• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What Shouldn't Have Been Brought Back

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
And yeah, TP had some overworld linearity, but it was mainly due to plot linearity. The fact that you could collect the bugs in nearly any order (without just skipping it) is one of the many ways it's less linear. Once the plot reached the 3rd dungeon, the world wasn't even linear. While it did have some connection hallways, SS had entire areas that were hallways.

Exactly. TP knew where to stop in this regards. Give enough to help advance its plot, but not too much that we never felt like we weren't in control. SS took the controller away from us and put the thing on auto pilot. (Wow, can you say hyperbole?)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
But there are something i hope don't come back that are from more recent games; Real time item wheel, adventure pouch, divided overworld, treasures(and their subscreens)

Honestly, I disagree with everything except the divided overworld. Real Time Item wheel was great! It increased the challenge (slightly), and added a sense of realism to the game. The Adventure Pouch was awesome because it made the game feel more like an RPG while still being a 3D adventure-exploration game... and I love RPG's! The divided overworld kind of sucked though, I'll give you that... It took up too much time getting from region to region, and it was completely unnecessary. Treasures, however, are great as well! We've seen treasures since PH (and arguably TWW), and they've become a staple of the series. I loved collecting treasures in order to upgrade gear (I loved the upgrade system for the same reason I loved the Adventure Pouch...).

Oh, and, I also agree with everybody else on this thread who said to get rid of transportation overworlds. Walking is fine by me!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I was refering to overworld linearity. Whereas TP had a small version of it, SS went overboard with it.

Not really. While Skyward Sword is most definitely a very linear game, it had a significantly smaller amount of hallways as compared to Twilight Princess's overworld. The difference in these games' linearity is TP forces you down a narrow path the entire time, only letting you "explore" once you've completed an area, whereas SS forces you down a path that has some wiggle room along the way.

Upgrading important items/equipment, however, is annoying. I want a shield that will do its job, not one that has to be repaired all the time. I don't care if it's less realistic, it's convenient.

That's catering to the casual audience if you ask me. Plus, upgrades provide a money sink, making rupees actually useful (one of the reasons SS had a properly functioning economy system).

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Not really. While Skyward Sword is most definitely a very linear game, it had a significantly smaller amount of hallways as compared to Twilight Princess's overworld. The difference in these games' linearity is TP forces you down a narrow path the entire time, only letting you "explore" once you've completed an area, whereas SS forces you down a path that has some wiggle room along the way.

That is true, but the fact that SS forces you down a path at all increases the linearity a lot. Plus, you also couldn't explore new areas until you were supposed to be there, which is the same as in TP.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That is true, but the fact that SS forces you down a path at all decreases the linearity a lot. Plus, you also couldn't explore new areas until you were supposed to be there, which is the same as in TP.

Being forced down a path decreases linearity? Lol I think you meant increases.

Anyway, that's absolutely correct. I'm not trying to justify SS's linearity at all. I was merely saying it was less linear than Twilight Princess. (Then again, so is every other Zelda game.)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard

Anyway, that's absolutely correct. I'm not trying to justify SS's linearity at all. I was merely saying it was less linear than Twilight Princess. (Then again, so is every other Zelda game.)

I do agree that TP's linearity goes a little bit over the top compared to the other games...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

SS was less linear in plot structure (Dragons), but much more linear in terms of overworld. TP had connection hallways whereas SS had hallway driven areas. A good portion of the Faron Woods were hallways...and now that I think about it, I think the entire Eldin Volcano was a hallway. A branching hallway, but a hallway none the less.

Exactly. TP knew where to stop in this regards. Give enough to help advance its plot, but not too much that we never felt like we weren't in control. SS took the controller away from us and put the thing on auto pilot. (Wow, can you say hyperbole?)

I kinda have to disagree with this. I mean yeah, the succeeding area was given to you, but if this is about the dowsing ability, you did not have to use it lol if it really ruined the exploring experience for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom