• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess What Would Have Made the Game Live Up to It's Potential?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I haven't made a thread in a while, so I decided to just go ahead and make one up on the spot

I know Twilight Princess is quite... unpopular, in certain circles. I mean, I generally think it had an awesome idea/plot that Nintendo failed to deliver on. Part of this was probably that expectations were raised quite high, but I also think that it ended up being weak for a variety of reasons- largely due to Midna being a pale imitation of Tatl with a personality transplant halfway through, and getting a tacked on appearance at the end as a hottie. I kind of thought that was poor and fanficcy of Nintendo. Also, the dungeons were super easy in comparison to the classic home console games.

Anyway, this isn't really yet another thread for us to list what was wrong with the game. This is a thread for everyone to have a little fun and suggest ways they could have made TP live up to it's potential- whether it be gameplay, graphics, story, characterisation or whatever.

I personally would have made the dungeons lengthier and given them all more of a back story (though this is true across the board for Zelda games in my opinion), made Midna less of a fanfiction OC and more of an actual helping hand and friend to Link, and focused more on making it feel like you were actually achieving something in the game.

So what do you guys think?

What would have made the experience of the game we have a lot better? What would have made you enjoy it more?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed TP. When I think about which game I will replay, WW or TP, TP is the clear choice. You had epic mechanics, great music, an epic and vast world, and all sorts of little things, minigames and sidequests to do. It's basically OoT on steroids. I mean the game features ideas they couldn't work into OoT, such as horse combat. It's got Ganondorf and even the map is an evolution of OoT's map. It blew me away, and it did it in epic OoT-style visuals (if only WW looked like OoT) It was also highly received and the best-selling Zelda game ever. I thought the wolf mechanic was an interesting if-not-to-be-repeated mechanic. The wolf beats that blasted WW sailing any day.

The only problem you seem to have is with the story and characters. Now we should all recall Zelda focuses on gameplay over story. The characters were decent i thought. Granted Ilia lost all importance at some point, and Midna was short on development. A few tweaks to story-telling would benefit the characters, but the game is just so amazing with its visuals, challenges, music, general epic feel, and OoT throwbacks that it doesn't need to be brought up to its potential, its basically already there.

OoT>MM>TP>SS>WW

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Make the game, yknow, hard. I personally didn't care for the story - I never do in Zelda bar MM - so the next area that needed cleaning was the game. Enemy AI while it could detect you from farther distances than TWW's AI was no smarter. The enemies attacked infrequently and did far too little damage. The puzzles weren't hard enough imo.

To aid in making it hard, give me non-linearity ya dig.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I've made this clear a lot, I think Hyrule Field is waaayyyyy too empty. That would make the game so much better. Also, a slightly brighter colour palette to make it feel more alive. I like the more dark style with the story, but the colours were too dark and it makes it seem worse looking when compared to something like Wind Waker that still manages to hold itself together.

And the music is well composed, but the soundfont makes it sound really artificial and bad. Some tracks could have sounded much more epic with better instruments.

I like TP, but it's my no means my favourite Zelda experience.

Awww i love TP, it gets a lot less credit than it should in nearly every department, i think it delivered in spades and set out to do what it meant to do, be OoT2.

Things that would have made the game a little more enjoyable, refined etc though... fix the whole entering and leaving Lake Hylia thing, it was a pain to not be able to leave without paying or warping. That really is the only thing i'd change and it isn't a big deal to begin with its not hard to press two buttons to warp, if you're offering though i'd accept it in HD =3

Everything was so empty en large. In Hyrule Field there was barely anything to do, this was easily fixed by placing some houses there, but instead they placed them in the corners of the map. The desert was deserted, huge and a pain in the *** to avoid all the ravines while riding a boar that went wild.

All the broken bridges and obstacles made it tough to ride Epona where you wanted to go, so you just kept warping everywhere. Why was it necessary to destroy/block all the paths?

The warping sucked too, If I warped somewhere and wanted to change into a human you have to hide. Which just didn't make sense, since they just saw you get warped there!

I may sound like I didn't enjoy TP at all, but that's not true. The gameplay was awesome, the items were cool, the dungeons and bosses interesting.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Why are people always complaining about the emptiness of Hyrule field? It had bugs to hunt for, caves to find, enemies to fight, and I think it was meant more to show scope and the sense of adventure than be filled with things to do. But I mean compared to OoT its jam-packed with things to do. I just don't see how space is the issue in a game so grand and filled with transport options.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Make the hidden skills required. Other than that, it made all the right choices.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why are people always complaining about the emptiness of Hyrule field? It had bugs to hunt for, caves to find, enemies to fight, and I think it was meant more to show scope and the sense of adventure than be filled with things to do. But I mean compared to OoT its jam-packed with things to do. I just don't see how space is the issue in a game so grand and filled with transport options.

Bugs to hunt for...which led to infinite rupees in a game where your rupees don't even matter.
Caves to find...which had nothing of note bar heart pieces. Heart pieces though lead into the enemies.
Enemies to fight which are 1) too easy 2) weak 3) boring 4) incapable of dealing enough damage to warrant more than six hearts.

See, TP's field is skipworthy which is why people dread going through the game unless they have Epona or warping available. Q_Q

The game is still amazing in my opinion, but what it could have done to make it better is many things. The first thing It could so would be not making the over world empty. Also It would of make it better, If they just had Zant as the main villain, and not Gannon. Also making the items more useful, and being able to use them for all kinds of things (like the spinner, ball and chain etc...).

ThrawnTheater

Hylian Grand Admiral
TP definitely does leave a wanting taste in your mouth. There's so many things it does so well, but then just kind of falls short.

I'd agree with introducing Ganondorf earlier in the game, or at the very least, hint at him like Ghirahim did with Demise in SS. Ganondorf feels really added on, which detracts from the game, imo. Also I didn't like how Zant was depicted at the end. I thought he was very fearful, up until the final battle with him, where he's straight up crazy. It doesn't work, for me. And of course right afterwards, hey, guess what, here's Ganondorf. I also felt it had some very unmemorable characters. I didn't find myself caring for Ilia, or the children of Ordon Village. Also, I found Auru and Ashei to be just... there.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
No, Ganondorf should not have been shown earlier in the game. He should have been a surprise at the end of the game. We could focus on Zant, but be curious about his unseen benefactor. It would have been brilliant to have you get to the top, have fans be able to know what is happening by the sound of his music, and then Bam! Ganondorf appears and launches his final assault. It would have been so epic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom