• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess What Would Have Made the Game Live Up to It's Potential?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No, Ganondorf should not have been shown earlier in the game. He should have been a surprise at the end of the game. We could focus on Zant, but be curious about his unseen benefactor. It would have been brilliant to have you get to the top, have fans be able to know what is happening by the sound of his music, and then Bam! Ganondorf appears and launches his final assault. It would have been so epic!

Sounds like Demise to me. Annnnnnnd he's gone as soon as he appears. No thanks.

Salem

SICK
1-Speed up the prologue
2-drop the teardrop quest(or just have one of it)
3-Allow you to complete dungeons on second part of the game in any order(expect palace of twilight and Hyrule castle).
4-Give us a warp system as early as possible(restricting it to wolf form up to a certain point just isn't enough).

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
1) Some form of magic/magic meter. I loved this in the games that it was in, and some of the items would've worked well when associated with magic.

2) Better Twilight sequences. I just feel like Nintendo was given a great opportunity here and they messed it up.

3) Cooler effects after you get all of the Sols and whatnot. In the game, it just makes your sword glow and you can kill Ganondorf. Cool. Not cool enough.

4) More Side Quests. There...... weren't really any side quests in TP besides the bugs, Malo Mart, and a few others, but none of them took that much thought or were really fun enough to distract a casual gamer from the main quest.

5) Harder boss fights. Bosses are supposed to be challenging, but some of them were just plain simple. I'd like some bosses where you have to really think to figure out how to kill the boss. Most of the TP bosses were just repeating some system that you used earlier in the dungeon, and I hardly lost a heart when fighting them.

For now, those are the only things I'd add to TP. Otherwise, it's still one of my favorite games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
3) Cooler effects after you get all of the Sols and whatnot. In the game, it just makes your sword glow and you can kill Ganondorf. Cool. Not cool enough.

Oh yeah, having a tier list for swords a la A Link to the Past would've been pretty cool. Heck, blacksmithing the Master Sword, and then infusing it with the Sols would be pretty badass. :)

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
Oh yeah, having a tier list for swords a la A Link to the Past would've been pretty cool. Heck, blacksmithing the Master Sword, and then infusing it with the Sols would be pretty badass. :)

I agree. I thought it might be cool to have a twilight sequence between every dungeon in the second phase of the game (After you get the Master Sword) where you have to get a Sol after completing some sort of challenge. We'd have some sort of transformation of the sword (Just a glow and more damage would even suffice to me) between dungeons, and it would've kinda hinted towards what you do in SS. Also, you wouldn't just get the Sol-infused Master Sword for the last. Dungeon. of the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Except Demise had a presence throughout the entire game through references and as The Imprisoned. He didn't just show up and leave.

I didn't know that a fail whale gave Akuma any sort of a presence. Q_Q

But...I'm not interested in that discussion. My point is, revealing a villain - especially the final boss - at the very end of the game and having them defeated right off the bat just isn't grounds for a good villain. If there's a "main villain" or a "head honcho", that MF better do some pretty terrible stuff - not just to the love interest, but to the WORLD - before being defeated. :)

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time

But...I'm not interested in that discussion. My point is, revealing a villain - especially the final boss - at the very end of the game and having them defeated right off the bat just isn't grounds for a good villain. If there's a "main villain" or a "head honcho", that MF better do some pretty terrible stuff - not just to the love interest, but to the WORLD - before being defeated. :)

I agree about 95%. I think it's mysterious in that Girahim always refers to Demise as "His Master" throughout the game, and we only figure out he's talking about Demise once we get the Master sword and Zelda and Impa basically tell Link he'll have to fight Demise.

To be honest, my first time through the game was spent believing that The Imprisoned was a servant much like Girahim to Demise, not Demise himself. I think it is kinda lame that Demise's screen time can be as little as a few minutes, but it fits the whole "Imprisoned while the seal is kept shut by the sleeping Hylia" whatnot.

Okay, that was all about SS.

Ganondorf in TP was different simply because he showed up in the game before the last fight....... but only in flashbacks or explanations of plot. You understood his entire story before fighting him in several stages at the end of the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ganondorf in TP was different simply because he showed up in the game before the last fight....... but only in flashbacks or explanations of plot. You understood his entire story before fighting him in several stages at the end of the game.

Exactly. And, TP was deliberately made as a sequel to Ocarina of Time. When we hear the very name of "Ganondorf," it's not far-fetched to expect players to have some sort of knowledge on the events of OoT. So, I can't say that TP Ganondorf was some horribly weak character. Not everyone was able to play OoT, but going back and seeing the events that transpired during the Hero of Time's life, then moving onto TP just gives the player even more reason to want to put the G-Man down.

Demise, however, did nothing. We saw him do nothing. Everything he did was reversed so very easily! like wtc.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Twilight Princess is an odd title. It's generally known as one of the best Zelda games but it seems to me that a lot of people love it and a fair share don't like it. It's odd to have such a wide set of contrasting views on a game that built on Ocarina of Time and didn't make too much drastic changes. With games like Skyward Sword, one can justify the range of views, due to the changes it made but with a game like TP I find it strange.

Nevertheless, this is my favorite Zelda game but yet I feel it's the most flawed 3D title. The reason being was probably the fact that this game didn't hit it's true potential. Now for me it's fine, I love this game, but I can't help but think; "what if that was built upon" or "wait if he was more involved in the main plot". Now we all have these views in retrospective, but TP has me saying it the most, so I guess that would mean that I certainly agree with the idea that this game did not live up to its true potential.

Being honest here, there have been very little games that have lived up to their true potential, no game is perfect. There's always room for improvement and that's why games that re made in advance try and fix said flaws. However, I feel Nintendo, instead of building upon TP, they have went off course and tried out new ideas. Now this is Nintendo, we know they do this with Zelda, so it's no surprise in my opinion. I would really hope that Nintendo build off Twilight Princess though, it has the perfect formula in which to go off, hopefully that's where Zelda Wii U go.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again

Okay I know this is getting off topic here, and I won't go any further than what I'm about to say, but I feel it needs to be said.

Ventus, not everybody found Demise as easy as you did. Just because you and a handful of others happened to know how to kill Demise within a few minutes and had the skills to effectively pull it off does not objectively make him an easy final boss. Heck, most fans I talk to IRL found him to be extremely difficult and had to make several attempts before finally beating him - and these are people who've been fans for years. I've been a hardcore fan for 13 years now, I know how to make nearly all the games cry uncle, and I STILL have problems with Demise.

So please, PLEASE, unless the thread directly pertains to Skyward Sword and/or the difficulty/gameplay found in it (or where it's at least relevant to the discussion, unlike this one), knock it off. It's getting annoying.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@Sir Quaffler

...Wait...where was difficulty mentioned?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So please, PLEASE, unless the thread directly pertains to Skyward Sword and/or the difficulty/gameplay found in it (or where it's at least relevant to the discussion, unlike this one), knock it off. It's getting annoying.

Erm wtf? I was talking about SS because it was relevant to the discussion. I wasn't talking abuot the difficulty or the gameplay whatsoever, but the way a character played out in the story and ITS relevance to any possible improvement of TP's story. Q_Q

Why am I always the victim Q_Q

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Many of the shortcomings people say about this game I simply don't agree with. I was actually very astounded at what I got as well as beyond satisfied. To me, the hype was well worth it, but there are a couple of ways I feel TP could've been better.

Nintendo really should've handled Zant better. I don't think Ganondorf was done sloppily or that it's his fault Zant's status as a villain lowered immensly, I just feel Nintendo didn't know how to have two epic villains, so they made one less epic and crazy without a proper transition.

WHY IN THE WIG IS THERE NO DARK LINK IN THIS GAME! Seriously, it's a game about shadow people... how do you not put shadow Link in a game about shadow people!?! Dark Link is a serious missed opportunity here. He could've held a great story position to both Link and Zant. His camio in Lanryu's story leaves the player wanting more, and yet they don't get it. I mean, the least they could do was put him as a mini boss in the Twilight Castle.

Other than those, I love how TP was gone about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom