• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Where Navi's Name Comes From

Recently, on a car journey, I was thinking about Navi's name ( I don't know why). Then, I looked at the navigation screen in front of me and noticed that instead of navigation it said navi. Nintendo intended Navi to be a kind of navigation, so c-alled our favorite (sarcasm) character Navi. NAVIgation, if you didn't get it. Tell me if you think this is true.

H

Honey Pie

I figured that out on my own when I was four and a half years old...

M

Melmo Jenkins

Recently, on a car journey, I was thinking about Navi's name ( I don't know why). Then, I looked at the navigation screen in front of me and noticed that instead of navigation it said navi. Nintendo intended Navi to be a kind of navigation, so c-alled our favorite (sarcasm) character Navi. NAVIgation, if you didn't get it. Tell me if you think this is true.

Don't think Nintendo as ever stated anything about why this name was chosen. But that could have a good deal with it. Might be because they are both annoying at points :p
I figured that out on my own when I was four and a half years old...

Do you want a Medal?

It took you this long to figure that out. Wow. Obviously Navi was short for NAVIgation.

Don't think Nintendo as ever stated anything about why this name was chosen. But that could have a good deal with it. Might be because they are both annoying at points :p

Do you want a Medal?

Can you be anymore ruder? I mean come on. You could have said something more pleasant.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
It took you this long to figure that out. Wow. Obviously Navi was short for NAVIgation.

Can you be anymore ruder? I mean come on. You could have said something more pleasant.
First off, you're insulting the OP and then complaining that the poster above you insulted someone else?

Secondly, until you prove to me that "Navi" means navigation, and not navigate, navigator, etc., I don't see how any solid conclusion has been "obvious", especially considering Nintendo reps have refused to comment or confirm when asked this specific question.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I asume it has something to do with navigation; it doesn't really matter if it's Navigation or Navigate or Navigator.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Navi was discussed in a recent Iwata Asks interview. She was created to serve as a marker of which enemy you have Z-Targeted, and developed her own personality from there. The name "Navi" comes from its original conceptual name "Fairy Navigation System."

Koizumi: Yeah. I remember something else with regard to Z-targeting. When we were making a prototype of battle targeting, we wanted to make it easy to see which enemy you're targeting, so we made a marker.

Iwata: Uh-huh.

Koizumi: An upside-down triangle.

Iwata: Like the one appeared above the targeted opponent's head.

Koizumi: Yeah. But I was a designer, so I didn't want to use such a simple marker. I wanted to make something else, so I came up with a fairy. After all, it was The Legend of Zelda.

Iwata: So first you went to make a marker, and later you made the fairy?

Koizumi: Right. Usually, if you were to make a fairy, you would make a cute girl, but that wasn't possible with the Nintendo 64 system, so I just made a ball of light with wings.

Iwata: Uh-huh.

Koizumi: I called it the Fairy Navigation System, took it to Osawa-san, and asked, "How's this?" He immediately said, "Let's name it Navi." Because she navigates! (laughs)

Iwata: Osawa-san called on his simple naming sense. (laughs)

Osawa: Navi—from "navigation." (laughs) The Legend of Zelda games have a lot of names that show their origin. Link means to bind together. We give a lot of names that serve as functional symbols.

Iwata: Functional symbols are important to Miyamoto-san.

Osawa: I think so. I didn't just name her Navi out of my simple sense for naming. Rather, I thought I should name her that way out of respect for The Legend of Zelda naming tradition.

Koizumi: But when I heard the name Navi from Osawa-san, I was really happy. I had thought of it as a system, but…

Iwata: Naming it had breathed life into what had been an impersonal marker.

Koizumi: Right. I thought, "This is Navi," and ideas started coming to me one after the other. Like being able to tell by color whether the person you're facing is good or bad, and if Navi talked, she could be an important guide for the story. So naming the system Navi really helped it grow.

More here.

D

DrDo0MxPHD

yea thats why she is named NAVI. first time around she helps, second time shes really annoying.

Pen

The game is on!
When I first heard the name I thought of Navigation, however, that was before I got to know Navi. So as time passed I was just calling her Navi without really thinking of her name as I did in the beginning. And I had forgotten all about it until now! But I do think it was intended that way (or something like that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom