any dual-world gameplay, in theory; more on this later). This means that the game will take place before Oracle of Seasons, but I doubt that the focus will be more on tying it in to that game than it is tying it in to the game it's based off of, A Link to the Past.

The other plausible option for the game's fitting into the timeline is that it takes place before a Link to the Past. Keep in mind that the name "A Link to the Past II" has not been endorsed by Nintendo. Also keep in mind they never stated that the game's storyline would take place after LttP's. They only stated it would take place within the same world. When before Link to the Past would this new game take place then? There are a few possible places. As the timeline states, LttP takes place in the world where The Hero of Time was defeated by Ganondorf. In this world, Ganondorf obtained all of the triforce, and transformed into the demon king, Ganon. This was when the imprisoning war over the Sacred Realm was fought, and Ganon and the Triforce were sealed within the Sacred Realm, which under Ganon's evil rule would become the Dark World. This game could theoretically take place before the Imprisoning War, but that doesn't seem logical (unless you follow the notion that Ganon was sealed before the Imprisoning War). The only other option for the game's prequel status would be for it to take place after the war but before A Link to the Past. This isn't a lot of time to work with, and there are no other known conflicts recorded in a Link to the Past that reference this. The only real reason I speculate so much about the prequel is that, according to the storyline, the Dark World is destroyed after the events of a Link to the Past. Nintendo has stated that this game is being developed based entirely off A Link to the Past, and traveling between two worlds was a major theme, mechanic, and selling point of the SNES title.

Of course, these are just theories. And the game could even take place farther down the "Hero is Defeated" timeline (though I doubt it). What are your thoughts on the game's place in the timeline?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a sequel to A Link to the Past so it most definitely takes place after Link's Awakening.

RichardBlaziken

Mr. Blaziken
It could take place before or after ALttP, but I wonder about it happening after Link's Awakening... seeing Link return from Koholint Island to Hyrule could be interesting, and I suppose they could use a new antagonist or the first appearance of Vaati in this timeline, or something.

There is the possibility that this takes place after LA with an entirely new Link, though. Between LA and LoZ, there's room for more new stories I'm sure.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Since it's a sequel, and not a prequel, we can rest relatively assured it won't be before ALttP. The question is how far after ALttP really. Could another game have happened in-between? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no, Nintendo wouldn't brandish it as a sequel it wasn't just that, a sequel. Like Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time. So I'll be expecting that. Otherwise Nintendo would be calling it a sequel to whatever game was in the middle of them.

I guess we won't know till it releases but, that's my guess. A direct sequel, since Nintendo is billing it as such and doesn't often do that.

CPainter307

Lost Woods Explorer
I guess we won't know till it releases but, that's my guess. A direct sequel, since Nintendo is billing it as such and doesn't often do that.

I haven't found anywhere where Nintendo's billed it as a direct sequel; from all I've seen they're simply stating it takes place in the same game world. Have they publicly stated it's a direct sequel?

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I had 4 options on this in an earlier thread but I'll shorten it down to what I think is the most realistic choice.
I believe It will take place either after or during Link's Awakening.

On Link's last oracle voyage (be it OoS or OoA depending on the order) Link goes back to wherever the full Triforce was which transports him to Holodrum/Labrynna. Now the fact that the Triforce is fully combined safe in OoX would mean that IF ALttP2 took place in between ALttP and OoX, it would give away some of the ALttP2 plot in the way that we know that we have to get back the triforce. We know it's involved since the Dark World has come back.

What I think is realistic is that when Link left and got shipwrecked on Koholint Island, the Triforce was just sitting lonely in that Castle or wherever it was in the OoX intro vids. BUT Link is goen so It's unprotected! NOOOO, EVIL PEOPLES ARE GONNA GET IT!
And as a result the Dark World returns and Hyrule is in crisis. And either Link comes back from Koholint to fix it OR a new Link has to fix it because old Link probably died since he was just floating in the middle of the ocean on a piece of driftwood.

CPainter307

Lost Woods Explorer
And as a result the Dark World returns and Hyrule is in crisis. And either Link comes back from Koholint to fix it OR a new Link has to fix it because old Link probably died since he was just floating in the middle of the ocean on a piece of driftwood.

I'm leaning towards the inclusion of a new Link, considering this game is based off LttP. I doubt that the Oracle's Link will be the one the story focuses around, but rather a new Link born in LttP's Hyrule.

I think it would make a more sense if it took place after LA. But I think it is gonna take place directly after ALttP. If I am not mistaken did Bill Trinen somewhat confirm that it does directly take place after ALttP?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i think with the time travel that is so common now, i would not be surprised if this game takes place before and after ALttP SNES turning ALttP an entire Era. i wouldnt be surprised, i was right about the dark world when everyone doubted me so im feelin pretty good about my speculations at the momen

Last edited:
G

GoofRmb

This is one is going to be very short.

Perhaps, they will incorporate something from Skyward Sword such as the Timeshift Stones, giving them a larger window of time to work with.

CPainter307

Lost Woods Explorer
Perhaps, they will incorporate something from Skyward Sword such as the Timeshift Stones, giving them a larger window of time to work with.

I mean, that's possible, and perhaps if the overworld's changed all that much it will allow us to access it like it was on the SNES, but I'm going to guess we've seen all that we will of the Timeshift Stones for now (although, the fact that the Ocarina of Time could be made out of them is really cool). I mean, one of LttP's staples was the ability to travel through different worlds (which will return), but it will probably be a different version of the Dark World, and not a different time period.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
After aLttP, before Oracle games and LA, that's all I gotta say. Also, as for the dark world, let's just say whoever the main villain is will probably be the cause of it's return. Oh and same Link obviously. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom