• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's The Most Difficult Video Game Boss/Section/Level/Etc To You?

Djinn

and Tonic
I want to say the entire game of Karnov.

karnov-box-art-front.jpg

I have a theory that there really is nothing beyond the third level, the developers just never made anything else in this game. So their strategy was to make level 2 so unbelievably hard that no one would ever make it to the third and discover it was actually unfinished the whole time.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I tend to actively avoid difficult games since I don't find them the least bit amusing. Probably the overall most difficult game I've played that I actually like is ResEvil4. It's got all manner of difficult segments. Out of all of em, the most challenging is a multi stage segment where you have to cover for Ashley as she runs all around the room where you can't follow her turning cranks while you have to keep Los Plagas off her back and off your face. Then you have to contend with wave after wave of the creeps coming at you with flails and crossbows from inaccessible ledges, blind corners and even through the freaking ceiling!!

Then there's the cage match with the blind armored giant with the freaking ripper claws roughly 1/3 as long as the cage is wide! He's scary quick in the direction of any noise you make so you can't run, is only vulnerable from the back so you have to stay behind him, and shooting him makes him turn and come swinging at you so as soon as you hit him you have to reposition without running for much more than a second!! Oh, and there are a bunch of flail and crossbow wielding cultists just outside the bars and remember: any gunfire draws the giant's attention so you really can't contend with them until you've taken him out which takes several shots even with the most powerful handguns - that's several turns around the cage through yard long ripper claws, spiked flails and a hail of crossbow bolts.

The cabin siege is difficult on a first playthrough since you're rather under-armed that early in the game. NG+ it's easy with a full arsenal. At least you can stow Ashley away where the villagers aren't likely to find her. You've got an endless succession of plague-ridden villagers coming at you from every direction (okay at least they don't come falling from the freaking ceiling this time!!) and a guy who is surprisingly self sufficient and even kinda helpful you have to keep alive, but a few stray shots too many and he'll FREAKING ONE SHOT YOU DEAD!! Which is a bit of an issue in such a confined space. Now, I am as adverse to being shot in the face as anyone else, accidentally or otherwise, but given the situation I don't see how killing me helps him any. jerk.

There's also a cavern where you have to take on a veritable swarm of these invisible giant flying bugs. This part is pretty straightforward actually but these things are quick, have odd movement and attack patterns and are difficult to see. There's also a lot of them and the cavern is pretty big and you have to traverse all up and down it to get out. If you're careful you can take on small groups of them at a time. But it takes a long time and small mistakes add up fast.

That's just the parts I remember and a whole thread could be written about ResEvil4's tricky bits.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I would say Kingdom Hearts 1 produced the most for me:

That sand boss heartless who opens up after you complete the game probably took me like...a month to beat. I was constantly crafting new approaches and theories to defeating him.

The second fight with Riku once he's become Ansem was a fraught two weeks mostly from poor luck. (Grandparents and mum constantly blocking television to ask poor, injured me a series of inane and frankly stupid questions.)

I've never beat Sepiroth in that game, but my god did I try for like a month.

I agree with Kingdom Hearts 1. That game had some of the most difficult boss fights. The Chameleon was the first one that gave me trouble. As well as the second Riku fight like you said. And I didn't beat the final boss battle for years. I tried it a few times when I first got to it, but then gave up and didn't pick it back up for a couple of years. Finally beat it after the break from it, and was super proud of that moment.

I do have to say though, the boss fights might not have been too bad if you didn't have to sit through the super long cut scenes over and over again.

TMNT for the NES still haunts me to this day. I wound up beating it, loving it, and playing it over and over again (as a child) to the point that I could play that game like a piano. I can still pick it up and play through the entire thing without much trouble, but having said that, I still have nightmares of my first time ever picking it up.

I guess quite a few NES games were ridiculously hard, mainly so that they could pad out the length of the game.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
The first time I played through one of the Silent Realm sections in Skyward Sword, I didn't pick it up again for a couple weeks. I still haven't completed the game because of that DARN ELDIN VOLCANO SILENT REALM!!!

The Giant Battle Medley in Mario & Luigi Dream Team. On Hard mode.

Imagine you have five tough boss battles you have to beat. Now imagine you fight all five in a row without healing. And you can't heal in any of the battles at all. You die in three hits at the most. The game requires touch screen and gyro controls which can just fail outright at the worst possible time. And almost every attack (which is hard to dodge) can hit you those three times in a single turn.

It's about as brutal as it sounds.

I remember finding the sweets level in super mario galaxy to be incredibly difficult, I don't think I ever completed it, and I must have tried at least 100 times. It's the one where there are moving, cookie-shaped holes in the moving, icing-covered platform, while lasers try to paralyze you. I was quite young, though, so maybe it was due to lack of hand-eye coordination on my part... I did, however, try it again a month ago, and I got it on the first try! Either that was incredible luck, or I've just gotten better at video games in general. I don't really want to play the level again to find out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom