• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Whats Was Nintendo Thinking

E

epic_link

I actually enjoyed The Adventure of Link. I don't see why people hate it so much. I mean, sure it's hard, really hard, but compared to other NES games it wasn't that out of the ordinary. Plus, the RPG elements gave the game a unique feel to it.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
Honestly, the game was well designed for the time. But I agree, what were the thinking. They took away the title of: The Legend of Zelda, so TECHNICALLY it isn't even part of the LOZ series. It is just Zelda: AOL. Then they made it like an rpg (I think) giving link magic, levels, and things like that which I really don't like. And it is the only zelda game with any kind of level system. The reason it is the black sheep is because it is so different from every other zelda game. Just like the CD-i games. If you notice, the CDi games are also only titled: bZelda :Wand of Gameleon, and don't the CDi games also use a level system? idkm I've never played them. There's my explanation.

I love AoL, in the same way as i love FSA.

Four Swords Adventures was a great game. Not a great Zelda game, but a great game by itself. I dont consider AoL to be a great Zelda game, but a great individual game. My two cents.

David

But you called me here...
Don't get me started on how awesome AoL was.

In the time of a few months, I've played it about 3 times. The first time ever was about 3 months ago, and I loved it when I picked it up.

Yes, AoL had some flaws. (Sword length, magic, items, anyone?) But those flaws helped make the game what it is. The difficulty of the game also improves it. Its a NES game. Its most likely going to be hard. That's how most NES games were. Some were extremely hard and near impossible to beat.

AoL an awesome game that deserves more respect. It is toward the top of my list of favorite Zelda games.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
You have to remember that Adventure of Link was the second game in the series. They hadn't really established a standard Legend of Zelda formula yet. They saw how well people reacted to the side-scrolling in Mario, and RPG elements from other games, so they tried it out. They just wanted to test the waters. It didn't do well with fans, so, they went back to the drawing board to find themselves, and the Legend of Zelda that we know and love today was born. The series has Adventure of Link to thank for what The Legend of Zelda is today.
Remember that next time you talk down about it.
Personally, I think it's a great game though, but it's really, really hard.

I totally agree with you on this one. Just most people don't realize that.

Difficulty truly isn't a valid complaint. Zelda II: Adventure of Link is an NES game, what do you expect?

Also, it's nice to shake a formula up once in awhile. Zelda II was a gamble that clearly paid off for Nintendo and there is a cult following the title to this date. In fact, it's a shame that the formula isn't shaken up a bit more nowadays. Maybe we should all hope for a 3DS Zelda game similar to Adventure of Link. The problem nowadays, however, is that there are larger financial risks involved with taking chances. In the current economy, that appears to not be an option, which is a shame really as Skyward Sword promised to be a drastic alteration to the formula but did not live up to its lofty ideals.

Zelda II is a game that should be knighted not spurned.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I didn't Like AoL because of how hard it was.
After Playing and finally beating it, it made a place in my heart. It felt great to accomplish completing it.
Now I pick it up just to continue my quest to max out the number of lives. Currently at N I think.

AoL was my nemesis, but now I like that game. :)

I'm Glad Nintendo tried it, Because It gave me the challenge I desired :D

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The Adventure of Link was simply Nintendo mixing the bird's-eye-view aspect of Zelda 1 with their other top franchise of that time, Mario; or better defined, the side-scrolling of Mario. They had the regular overworld in mind, while utilizing a lateral perspective to the "levels", villages, and hidden areas of Zelda 2. When comparing it to its predecessor, the contrast of difficulty between both games was evident. The fusion of the overhead/side-scrolling attributes, to me, made AoL harder by far. Personally, I'm glad Nintendo decided to sample side-scrolling in Zelda early on, because then they could tell it...simply didn't fit this series.

I didn't Like AoL because of how hard it was.
After Playing and finally beating it, it made a place in my heart. It felt great to accomplish completing it.
Now I pick it up just to continue my quest to max out the number of lives. Currently at N I think.

AoL was my nemesis, but now I like that game. :)

I'm Glad Nintendo tried it, Because It gave me the challenge I desired :D

Exactly. The sense of accomplishment from beating a challenging game is unparalleled. But what is "N" may I ask? What does it stand for? None?

The Adventure of Link was simply Nintendo mixing the bird's-eye-view aspect of Zelda 1 with their other top franchise of that time, Mario; or better defined, the side-scrolling of Mario. They had the regular overworld in mind, while utilizing a lateral perspective to the "levels", villages, and hidden areas of Zelda 2. When comparing it to its predecessor, the contrast of difficulty between both games was evident. The fusion of the overhead/side-scrolling attributes, to me, made AoL harder by far. Personally, I'm glad Nintendo decided to sample side-scrolling in Zelda early on, because then they could tell it...simply didn't fit this series.

It's interesting you mention Mario because the second overseas installment of that series was also a radical departure from the existing formula. Personally, side scrolling does fit the series and if anything, a return to Zelda II's style would please a portion of Zelda fans especially with a return to the difficulty that many have been complaining is nonexistent in recent entries.

ToonLink100, You didn't tell us anything besides that you hate the f***ing awesome game for no reason.
Link1017, you REALLY didn't tell us why you hate it at-all, how disappointed I am because you have made three useless points. The Adventure of Link is a awesome game, it doesn't fit Zelda but you are being bass turds. ( That wasn't a swear word.....) :P I love AoL for being different, you need to attack the enemies attack at times to block it and need to attack them where they aren't blocking. Its really fun with Darknuts ( I have developed my trick where I keep running at them and jump and at the right time I attack so he gets hit in the head even if he blocks high.)

Lives counter goes 0-9 then goes through letters. 10 lives would be A, 11 B,..etc.

Oh, thanks. I should pay more attention to these types of things.

:P I love AoL for being different, you need to attack the enemies attack at times to block it and need to attack them where they aren't blocking. Its really fun with Darknuts ( I have developed my trick where I keep running at them and jump and at the right time I attack so he gets hit in the head even if he blocks high.)

Exactly. Who ever said nonconformity was a vice? And yes, those Darknuts are extremely difficult to eliminate of but also highly rewarding to exterminate. The sense of accomplishment one achieves through completing Adventure of Link is unparalled by just about any modern videogame; that's ceratinly a very lofty and well-deserved compliment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom