• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What season is it in Breath of the Wild?

What season?

• Total voters
I Just came across a question I haven't seen asked. What season is it in Breath of the Wild? Looking at the day night cycle, it would probably be Spring or Fall. Judging by the leaves of many trees, and the plethora of plants, I would guess Spring. Any thoughts on this?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Hard hitting theory
What's your favorite or most frequent climate biome you like to go to? My favorite happens to be the Gerudo Highlands and the Boom Bam Golf area. The climate is unique being between desert and green. I wish proper seasons were installed then we could see howling winds in the fall/winter time thru the canyon areas that would make for some FUN flying especially ahead of a storm!
Seasons wouldn't have to be persistent. For example one winter could have more rain or snow then others by checking various perimeters. One winter could be a mild winter with little snow causing drought the next spring or the next could have a lot more winter. In real life air masses don't stay the same due to
Bernoulli's Principle
NWS JetStream - Learning Lesson: Going with the Flow (weather.gov)
Discussion
The affect is Bernoulli's principle in action, named after the Dutch/Swiss mathematician/scientist Daniel Bernoulli. By blowing between the two cans, you are making the air between them move faster than the surrounding air (which is basically calm). The cans roll together as the higher pressure surrounding the two cans (away from the air flow) pushes the cans together toward the region of lower pressure.

Congrats if you read this far: You win a a red rupee!

In other words high goes to low pressure the best it can do so. I'd love to see that in the next Zelda game if it takes place in the sky. You'd have to take into account upper wind flows which steer weather above a certain height. It will mess up or help you with your flying.

I agree, spring seems likely, late April-early May most likely.

I'm gonna go with summer tbh
never heard of apples that fruit in the springtime
That is a good point. I decided to Google it, though, and found two of the earliest ripening apples are Gala and July Red. They both ripen from June to July, and even have red skin. This means that either Hyrule does have apples that ripen in spring (unlike us), or their seasons are not determined by the amount of sunlight they receive (unlike us).

Uhhh dreath of the wild???
That's what I want to know. What's "Dreath" of the Wild? Some new(ish) game I never heard of? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever season utah is
Wait, Utah is a season??? :lol::lol::lol:

---------------

As for my best guess, if we're going off of real world logic, (Apples, Durions, Oaks[depending on what type they are] and all other trees that ain't Evergreens) I'd say it's safe to assume it's summer. Due to how green everything is. Also especially since there are active bee hives.

Uhhh dreath of the wild???

Fixed.

It's been a while since I played it... How is the sun moving in the sky? That could tell you a lot. The higher the sun is, the closer it is to the summer solstice

While the sun, and moon I might add, do move directly over head, the day/night cycle is even. Though, if the seasons are caused by something other than the amount of sunlight received, this doesn't help much.

As for my best guess, if we're going off of real world logic, (Apples, Durions, Oaks[depending on what type they are] and all other trees that ain't Evergreens) I'd say it's safe to assume it's summer. Due to how green everything is. Also especially since there are active bee hives.

I am tempted to add the monsoon like storms to the list. I'm not sure if there timing is local, or world wide, though.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
See what makes pinpointing a season really hard is that locations that are pretty close by look like they are in drastically different seasons. Akkala looks like it is in Fall, there are areas in Lanayru close to the border of Akkala that looks like it is in Spring, and then Central Hyrule looks like it could be in either late-Spring or Summer.

I'm not sure if there is a way to rationalize this. My flimsy thought is maybe those areas simply have certain trees that bloom at different timeframes? And I guess that would make Spring the most reasonable season to guess Hyrule is in?

It might be worth it to go to different areas to test tempatures, though.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
akkala being in fall may actually suggest seasons are still controlled at least in part by sunlight, as the volcanic ash probably would artificially obscure the sun thus giving it an early autumn

more argument for summer for the majority of the region in terms of sunlight is the fact sunrise starts at like 3am
hyrule is a mountainous region and if it took place in the early fall you could get places like akkala coexisting with places like gerudo highlands and gerudo desert fairly easily
hence "whatever season utah is" because you get winter mountains, summer desert, and fall valleys/foothills around the right time of year

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
My mind goes to Rock Woods and pumpkins but... Honestly, the ambiguous season perfectly fits my perception of the series that this is a *legend* of Zelda. Some remember it being autumn, some summer, some remember Link as a cel-shaded miscreant, some remember him as a young man who can shape-shift into a wolf. In one legend, there are trains, in another, only a few people living in holes in the ground, some remember a floating island or a Kirby enemy. The season is hardly the point but...it's autumn. Fight me.

hyrule is a mountainous region and if it took place in the early fall you could get places like akkala coexisting with places like gerudo highlands and gerudo desert fairly easily
hence "whatever season utah is" because you get winter mountains, summer desert, and fall valleys/foothills around the right time of year
and
akkala being in fall may actually suggest seasons are still controlled at least in part by sunlight, as the volcanic ash probably would artificially obscure the sun thus giving it an early autumn

This makes more since now. We may have one actual season, but the terrain, and other phenomenon, such as the volcanic ash that Fraxinus brings up may cause the environment to act like they are in other seasons. The summer in the high mountains may still have snow, and be very cold, but the winter just makes it colder. We may also have different soil types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom